Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've always thought Pochettino comes across as quite humble.  I'd have been really pissed off as a Spurs fan to lose him and have Mourinho instead.  But yeah I have no idea why he is even being brought into the discussion as there's more chance of me being Villa manager.

@sharkyvilla for manager! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I baulked when he said, "i am not really a results man, but i am in a results industry, I'm more a performance man.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the point being made is that if you keep performing well results will come which is absolutely correct,

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

if you keep performing well results will come which is absolutely correct,

Not if the tactics are naive and flawed.

We leave too much space behind because of our style of play. Spurs home game is a good example. Go toe to toe against better teams and you'll lose 9/10 times.

If he says to the players the results will come but they don't i can imagine quite a few of the players feeling confused.

If we are to stay up this season the tactics HAS to change.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We leave too much space behind because of our style of play. Spurs home game is a good example. Go toe to toe against better teams and you'll lose 9/10 times.

If he says to the players the results will come but they don't i can imagine quite a few of the players feeling confused.

The point is if we keep giving away cheap goals as we have been then they aren't good performances regardless of the rest of the game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The point is if we keep giving away cheap goals as we have been then they aren't good performances regardless of the rest of the game.

Many of the cheap goals is a result of the tactics, playing out from the back. Playing high risk football.

The defensive set piece issue is the baffling one. Worst in the league yet it isn't being addressed.

Just now, Stratvillan said:

Thinking over the last 2 league games, 

Leicester, Reina and mings individual mistakes

Spurs , engels individual mistake

None of these were playing out from the back, just stupid individual errors. 

What about Mings in the Man Utd game?  Messed around and lost the ball which led to a corner. They scored on following corner.

You can find examples of individual mistakes which has nothing to do with playing out from the back, sure. But don't come on tell me that Dean's tactics and instructions has not been a major factor in us being the worst defensive team in the league.

We play high risk football and individual mistakes is inevitable playing like this.

19 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Thinking over the last 2 league games, 

Leicester, Reina and mings individual mistakes

Spurs , engels individual mistake

None of these were playing out from the back, just stupid individual errors.

Don't forget Heaton giving away the penalty against tinpot Bournemouth, and Luiz giving the ball away for the other goal. Silly, naive mistakes also born from rashness and a lack of concentration.

I'd like to think the time away has given the coaching staff time time to discuss these things in great detail with the players.

We have a good squad in many ways, lacking in key areas, but if we can stay up, it will be because we do also have the ability to do so.

Edited by The_Steve

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The issue is that we changed tactics halfway through the season after a series of games where the results didn't quite go our way despite us putting in an excellent effort. When you can't defend for shit because your Midfield doesn't have any presence you don't sit back and stop attacking like we have done in the second half of the season and hope Jack magics us a goal. That is not a recipe for winning we should be attacking as much as humanly possible as a team. We need to score more goals than the opposition to win. We can't win like the way we have been playing as it gives teams headstarts against us and against better teams we can't come back from that.

We need to attack and go for the throat instead of sitting back and letting the opposition have 90% possession. Part of it is we lack pace but the other part of it is when we clear the ball we never put it out for a throw in wbuch would give us time to get reorganised and mount a higher press to win the ball back and counter.

With mcginn back we might be in a better position now and I personally think mcginn needs to be deeper than he was at the start of the season so he can start attacks but we still need to be aggressive and try to score 3 goals a game because our defemc is so bad it is good when we only concede 1.

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The issue is that we changed tactics halfway through the season after a series of games where the results didn't quite go our way despite us putting in an excellent effort. When you can't defend for shit because your Midfield doesn't have any presence you don't sit back and stop attacking like we have done in the second half of the season and hope Jack magics us a goal. That is not a recipe for winning we should be attacking as much as humanly possible as a team. We need to score more goals than the opposition to win. We can't win like the way we have been playing as it gives teams headstarts against us and against better teams we can't come back from that.

We need to attack and go for the throat instead of sitting back and letting the opposition have 90% possession. Part of it is we lack pace but the other part of it is when we clear the ball we never put it out for a throw in wbuch would give us time to get reorganised and mount a higher press to win the ball back and counter.

With mcginn back we might be in a better position now and I personally think mcginn needs to be deeper than he was at the start of the season so he can start attacks but we still need to be aggressive and try to score 3 goals a game because our defemc is so bad it is good when we only concede 1.

We'll get relegated if we go gung ho.

You won't get away with it in this league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the point being made is that if you keep performing well results will come which is absolutely correct,

It depends what "performing well", really means...Its an opinion in the eye of the beholder.

It is usually true granted, but the above, still leaves a lot to do.

The result is a fact.

He also said  "teams mirror their Managers"....another interesting ditty, to chew the cud over.

Arsenal was a good example of a well performing team winning nothing and it took some time for their fans to come to terms with it. Arsene Wenger was a fine manager, but after he inherited the back four from George Graham, he had difficulty replicating it only when he had Viera and Petit, did he come close to a complete team.

I say "performing well" fundamentally is when the offensive and defensive capability of the team, is tested and comes through with flying colours and usually results in a win.....some would say 5-5 is performing well, I would say, only in parts.

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Whether you agree or not Matt Busby: "Winning isn't everything. There should be no conceit in victory and no despair in defeat."

he was caught on a bad day.

He actually said "winning isn't everything, but coming second isn't worth getting out of bed for"lol.

The record books, don't make contingencies.....they are clear as which entries they want.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've always thought Pochettino comes across as quite humble.  I'd have been really pissed off as a Spurs fan to lose him and have Mourinho instead.  But yeah I have no idea why he is even being brought into the discussion as there's more chance of me being Villa manager.

Relax, you're safe.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@TRO for clarity that was by no means me saying we have been playing well. I completely agree with the principle, but it is irrelevant to us as we've not been good enough.

I was just reacting to Dean Smiths claim that he has never been a results person....He claims he looks for performances ( which is a legitimate claim too) but for me, is incomplete.

Sam some would say we performed well against Spurs at home....in one context, they would be right, in another context, they would be wrong.....it depends what a spectator is looking at or looking for that determines, performing well.

My idea of playing well, is not conceding 3 goals at home, so its a part where I would disagree with someone claiming that.....but its opinions.

The game is really simple you score more goals than the opposition, if you can't ,you make sure they don't score......during a game its nip and tuck and you have to be ready to do both....if you can only do one, its hardly a complete performance.

Ps I used to be a Fleet Sales Manager for a eminent car company.....If I said to my boss, I am a performances first person, never really been a results person.....my days would have been numbered.....I had to get results and I lasted in a high pressure industry for c 10 years......when I rarely missed my target, I had to have a very good reason for it....and my modus operandi, would come under scrutiny. I accepted that as " The Job". It may seem harsh to some in less pressurised Jobs, But the pressure focused the mind and hitting targets, like winning matches, becomes a habit.....If they had of said to me, well, you didn't hit your target, but you worked hard and meant well......I would have missed many,many more......I am now retired, but I know my bosses were instrumental in my success.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

Sam some would say we performed well against Spurs at home....in one context, they would be right, in another context, they would be wrong.....it depends what a spectator is looking at or looking for that determines, performing well.

My idea of playing well, is not conceding 3 goals at home, so its a part where I would disagree with someone claiming that.....but its opinions.

The game is really simple you score more goals than the opposition, if you can't ,you make sure they don't score......during a game its nip and tuck and you have to be ready to do both....if you can only do one, its hardly a complete performance.

I completely get what you're saying and 9 times out of 10 I'd agree.

Where I think we'd differ, is I'd argue the Nottingham Forest game last year was a good example of playing well and not getting the result. They had 5 targets on shot and scored all 5 and I don't remember us being bad defensively.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

What about Mings in the Man Utd game?  Messed around and lost the ball which led to a corner. They scored on following corner.

You can find examples of individual mistakes which has nothing to do with playing out from the back, sure. But don't come on tell me that Dean's tactics and instructions has not been a major factor in us being the worst defensive team in the league.

We play high risk football and individual mistakes is inevitable playing like this.

I'm not disagreeing, just arguing that 8tsp not just 1 thing, it's a combination. Some of which Smith has to take responsibility for, some Suso has to, and some the individual players.

We are a club, it can't be 1 blokes fault. 

Â