Pepe Reina

Jareth

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Vox got 15% of the vote at the last Spanish election. So more UKIP than EDL, more populist than fascist. I don't agree with their politics, but I can't believe we're genuinely trying to cancel Pepe Reina because he's a bit Bréxito. We literally have John Terry as assistant manager. Newsflash: some footballers are a bit unreconstructed.

Displaying so much moral superiority and then calling someone who may have a genuine alcohol addiction a "drunk" is also a bit rich.

Not really interested in getting into a big argument over this as I like a lot of your posts but you're wrong in equating Vox with UKIP. The percentage vote a party gets has no bearing on their politics. They're extreme right. They openly display their adoration of Franco, were fervent opponents of his exhumation, anti-equality, anti-immigrant...so calling him a bit of a 'brexito' tends to feed into the narrative that allows a lot of these extreme parties to gain a foothold in mainstream politics.

• Like 1

Those posting about his political views have a genuine reasons not to like the guy. That’s fair enough. But how does that work from a support perspective? Do you just say your piece and the get behind him or does it go further than that? I.e. refuse to watch when he plays etc. 

Genuinely interested. 

Welcome Pepe!

I've not joined in with the calls for Nyland to remain our number 1 for the rest of the season, so I'm really happy with this signing. Experience, pedigree and undoubted leadership and calmness at the back.

I can just see him now, screaming at Konsa and Hause for the next player they let pass them. They'll be scared into performing better! He's our Heaton replacement and our on-field Nigel Pearson. I can't wait to see him strangle Hause the next time he passes the ball straight to an opposition striker!

pepe GIF

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except 2 weeks ago when you said Nyland was brilliant this season and would prefer hin over Heaton 🤔

This was his first start in the league and he was a horror show. Reminiscent of the Forest game.

Nyland got his chance. Didn't take it.

Edited by villalad21

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Those posting about his political views have a genuine reasons not to like the guy. That’s fair enough. But how does that work from a support perspective? Do you just say your piece and the get behind him or does it go further than that? I.e. refuse to watch when he plays etc. 

Genuinely interested. 

I support Villa not Reina and I won't stop because he's our 'keeper for the next few months, neither do I want him to fail because I don't agree with his support, tacit or otherwise, of the insidious force that is Vox. They really are a nasty bunch. 

That said, I won't be cutting off my nose to spite my face. I want us to stay up. Who knows? He might not even be first choice. He seems quite happy sitting on the bench, whether that's for Spain or at club level, and animating from the sidelines.

In any case I really don't think goalkeeper is our major issue. Aside from perhaps the first goal, I don't see what Nyland could've done to stop the others against City. I've said it before and I'll say it again, without a proper DM we're going down. Goalscoring isn't our problem, with or without Wesley. It's the midfield.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I support Villa not Reina and I won't stop because he's our 'keeper for the next few months, neither do I want him to fail because I don't agree with his support, tacit or otherwise, of the insidious force that is Vox. They really are a nasty bunch. 

That said, I won't be cutting off my nose to spite my face. I want us to stay up. Who knows? He might not even be first choice. He seems quite happy sitting on the bench, whether that's for Spain or at club level, and animating from the sidelines.

In any case I really don't think goalkeeper is our major issue. Aside from perhaps the first goal, I don't see what Nyland could've done to stop the others against City. I've said it before and I'll say it again, without a proper DM we're going down. Goalscoring isn't our problem, with or without Wesley. It's the midfield.

Good thing you're not a decision maker at the club. Goalkeeper is a very big issue.

Â