New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

What about the hundreds of experienced managers who have done badly in their first season at a new club? So logic goes both ways. There is no way to say beforehand that Henry will fail or be a success, but rather that choice than staying with Bruce , a manager who brings us no where.

The best bit about these posts is how people may need to redefine their thoughts - "a manager who brings us no where", well aside from the playoff final yeah.

Can't wait to see what descriptions will be used if we end up finishing mid-to-bottom half, or worse.

• Like 1

If we are going down the route of a new manager then it needs to be done now. The season starts in under two weeks and we don't have time to be f ing about.

It is not an ideal scenario for any manager to come in with pretty much no pre season never mind one who has never managed before and has no recognised back room team to call up on and can hit the ground running. I am just not sure on this and how much him being a great player, and simply wanting rid of Bruce, could be clouding judgements. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

What about the hundreds of experienced managers who have done badly in their first season at a new club? So logic goes both ways. There is no way to say beforehand that Henry will fail or be a success, but rather that choice than staying with Bruce , a manager who brings us no where.

Of course the logic goes both ways and it falls down both ways. If someone was saying something like "Neil Warnock worked so that means experience will work" then I'd tell them the same thing.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

The best bit about these posts is how people may need to redefine their thoughts - "a manager who brings us no where", well aside from the playoff final yeah.

Can't wait to see what descriptions will be used if we end up finishing mid-to-bottom half, or worse.

Its funny how people redefine their thoughts to fit their comments...training world class players at Barcelona and Real Madrid, but then neglecting that Bruce had players at his disposal that was way better than what most other teams, except from 1 or 2 other teams maybve, had in the Championship, but missed out on promotion twice.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Taxahunter said:

Its funny how people redefine their thoughts to fit their comments...training world class players at Barcelona and Real Madrid, but then neglecting that Bruce had players at his disposal that was way better than what most other teams, except from 1 or 2 other teams maybve, had in the Championship, but missed out on promotion twice.

Ah right, so now our players are directly comparable to Barcelona's and Madrid's right?

WiTAF.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah right, so now our players are directly comparable to Barcelona's and Madrid's right?

WiTAF.

Did i do that without comparing to where we respectively where/are and in what leagues? You are twisting and turning every argument and taking things out of context.

• Like 2

The problem with Bruce is he is a work hard manager.  Thats fine getting players at the likes of Hull to work hard as they lack ability and probably the only way they would get promoted.  I said it time after time that Villa was to big a club for Bruce.  He is unable to utilize the extra ability Villa players obviously have over the opposition team and falls back into the same old negative, self preserving football time after time.

I'm not saying Henry is the answer but if we are to move forward as a club, and lets face it there is never going to be a better time then we have to get rid of Bruce.  If that means an inexperienced manager who talks like he would bring a breath of fresh air to Villa then so be it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Ok, then forget Guardiola and Zidane...Pochettino took over a relegation threatened Espanyol as his first club when he got his license and look at him now.

He also played for Espanyol for many years.

Try again.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Try again.

Bruce never played for Villa, what has that got to do with it? They were a club in turmoil, he was the third manager in that season in in a relegation battle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Big Ron (experienced) - Success

Brian Little (relatively inexperienced) - Success

John Gregory (relatively inexperienced) - Success

Graham Taylor mkII (experienced) - Failure

DoL (relatively experienced) - Failure

MoN (experienced) - Success

Houllier (experienced) - Failure

Mcleish (experienced) - Failure

Lambert (moderately experienced) - ???

Tom Sherwood (inexperienced) - Failure

Remi Garde (inexperienced) - Failure

Bobby Di Matteo (relatively inexperienced) - Failure

Steve Bruce (experienced ) - ???

Try and draw any conclusions from that mixed bag!

Brian Little had quite a lot of experience, including promotions at Darlington and Leicester.

David O'Leary was a couple of good results away from 4th place.

3 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Bruce never played for Villa, what has that got to do with it? They were a club in turmoil, he was the third manager in that season in in a relegation battle

You're tying yourself in knots now.

You've already admitted that this logic doesn't work, so why are you carrying on?

Nobody is saying that inexperienced managers NEVER work. Obviously they do. What people are saying is picking one or two examples of inexperienced managers who have done amazingly well isn't a guarantee that Henry will work.

Whether Henry will work is based on his managerial ability, and none of us have any clue how good that is. 

I hope whoever it is is announced with a simultaneous announcement of a new CEO with a football background and/or DOF.  We need a full new management team with proper experience especially if it's going to be Henry replacing Bruce, not only to support him but to do some deals quick smart over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

He brought us from our free falling relagation to a play off final, that is not nowhere. He has done a lot for this club, I belive he could do even more and I also understand why some want him replaced but to say he brings us nowhere is completely untrue. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Try again.

What  does that have to do with it? Playing and managing are two very different skill sets as has been stated in this thread numerous times. 

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

He brought us from our free falling relagation to a play off final, that is not nowhere. He has done a lot for this club, I belive he could do even more and I also understand why some want him replaced but to say he brings us nowhere is completely untrue. 

He has also, with some help brought us in the situation we are in now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Has Henry got his badges?

If he picks the right team to help him I reckon it could work, he's an intelligent guy.

Steve Bould is well respected isn't he? Plus you'd have the 'Lampard effect' whereby he would be able to attract the players he wants and have the pick of the loanees from Arsenal amongst others.

Ray wilkins was well respected before he came Villa and that was awful move