Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

His defensive strength isn't tackles or interceptions. Its him just being there to collect loose balls that would normally result in 50/50s that lead to goals. 

Maybe not your intent but I feel like you're are trivializing a very valuable skill for a midfielder. Tackles and interceptions are what you have to do when you don't collect the loose ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Maybe not your intent but I feel like you're are trivializing a very valuable skill for a midfielder. Tackles and interceptions are what you have to do when you don't collect the loose ball. 

He's average at tackles or interceptions. But he isn't brilliant. But if you look at all the top defensive midfielders they are right at the top on terms of loose balls collected. It's so important, if they don't get it someone else has to and often times that's the opponent. You can make 15-20 ball recoveries a game. A top ball winning DM will make 2 tackles or interceptions over Luiz. 

• Like 1

Really impressive performance from Dougie on Saturday was in contention for my MOTM. He might not ever be the intimidating physical presence in CDM that many have clamoured for but I see enough tenacity in his game and awareness to at least match the sort of defensive contribution JWP would give us which many of us were swooning for.

Glad to see the player we were worried about being bought by Man City has returned, certainly feels as if the midfield configuration was the issue more than the personnel. With a 3 man midfield Luiz won't be overloaded defensively and gets more time to showcase the parts of his game that gives him an edge which is the progressive passing and incisive balls from deep which I felt we saw for the first time in a long time vs Chelsea.

Would like to think being a key member of the Olympic Gold winning team has put a spring his step, he still is very young for his role but long may this form continue for him to pick up his place as one of Villa's most exciting players.

On 11/09/2021 at 23:54, M_Afro said:

He was really good today. When he plays well we seem to play well. I wonder if we will get him to sign a new contract. 

Have we offered him one as yet.? And if so has he turned it down, no idea if he has

On 11/09/2021 at 22:24, Keener window-cleaner said:

Not a concidence that his good form corresponds to him being played in his best position, that is the anchor in a three man midfield, he very much comes to his best in that position. 

He was badly let down by an unfit McGinn and a lazy Barkley last season.

With McGinn back to full fitness and Ramsey/Buendia/etc doing their job ahead of him, he's able to just control the space in front of the defence and shut off passing channels. That's what he's really good at. And then when that's going well, it seems to give him more confidence in possession. He just looked effortless (in a good way) against Chelsea.

• Like 1

Â