New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Before he was linked with us I thought that Henry was more likely than not to become a very decent manager somewhere. The link with us flatters us I think because I really did not suspect he would start with a club outside of the top flight but our new owners tend to get what they want I would guess. I like the knowledge that Henry has about players in German League 2 but he would need to have money available to bring in even players from outside of the top flights in Europe and the suggestion is that money would still be tight this season. Could he get the players we already have playing the way he would want or would he need to bring in some new players to make his ideas work? I think if we had some money to spend on the squad his chances of doing something big here would be greatly increased. If we are to have a new manager I am happy to accept the new owners choice and hope that it pays off in the same way should they choose to stick with Bruce then he will also have my support.      

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Where on earth  have you got that idea from ? 

Common sense not itk. No one surely would give a novice a job without a) an experienced coach or dof, b) there's no way he's going to challenge without 2 or 3. Proper loan signings. 

12 minutes ago, Dick said:

I've argued with people on here about him. But also on twitter.

I don't think anyone classes either Sherwood or Bruce as heroes.

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

there's no way he's going to challenge without 2 or 3. Proper loan signings. 

I agree, think this will be a lot of new faces in at once, if it happens. European window shuts end of August so lots of time to pick up x4 Gils for £10mill total. 

5 minutes ago, John said:

Before he was linked with us I thought that Henry was more likely than not to become a very decent manager somewhere. The link with us flatters us I think because I really did not suspect he would start with a club outside of the top flight but our new owners tend to get what they want I would guess. I like the knowledge that Henry has about players in German League 2 but he would need to have money available to bring in even players from outside of the top flights in Europe and the suggestion is that money would still be tight this season. Could he get the players we already have playing the way he would want or would he need to bring in some new players to make his ideas work? I think if we had some money to spend on the squad his chances of doing something big here would be greatly increased. If we are to have a new manager I am happy to accept the new owners choice and hope that it pays off in the same way should they choose to stick with Bruce then he will also have my support.      

If it happens that he does come in then the bolded part may well balance themselves out. How expensive would it be to loan players from lower divisions in Europe or "B" team players and youngsters of top league players who would jump at the chance to come and play at Villa under Henry?

I'm certainly not advocating the Sherwood debacle again but two, three, maybe four well-chosen additions from the Henry database , correctly used over the season, could be a cheap and effective way of strengthening a squad.

As I've said elsewhere, this league ain't much cop from a technical footballing aspect and skillful players rip most of the teams apart in their pitch areas.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think anyone classes either Sherwood or Bruce as heroes.

I know it's not the place for the most well thought out opinions, but I've seen that sentiment on Facebook and Twitter a lot. With Sherwood in particular I've even had fans of other clubs on some forums tell me that he was great for us and I should be more grateful for him.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

26 minutes ago, Dick said:

I've argued with people on here about him. But also on twitter.

I refuse to believe this is anything other than tongue in cheek. Not even these subsequent seasons could make me warm to Sherwood even slightly, he is and was awful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm thinking this might happen so I've got me cash out and am off to Coral to put a bet on, hope they're still taking bets...

Phone them and see....thats whats been reported.

3 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I know it's not the place for the most well thought out opinions, but I've seen that sentiment on Facebook and Twitter a lot. With Sherwood in particular I've even had fans of other clubs on some forums tell me that he was great for us and I should be more grateful for him.

To be fair I had a debate with a poster on this very forum who claimed that Sherwood would have gained automatic promotion in his first season if he'd been appointed instead of Bruce.

Madness :D 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

After 1.75 seasons at the helm, we're still in the championship. Where exactly has he brought us? He can get us competing no doubt, but hes most likely not taking us anywhere.

Don't really see the fuss in bringing someone else to possibly take us to the next step. Worst case scenario is we're exact in the same position as now. 

But that's not the worst case scenario is it? Jeez, talk about blue sky thinking.

We could have finished up to 20 places lower last season, there's a lot of scope for things to get worse, we could get relegated again.

And yes, that could also happen if we kept SB on but you would have to admit that it's really not too likely.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But that's not the worst case scenario is it? Jeez, talk about blue sky thinking.

This is the point I was making earlier.

Loads of people saying this kind of thing. Or "can't be any worse than Bruce"

Yes. Yes it can. It could very very easily be worse than that.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think some people see dropping out of the PL as the worst thing imaginable.

It's not the worst thing imaginable, in English football the rabbit hole runs very very deep.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Will it be more fun than Bruce? It is just a game and a football club. I'd like it to be fun again, remember when Villa used to be fun?

This is year 8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1