Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Awful news. Dementia and then Covid-19, what a terrible way to lose Ron for Dean and his family. My thoughts are with them at this sad time. Another HEITS, gone too soon, such a cruel virus. :(

Edited by John

The dementia part of the story is so terribly sad, it makes me feel miserable. At least he isn't suffering anymore. RIP Ron Smith. Dean, I'm sure he would be incredibly proud of you and the person you have become.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Awful news. Dementia and then Covid-19, what a terrible way to lose Ron for Dean and his family. My thoughts are with them at this sad time. Another HEITS, gone too soon, such a cruel virus. :(

Was it really Covid? :(

Must hurt that bit more having to turn up for training to get this cursed season back up again. 

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was a steward at VP aswell wasn't he? Remember Dean saying in interview he went to see his Dad before play off final and said to him next meeting would be as premier league manager. Shame his Dad wouldn't have really known that. Dementia is a really horrible illness.

Will add a little bit more motivation to keep us up.

I wonder if he was the friendly steward I encountered at VP when I was there in 1999?

Thoughts are with Dean and his family 😔

I was just on FB and the first post I saw on one of the AVFC pages was a Birmingham fan who actually showed a fair bit of class and wrote a short but kind message. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

RIP

I remember Dean saying he had dementia IIRC, and he couldn't really grasp that his son became the manager of the club he loved. Very sad :( 

This is heartbreaking.

Very sorry to hear this, condolences to the family. Dementia is a horrible thing to begin with.

So first Bruce loses his parents while Villa manager and not Smith loses his father.

Really sad. Especially during this time when, presumably, Dean wouldn't have bee able to spend much, if any, time with his father in his final days. I assume the funeral will be compromised too.

I know thousands of people are in the same position in the country at the moment, but still makes it that bit sadder for Dean.

RIP

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Was it really Covid? :(

Must hurt that bit more having to turn up for training to get this cursed season back up again. 

I'm sure he'll have a few days off however as you stated "was it really covid?", we know there has been ongoing problems for a while, however I think Dean seems like a head strong character who would have been preparing himself for such moment (not that it makes it any less saddening for him of course). What we do know for sure is that his dad would have been immensely proud of his boy for his achievements, even more so because of it being our club he has achieved them at. Another Holte ender in the sky ❤️

There's something in me which finds it quite romantic that even though Dean's dad suffered with dementia, and may not have known about Dean's position, that now he's at rest whilst Dean's still Villa manager.. It makes it seem more "forever"? 

A tiny fraction of something, but wishing the Smith's all the best wishes and condolences at this sad time. 

Struggled to get any sleep last night when this news broke, having lost my mum to Dementia in 2018, it still feels very raw and all the sad feelings came back knowing what Dean and his family will be going through right now.

The Covid element just adds to the pain in terms of saying goodbye, social distancing, funeral arrangements ETC - I just hope Dean and his family can find solace in that he is no longer in pain and living with Dementia is no proper way to live.

RIP Ron 😪  Thoughts and prayers go out to Dean and other family members 💜💙

On a side note, I hope that the players can forge a real steely determination from this news and make sure that we get the wins that we need (for the gaffer) to secure top-flight football next season! 🤞 

• Like 1

Â