Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

You will see a new contract signed in the next 2 months. Dougie loves it at Villa. 

with displays like that, the feeling will be mutual.

The weighted pass for Cash's goal, was Jack like.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

3 tackles was enough to be number 1. That shocks me.

Generally 3-4 tackles per game will have you amongst the highest in the top leagues in Europe over the course of a season. 

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

4th highest Whoscored rating for PL players this game week. Beaten by Sarr (2 goals) Toney (goal and assist) and Silva (goal and clean sheet)

One of our best players so far this season

Without a doubt. Really surprising considering his form especially toward the back end of last season. 

We’re a much better side with an in form Luiz in it. 

I make that 3 in a row now. A summer with the Brazilian squad can't have done him any harm. Hope he can keep this run of form for as long as possible. You'd have to assume with the lack of any real break over the summer the fitness is going to have to be an issue at some point. That's when we need the likes of Marvelous, Sanson, Chuck to play their part in the squad and be ready to go. 

13 hours ago, Steero113 said:

You will see a new contract signed in the next 2 months. Dougie loves it at Villa. 

Is that based on opinion or on some inside knowledge? Not having a go, a genuine question, I really rate Dougie. Even when he was in bad form you know he has it and would be our best Midfielder on his day, I'd love to see him realise that potential. If he genuinely loves it here I'd love to see him commit on another 4 or 5 year deal and hopefully we can get to see Post-Lockdown-1 Dougie more regularly

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Without a doubt. Really surprising considering his form especially toward the back end of last season. 

We’re a much better side with an in form Luiz in it. 

To some.

To me it was more surprising that a player who could look so utterly dominant over a sustained period, albeit only 20 games or so, could eventually and deservedly so lose his place in the starting XI to Marvelous Nakamba.

This will continue to be a worry until he has done it over a much longer period of time. But I think, possibly because of where he came from and the pedigree he came with, and that this is his third season in the shirt, we forget that he’s still only 23 and will be all season long.

Yes, some players are brilliant from day dot, but for others consistency in particular comes with time. Especially in such a challenging position. 

• Like 1

I think his participation in both the Copa America and Olympics has really benefitted him at the start of this season. Playing in well performing sides allowed him to pick up a bit of form, confidence, and consistency he was missing much of last season. I was worried he would come back absolutely knackered after not much time off, but so far so good. We'll need to manage his minutes, but luckily we have more squad depth than previous seasons. Hoping to see much more of the player we caught glimpses of at the tail end of the 2020 season. 

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yep, football stats are really misleading.

Defensive contribution is spread across a lot of different actions (tackles/blocks/interceptions), and some don't show up in the stats:

• Cutting off passing options
  • Blocking runs, sensing danger early
  • Showing a player onto his weaker foot or into a weaker position
  • Holding shape / playing the right line

So much of defending is doing stuff like this which doesn't register as a statistic. I think Dougie is pretty good at this side of the game.

Most importantly ball recoveries. Normally ball recoveries will be 2-3 times what tackles+interceptions are. A good defensive Midfielder might have 3 or 4 tackles + interceptions per game. But could have 8 ball recoveries. 

It's the most important part of winning the ball back. Getting on clearances, picking up the ball after a block or someone else attempts a challenge. It's key. 

• Like 2

Â