New Manager Speculation

maqroll

villa won plenty of fun games under bruce. we went on decent unbeaten runs too, we just didn't quite do that bit extra to stay ahead. villa 4 wolves 1 was fun, beating blues was fun, the last minute winner v cardiff was fun, etc.

no team plays perfect football in both halves, and I am not denying the disappointments either, but to suggest we had no fun in a season where we finished 4th is rather extreme

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villan_007 said:

It's fair enough if you don't fancy him as manager, but you haven't got a scooby what he does with his time and who he watches, so why make up complete nonsense?

Lukaku has already said in a recent interview during the world cup that his knowledge of world football is mind boggling, Including having in-depth knowledge of the German second tier of all things.

Sure he is inexperienced, but we live in a digital world, you can do your own homework. He has wanted to go in this direction for many yrs. Shadowed Wenger in coaching, completed his coaching license with arteta and Vieira. Part of that course is managing a side for a season at u18 level. He got knocked back by Wenger after applying for a coach role there as Wenger didn't want someone he considered a potential rival in future yrs in the role. He even offered to work unpaid for the role, something you also think he wouldn't do is take a pay cut. This proves he would for the right role.

It wasn't a surprise to those following his coaching journey that he landed a high profile role at Belgium, similar to arteta at city.

I don't know if this will turn out for the best,  but why paint a negative picture based on nothing other than you don't want him. He hasn't been sitting in his underpants and suddenly thought I want to be a manager. There is a journey there.

Excellent sir, just excellent. The crap on this thread is quite astonishing and a little embarrassing, jeez guys get out the house, go get laid and cheer up!!! #BruceOut #HenryIn *Puts tin hat on* 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's thinking like this that paralysed us in a number of matches last season. Bruce was so fearful of losing (he said that himself) that we hardly got out of our own half.

If we the fans start fearing the consequences of going forward as a club, we're in trouble, and if our new owners are afraid to embrace the challenge then we're never going to go anywhere.

Sounds like motivational guff to me but each to their own. 

Like all the crap posted on LinkedIn these days about how much better your life will be if you just embrace change and smile more. 

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Will it be more fun than Bruce? It is just a game and a football club. I'd like it to be fun again, remember when Villa used to be fun?

This is year 8.

It’s all personal opinion but for me I thoroughly enjoyed last season. Well except for the soul crushingly painful finish. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It might be.

It might be way WAY less fun.

I've been saying for months that people vastly exaggerate the "bad" football that Bruce plays. It may well be something like this that proves that.

Totally agree. 

New owners inevitably tend to bring their own manager in. That's just how it is. I don't see the issue. Bruce is no fool, he knows how the game works. Is Henry the answer? A lot will depend on the team around him. Let's just wait and see shall we?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's thinking like this that paralysed us in a number of matches last season. Bruce was so fearful of losing (he said that himself) that we hardly got out of our own half.

If we the fans start fearing the consequences of going forward as a club, we're in trouble, and if our new owners are afraid to embrace the challenge then we're never going to go anywhere.

to address the bolded point first, this was largely due to the forums/facebook being riddled with "Bruce out" after every defeat (and it went right back to the start of the season - take a look at R&R of cardiff thread)

and i think we have the right to fear going forward as a club right now, it was trying to move forward too quickly which made us an egyptian and an american away from going into administration. i hate to break it to you, but we're ALREADY in trouble. the squad is weaker than last season, and will only get weaker with the probable sales of our 2 best players. if you really think that an unproven manager will get a squad of mid-table quality promoted, above others that are spending and spending wisely, then i admire your optimism...but forgive those of us that think we just need to keep a bit of stability following what will have been quite a turbulent summer

bruce probably wont get us promoted this season, but i dont know many managers out there that would...but there are plenty that could get us relegated quite easily, and i dont think bruce would be one of them

39 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

to address the bolded point first, this was largely due to the forums/facebook being riddled with "Bruce out" after every defeat (and it went right back to the start of the season - take a look at R&R of cardiff thread)

and i think we have the right to fear going forward as a club right now, it was trying to move forward too quickly which made us an egyptian and an american away from going into administration. i hate to break it to you, but we're ALREADY in trouble. the squad is weaker than last season, and will only get weaker with the probable sales of our 2 best players. if you really think that an unproven manager will get a squad of mid-table quality promoted, above others that are spending and spending wisely, then i admire your optimism...but forgive those of us that think we just need to keep a bit of stability following what will have been quite a turbulent summer

bruce probably wont get us promoted this season, but i dont know many managers out there that would...but there are plenty that could get us relegated quite easily, and i dont think bruce would be one of them

In the interests of balance, it should be pointed out that Bruce has two relegations on his CV.  So he is capable of it.

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

So a manager with 20 years experience was afraid of losing because of what was written on social media sites? I hope the next bloke isn’t such a snowflake. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

If this was the choice when Di Matteo was sacked, Bruce or Henry? I think i’d most certainly go for Bruce. Things have changed a hell of a lot since then (not the new owners) and Bruce should get a lot of credit for that, the difference in team spirit is massive, and we could quite easily of have gone down that season.

I do however think we need a fresh approach and I don’t actually mind the Henry risk.

I’ve said something similar during one of our previous new manager discussions but there is so much luck in a managerial appointment. You can control it to a certain extent but the fact is, inexperienced managers have flourished and bombed. Experienced and very successful managers have also bombed in new roles. There just seems to be that sort of right man right time sort of thing.

• Like 3

Remember when Lerner hired McLeish. Now that was mental. We still clapped him when he walked across Craven Cottage in his first game. I did get abuse when I started singing Alex McLeishes claret n blue army on the coach to the game though.  In my defence I had been drinking

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It might be.

It might be way WAY less fun.

I've been saying for months that people vastly exaggerate the "bad" football that Bruce plays. It may well be something like this that proves that.

my issue was we sometimes saw the 'good' football that Bruce plays with games such as the win against Wolves showing that we could go on the front foot and destroy teams, that wasn't a one off either but sadly  we didn't do that often enough at all. The way we played against Fulham in the play off final was a typical performance under Bruce, tepid, scared, safety first, reacting to the spectre of losing too late.

If he stays i hope that Bruce takes the shackles off the team and we play to win every game, rather than playing not to lose.

If Henry comes in... i'll back him, wouldn't be my first choice for manager but no manager we pick ever seems to work out since MON walked.

Edited by VillanousOne

RDM was driven out of the door barely 3 months into the job, and on paper he had a far better CV than Henry. Jut saying. All of our foreign managers have been utter failures. Dr Jo, Houllier, Garde, RDM.

If it does happen I just hope it won't be the same people  down the line saying he should be sacked as the same people who want any change as long it is not Bruce.

I can't see why a lot of people assume Henry will play attacking football. 

Personally I think he will be that desperate not to lose and the press following his every move that we will end up a defensive counter attacking team.