Dean Smith

Demitri_C

So basically he is saying he might be open to a Newcastle move if the Saudi's pony up enough blood money to feed a small country for a decade.

Move along, nothing to see here.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

So basically he is saying he might be open to a Newcastle move if the Saudi's pony up enough blood money to feed a small country for a decade.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Still. Would f***ing love Poch!

In that interview Pochettino cites Arsenal and Spurs as examples of clubs outside the top six, so when he says that he'd be willing to join a club outside the top six it's that stature of club that he's referring to rather than a club like ours in our current situation. If Smith was to leave and we were still in the premier league (which I don't think will happen, because if he keeps us up then he'll keep his job), then I think the kind of ambitous move we might go for is someone like Leonardo Jardim, or someone like him who has a reputation for working wth youngsters.

• Like 2

Have a feeling it might be Suso more likely to go than Smith, not saying that that's right or wrong just that it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, useless said:

Have a feeling it might be Suso more likely to go than Smith, not saying that that's right or wrong just that it wouldn't surprise me.

The "Hugely experienced" Suso when using Purslow's words.

Just goes to show experience is an incredibly overrated concept. 

Was reading today that Southampton have got lots of financial issues even before covid hit, talk they'll have to sell likes of Ings and Redmond in the summer unless they're sold.

I've always like Hasenhuttl from his Leipzig days and thought it was a coup when they got him (when they were bottom 3 in the league). The results haven't been earth shattering in the 18 months they've been there but tbh Saints been on a downward spiral for quite a few seasons now.

They've been in pretty good form ever since the infamous 9-0 game and I reckon he's the type who'd improve the squad we've got here, Southampton's pressing in midfield has certainly overwhelmed us in the two games we've played this season.

He's another I'd add to the list in the even of their being a vacancy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd be surprised if the owners got rid of Suso, they obviously gave him the remit to sign young players that can improve so the fact that they haven't quite come off yet shouldnt be a surprise to them.  

said before, I think part of his remit could be to build a squad that could stay up and then develop and get better but if we go down the squad could stay largely intact and bully the championship

its the player turnover that kills us if we get relegated and then come back up, we cant do what we did last time going down or coming up, we got it badly wrong, I think suso hasnt

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

said before, I think part of his remit could be to build a squad that could stay up and then develop and get better but if we go down the squad could stay largely intact and bully the championship

its the player turnover that kills us if we get relegated and then come back up, we cant do what we did last time going down or coming up, we got it badly wrong, I think suso hasnt

McGinn will have a lot of interest

Jack will be gone

Trezeguet and Luiz are Internationals. Would want to leave

Mings i think will stay. Seem to have a genuine love for the club

Samatta i think will also be gone

I think what we'll be left with is mediocre. No real goalscorers. I think it will be a real struggle, with top 6 being the most realistic outcome.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn will have a lot of interest

Jack will be gone

Trezeguet and Luiz are Internationals. Would want to leave

Mings i think will stay. Seem to have a genuine love for the club

Samatta i think will also be gone

I think what we'll be left with is mediocre. No real goalscorers. I think it will be a real struggle, with top 6 being the most realistic outcome.

McGinn will have a £30m price tag and has imo missed too much of this season and been too poor to justify it

Trez might have an option to leave as he's constantly linked back to Turkey, Luiz I don't see leaving, not been good enough for the PL and can't see a mid table Spanish team paying what we would want for him

Agree on mings, again I don't see anyone paying the £30m we would want for him

Samatta depends on how we finish, he would smash the championship, you'd hope that if he scores enough goals to get some better teams interested in him then he also scores enough goals to keep us up...needing another striker is probably an issue regardless of what league we're in, championship could see Barry step up for games 

Heaton with his injury stays which is huge 

It'll be less work than staying up, 2 or 3 good players and we will be very strong down there 

Think Mings is more likely to go than McGinn.

Said before but a spine of Heaton- Mings/new CB- McGinn-El Ghazi-Samatta and a couple of new signings in the attacking areas would be a far superior spine to what we had when we were relegated in 2016.

Back then we were pining our hopes on Rudy Gestede to fire us back up and Elphick to hold it together at the back before we eventually signed some better quality for that level in the last week of the transfer window.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

McGinn will have a £30m price tag and has imo missed too much of this season and been too poor to justify it

Trez might have an option to leave as he's constantly linked back to Turkey, Luiz I don't see leaving, not been good enough for the PL and can't see a mid table Spanish team paying what we would want for him

Agree on mings, again I don't see anyone paying the £30m we would want for him

Samatta depends on how we finish, he would smash the championship, you'd hope that if he scores enough goals to get some better teams interested in him then he also scores enough goals to keep us up...needing another striker is probably an issue regardless of what league we're in, championship could see Barry step up for games 

Heaton with his injury stays which is huge 

It'll be less work than staying up, 2 or 3 good players and we will be very strong down there 

Look at the games where Jack is having a stinker. Everything falls apart.

Literally everything we do in the final third goes through Jack. Just don't see where the creativity is coming from without him. We only won 2/12 games when Jack was out last season.

Just can't share the same opinion. We certainly will not boss the Championship. And top 6 in the Championship shouldn't be a surprise, that's probably where we are. But i'd be happy to be wrong.

Edited by villalad21

Pochettino, reminds me of Martin o'Neill. Not as good a manager as he thinks he is. I think he's a bit of a snide tbh, he was happy to depart from Spurs,thinking he was going to get the Utd job on the back of Solskjaers failure. Look how that's turned out.

Now the boredoms set in,  he's putting himself out there. Tin pot, Bournemouth, anybody ?

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Pochettino, reminds me of Martin o'Neill. Not as good a manager as he thinks he is. I think he's a bit of a snide tbh, he was happy to depart from Spurs,thinking he was going to get the Utd job on the back of Solskjaers failure. Look how that's turned out.

Now the boredoms set in,  he's putting himself out there. Tin pot, Bournemouth, anybody ?

Danny Murphy said he isnt what Newcastle need 😂

14 hours ago, useless said:

30 minute audio interview with Dean Smith here

'Thanks Dean give my regards to all at Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath'

I listened to it.

He came across as a very nice guy, very affable, but not sure his demeanor is commanding or demanding enough.....I baulked when he said, "i am not really a results man, but i am in a results industry, I'm more a performance man.

The trouble is you need to be both.

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've always thought Pochettino comes across as quite humble.  I'd have been really pissed off as a Spurs fan to lose him and have Mourinho instead.  But yeah I have no idea why he is even being brought into the discussion as there's more chance of me being Villa manager.

• Like 1

Â