New Manager Speculation

maqroll

22 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

The problem with Bruce is he is a work hard manager.  Thats fine getting players at the likes of Hull to work hard as they lack ability and probably the only way they would get promoted.  I said it time after time that Villa was to big a club for Bruce.  He is unable to utilize the extra ability Villa players obviously have over the opposition team and falls back into the same old negative, self preserving football time after time.

I'm not saying Henry is the answer but if we are to move forward as a club, and lets face it there is never going to be a better time then we have to get rid of Bruce.  If that means an inexperienced manager who talks like he would bring a breath of fresh air to Villa then so be it. 

Pretty sure we are down to a choice of two - so if you want Bruce out you are going to get Henry   (personally I think its done and we are just finalising things)

Going back to the point of top players often failing at management reminds me of something. 

To be a good manager you have to have a) a vision of how you want the team to play and b) get that accross to the players so they know what is expected of them and buy into it and c) when the plan is not working how to change and react. 

However that vision and those instructions need to be in accordance with the abilities of the players. 

A few years ago my work did a social at a rifle club in Stechford shooting rifles. 

Some young (20's) kid who apparently had just made the national squad was trying to teach me.  He confided however that he wasn't a very good teacher.  He said that when he first started he just picked up the gun and started shooting bulseyes.  He was a complete natural and didn't understand why everyone else couldn't just do the same thing, he didn't really know what to impart to them to make them better and found it all very frustrating. 

Bringing my analogy back to football maybe these great players can see what's needed, read how the game is going, understand what's required but just don't understand the limitations of the players at their disposal and why they can't do what's asked of them to fix it. 

Obviously the greatest managers completely understand this and tailor their plans around their players capabilities. 

That's what I reckon anyway.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Pretty sure we are down to a choice of two - so if you want Bruce out you are going to get Henry   (personally I think its done and we are just finalising things)

Think its nearly anybody but Bruce since we came into money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Some young (20's) kid who apparently had just made the national squad was trying to teach me.  He confided however that he wasn't a very good teacher.  He said that when he first started he just picked up the gun and started shooting bulseyes.  He was a complete natural and didn't understand why everyone else couldn't just do the same thing, he didn't really know what to impart to them to make them better and found it all very frustrating. 

Bringing my analogy back to football maybe these great players can see what's needed, read how the game is going, understand what's required but just don't understand the limitations of the players at their disposal and why they can't do what's asked of them to fix it. 

That's pretty much was is said about Zola (and Hoddle).   They could just do it and couldn't figure out why others could not.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

We took gambles on inexperienced managers like to di matteo and Sherwood. 3rd times a charm? 

Do we call a manager who won the Champions league and got a team promoted to the Premier League "inexperienced"? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If Henry is considered a valuable part of that engine, alongside other high-calibre people (lazy examples being Bould, Wenger, Cortese) the risk becomes less and the strategy becomes evident.

Until we know or see the full plans of the new owners any isolated discussion around a particular job role is largely moot.

Absolutely this. 

As I alluded to earlier, if Henry is properly recruited, interviewed and is part of a larger plan then it becomes much less risky. Still risky, but much more promising.

If it's just a case of "i've heard of him" then we might be in trouble.

4 minutes ago, rubberman said:

That's pretty much was is said about Zola (and Hoddle).   They could just do it and couldn't figure out why others could not.

Yeah I've heard that a few times about Hoddle.

"Just do it like this" and then frustration when you just can't do it.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall tomorrow when Steve Bruce sits down with our new owners.

"First question Steve .... What is your plan for this season?" "Same as last season, keep things stable. We're going to get our experienced pros to tie their boots up tight and get out on that pitch on match days and sort it out on the pitch."

"Second question Mr Bruce .... How will you develop and integrate our promising young players?" "Well, firstly we'll teach them to tie their boots up tight and then we'll sit a couple of them on the bench on match days so they can watch how the old, er sorry I mean experienced players sort things out."

"I see .... Final question .... What tactics will you use? "I'm glad you've asked me that question. I don't do tactics, and I'm not prepared to compromise my philosophy, because it would destabilize the stability that I've worked so hard at stabling!"

"Thank you Steve, that will be all."

PS: I like Bruce, he's a very decent guy, but as I've said a number of times on here I think he's a limited manager.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

What  does that have to do with it? Playing and managing are two very different skill sets as has been stated in this thread numerous times. 

Indeed. Otherwise I'd be saying Henry played against AVFC many times during his career so he is a suitable candidate.

If ever we needed to get playing some meaningful football it’s now, in my view.....what with the debate all last season, the hope, the failure, the near extinction, and now another pretty ferocious Manager debate.....I can’t wait to have actual football to moan about/ enjoy !

What people forget about Henry is he is a thinking mans footballer. He was always thinking about his game and how to adapt and how to make the best out of his abilities. He didn't just rely on pace. He picked up positions in areas because he knew he could hurt a team from there. He knows how the game works and he has been coached by the very best. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall tomorrow when Steve Bruce sits down with our new owners.

"First question Steve .... What is your plan for th......?" "WELLLL I’ve said all along, same as last season, keep things stable. We're going to get our experienced pros to tie their boots up tight and get out on that pitch on match days and sort it out on the pitch."

"Second question Mr Bruce .... How will you develop and integrate our promising yo........?" "Well, firstly we'll teach them to tie their boots up tight and then we'll sit a couple of them on the bench on match days so they can watch how the old, er sorry I mean experienced players sort things out."

"I see .... Final question .... What tactics w.......? "I'm glad, I’m glad  you've asked me that question because, as we all know, I don't do tactics, and I'm not prepared to compromise my philosophy, because it would destabilize the stability that I've worked so hard at stabling!"

"Thank you Steve, that will be all."

PS: I like Bruce, he's a very decent guy, but as I've said a number of times on here I think he's a limited manager.

Amended slightly to keep it realistic....

Lots of players become successful managers but are there many strikers who do so?

I always associate successful players-turned-manager as being a big centre back or possibly midfielder. Same way as I always prefer my captain to be a centre back or possibly midfielder.

4 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Lots of players become successful managers but are there many strikers who do so?

I always associate successful players-turned-manager as being a big centre back or possibly midfielder. Same way as I always prefer my captain to be a centre back or possibly midfielder.

Alan Shearer......... Oh wait

The thing is IF Henry becomes manager what are our expectations of him in his 1st season. And if he fails to reach get promoted or be up there fighting for a playoff place will we turn on him?

Cause let’s face it without Terry, Snodgrass, Johnston and Grabban and still possibly Grealish and whoever else we might sell we are a weaker team. Especially as we can’t afford to replace them with any quality.

Chances are it’s going to be a naff season but will we show Henry patience? It is doubtful considering how quickly peoples mood turn negative after even one defeat.