New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Still think there's a sting in the tail of this story. :detect:

I hope so.

I really do feel now is the perfect time for us to go in a different direction and really focus on using our youth team more and developing an identity. Might be 2-5 years of pain but would be better in the long run financially and for footballing reasons.

Whether Henry was the man to do that or not i'm unsure, I just know Bruce isn't. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I hope so.

I really do feel now is the perfect time for us to go in a different direction and really focus on using our youth team more and developing an identity. Might be 2-5 years of pain but would be better in the long run financially and for footballing reasons.

Whether Henry was the man to do that or not i'm unsure, I just know Bruce isn't. 

PM'd you mate. 

100% agree btw.

15 minutes ago, eholm said:

According to TalkSport, Henry is set to become Egypt national manager. Adds even more weight to the talk of him talking to NSWE over our own managerial position......

I thought the same when i read this a few minutes ago.

Was there just too much media opposition from SB's mates?

• Like 2

Possibly,  but I doubt billionaire owners would be swayed by some of Bruce's mates. I am confident that they did speak to Henry but I guess the real reason it was not pursued will never be known. 

• Like 1

On 30 juli 2018 at 14:33, Jareth said:

I'd like this thread open just cos there's a chance we might get Rafa (yeah I know it ain't happening). 

I'd love to have Rafa, but if we want free flowing football I dont think he's the right man. Would be more of the keep tight at the back and nick a goal tactics, just on a higher level than Brucie.

47 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I thought the same when i read this a few minutes ago.

Was there just too much media opposition from SB's mates?

I'd say it's more likely they're being advised by agents/advisors rather than reporters. 

I think we should wait to be an established premier league club again before thinking of these mad strategies to play tika taka football.

We've seen last season if the players feel confident enough they will knock it about. but if they don't they will launch it. I think a long winning streak 6 or 7 games the players start believing in themselves you'll start seeing pass and move aplenty.

However the first few games are going to be ugly as **** till we find out how good we are.

Bruce is the best man for the job. get behind him stop dreaming. Henry would have been a nightmare like remi garde.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eholm said:

Possibly,  but I doubt billionaire owners would be swayed by some of Bruce's mates. I am confident that they did speak to Henry but I guess the real reason it was not pursued will never be known. 

Of course the owners weren't swayed by Bruce's mates. It was the poll in the Birmingham Mail that was the real turning point. 54 out of 71 people voted for Bruce to stay so that clinched it.

• Haha 1

For the record, I thought that Henry was far too risky an appointment. I don't think that Sawiris and Edens were persuaded by a section of the media, but I do think they were aware of the media in general (and fans) waiting to pounce on anything less than a positive start to the season if an untried head coach had been appointed. Henri would have needed a honeymoon period that we didn't have time to give him, and even then it could still have ended in tears. 

However, I would have replaced Bruce with Dean Smith to kickstart our transition from negative to positive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Of course the owners weren't swayed by Bruce's mates. It was the poll in the Birmingham Mail that was the real turning point. 54 out of 71 people voted for Bruce to stay so that clinched it.

Exactly who did they poll, Bruce's fan club members I think. There are far more people dissatisfied with Bruce than happy with him.  Too many believe the Project Fear mongers that we are doomed without him.

Edited by R1chuk
Spelling
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

There’s some tweet going around that suggests Rafa was offered to Spain as WC manager !!

They asked him when they sacked manager to do it as a stop gap and he sensibly said no as that would have been an awful move in that situation

though I think he will take Spain job after Newcastle

Rafa Benitez launched a stinging criticism of Newcastle's summer activity as he said he has "no idea" about what transfers might happen.

As for the chances of the club bringing in any new players before the summer window closes on August 9, the Spaniard was downcast.

"I said what I had to say on transfers two months ago, we'll see what the next 10 days bring," said Benitez.

"I have no idea. I have no idea how close we are to anyone," he added when pushed on whether Newcastle would be signing anyone in the next week.

"Now is not a time to talk about [Salomon] Rondon or Gayle, it's a time to analyse what's gone on these last two months.

"I said two months ago what we needed, and 10 days before the start of season we have four or five players we thought we could bring but we haven't - and we still are where we are."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11457000/rafa-benitez-says-he-has-no-idea-about-newcastle-transfers-after-braga-loss

Would be brilliant if we could get him here one day, and give him the funds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Henry released a statement saying he's not been in contact with any club. 

Doesn't mean he didn't speak to Whatsisname and Thingy before they bought us. 

• Like 1