Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

6 hours ago, bcarpet said:

I think Dougie's best position is as box to box midfielder like how he played on Sat once Marv came on.  He just seems so much more comfortable there

See, I think it's the opposite. He's very good in both positions, but I think he's just more effective sitting in as the 6. He doesn't really have the composure in the final third. He was getting into great positions but fluffed the final passes. 

• Like 1

Personally I think Luiz is probably best in a flexible duo. Which keys him sit or attack. The issue is when he sits with McGinn if he is attacking no one is back. Ramsey however has let him be more adventurous with his forays into the opposition half. Personally I think we should either go with a Ramsey Luiz midfield duo with Buendia ahead for most of the season or sanson comes in and replaces McGinn when he's fit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

See, I think it's the opposite. He's very good in both positions, but I think he's just more effective sitting in as the 6. He doesn't really have the composure in the final third. He was getting into great positions but fluffed the final passes. 

Yeah only the 5 chances created and was it 8 shot creating actions? 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Yeah only the 5 chances created and was it 8 shot creating actions? 

Thanks Fbref. He was very good (like I said), I just think he's better as a 6, and we have players who can play that creative 8 position better (I think Buendia will eventually make that spot his own). We don't have anybody who can pass from deep like he does.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Thanks Fbref. He was very good (like I said), I just think he's better as a 6, and we have players who can play that creative 8 position better (I think Buendia will eventually make that spot his own). We don't have anybody who can pass from deep like he does.

Agreed. Worth noting as well that he took a few set pieces that players got on the end of which boosts the key passes stat, not like they all came from areas like the assist.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Agreed. Worth noting as well that he took a few set pieces that players got on the end of which boosts the key passes stat, not like they all came from areas like the assist.

It's not even that he fails to complete the final pass, his passing is very good. He often doesn't see the right passes in the final third. He's probably not as used to the position. From deep he can see everything in front of him and his decision making is usually better. Plus his awareness and ability to sniff out danger is very useful to us in that position.

17 hours ago, KentVillan said:
  • Cutting off passing options
  • Blocking runs, sensing danger early
  • Showing a player onto his weaker foot or into a weaker position
  • Holding shape / playing the right line

another important defensive capability 

• Holding back Gray when through on goal and not getting caught when you are the last man 😀
  • Haha 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

So surprised he got away with that. 

At the time I didn't think too much of it as I was caught up in the excitement of the game. But F me, watching the replays and pressing pause to see the position of the other players, it was as clear a Red Card as I will ever see. I am a bit perplexed as to why VAR did not pick it up. Surely it was clear an obvious

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

At the time I didn't think too much of it as I was caught up in the excitement of the game. But F me, watching the replays and pressing pause to see the position of the other players, it was as clear a Red Card as I will ever see. I am a bit perplexed as to why VAR did not pick it up. Surely it was clear an obvious

I think the way it just got brushed aside by the commentators and tv crews was amazing. Almost as if it didn’t happen? One replay, ‘yeh, that’s fine’, when it looked a blatant foul and probably a red card like you say. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the way it just got brushed aside by the commentators and tv crews was amazing. Almost as if it didn’t happen? One replay, ‘yeh, that’s fine’, when it looked a blatant foul and probably a red card like you say. 

I think we got away with it with VAR due to it being outside the box, and not dangerous play (or whatever term they use). We definitely rode our luck!

Edited by Woody1000

I'd like to see another attempt at 4 4 2 with Luiz and McGinn in midfield. Bailey / Buendia on wings and Ings playing off Watkins. 

I think if Ings is dropping deeper and linking up play, he can also add some numbers to midfield to make that work a little more like a 3 man midfield. 

Â