New Manager Speculation

maqroll

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I seem to recall he was regularly dismissed as the “SFW” and probably labelled “clown” in the same foolish way our current manager is.

Hey ho, grass is always greener etc.

Yes sounds about right.  Must have been a few years ago now if he was called a 'clown' rather than a 'charlatan' which everyone seems to be nowadays.

On 02/08/2018 at 16:54, Stevo985 said:

Nothing to do with ambition.

Rafa is a VERY good manager. If he levaes Newcastle he'll have all sorts of clubs after him.

He won't be dropping down to the Championship to manage Aston Villa. The only reason he managed here before was because he dropped down with Newcastle.

It's no wonder people want Bruce gone if they think we can attract managers like Rafa to replace him.

Why would we be interested in Rafa, when Pepe is bored with winning at Citeh? I’d only take Rafa as Pepe’s defensive coach. Brucie can stay and take the Doris role, with Doris moving up to the boardroom, with a specific remit to advise on world teas. 

Edited by DaveAV1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Just saw a Football Manager simulation for season ahead on Youtube. Bruce is replaced By Gerardo Martino and we finish 8th

Tommy Elphick also our player of season

Where did the FM simulator say that Bruce would have us finishing?

21 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I seem to recall he was regularly dismissed as the “SFW” and probably labelled “clown” in the same foolish way our current manager is.

FSW*

21 hours ago, briny_ear said:

LOL, get the insult right if you are going to use it. Must try harder :crylaugh:

Nothing foolish about labelling our current manager a clown (he is). Whats foolish is the defence of someone who failed twice and yet somehow people think it will be third time lucky.

On 02/08/2018 at 15:39, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re right, no matter how much people, me included, want attractive football, results always override everything else. The criticism of Steve Bruce tends to focus on the negative style of play, but only reaches a crescendo when results are bad. For my own part, yes I’d prefer more attacking football, that doesn’t make me unique of course, but my main concern is, that we don’t often control games. Without looking at the score, you couldn’t tell one performance from the next. Good teams control the game, either with or without the ball. 

That was more to do with

a) being happy with the result despite (evidently well founded) concerns for the future and;

b) The absolute vitriol focused at anyone who dared to question "the Bruce" after a win, no matter how tight.

I absolutely agree with the controlling games comment. We just do not do this, when we lose the ball, our reaction is to get back into defensive positions and weather the storm. Trying to do this for long portions of a game is madness as the law of averages if nothing else says the opposition will eventually get through. Good teams hold onto the ball when they have it (even knocking around in their own half to retain possession, frustrate the opposition and  slow the game down) and press quickly and directly when they don't. We sit back and invite teams onto us. That is not controlling the game.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Nothing foolish about labelling our current manager a clown (he is). 

It’s foolish (and self-demeaning) to call anyone a ”clown” unless they happen to be an actual clown, you know, the type who work in a circus. And that's a very respectable and long-established profession requiring high levels of skill.  

It is of course a personal choice to label people in this way, that anyone is free to take.

Edited by briny_ear

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And that's a very respectable and long-established profession requiring high levels of skill.  

For a minute I thought you were talking about football management then! :)

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Just saw a Football Manager simulation for season ahead on Youtube. Bruce is replaced By Gerardo Martino and we finish 8th

Tommy Elphick also our player of season

8th isn’t very good! Martino out!

48 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It’s foolish (and self-demeaning) to call anyone a ”clown” unless they happen to be an actual clown, you know, the type who work in a circus. And that's a very respectable and long-established profession requiring high levels of skill.  

In retrospect I think you may be right - in fairness to clowns, it is an insult to them to call Steve Bruce a clown as they are generally much better at their jobs than he is. Clowns make us laugh. Steve Bruce makes us cry.

I hereby apologise to all actual clowns, on behalf of the person who originally called Steve Bruce a clown. *honk*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

In retrospect I think you may be right - in fairness to clowns, it is an insult to them to call Steve Bruce a clown as they are generally much better at their jobs than he is. Clowns make us laugh. Steve Bruce makes us cry.

I hereby apologise to all actual clowns, on behalf of the person who originally called Steve Bruce a clown. *honk*

Progress.

Now I just have to educate people about the inappropriateness of calling him “dinosaur”  (very complex and successful animal group who dominated the earth for a very long time) and my work here is done.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Progress.

Now I just have to educate people about the inappropriateness of calling him “dinosaur”  (very complex and successful animal group who dominated the earth for a very long time) and my work here is done.

Would he be a carnosaur or an omnivore i guess It depends if he has salad on his kebabs? 

He's definitely not a herbivore.

Brentford mauling Rotherham 1st day out. According to the stats and reports they are passing them off the field, creating chance after chance. Steady. I know it's Rotherham . My point is for the folks here who don't like Smith, when Brentford lose a game he's flawed, not a good manager. When they win, according to the anti Smith brigade "Ah it's the Brentford setup, all he does is pick the team really ". So which one is it lads.

49 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Progress.

Yeah, he is still a shit manager though.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Brentford mauling Rotherham 1st day out. According to the stats and reports they are passing them off the field, creating chance after chance. Steady. I know it's Rotherham . My point is for the folks here who don't like Smith, when Brentford lose a game he's flawed, not a good manager. When they win, according to the anti Smith brigade "Ah it's the Brentford setup, all he does is pick the team really ". So which one is it lads.

Bit like the Bruce supporters really. When we win it is due to Bruce's sheer brilliance. When we lose, it is apparently due to the players not being good enough, and he cannot be expected to be held responsible. It's all very odd really. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Whether they win or lose the setup is the same. He's a head coach, he takes training and picks the team, everything else is done by others. 

Its not that it's a bad setup, in fact I think it's the future and means that managers coming and going doesn't require a full overhaul every time, it's that a" head coach" ONLY works with all the rest of the team in place. We don't have that therefore he would be a terrible appointment at the moment. 

Also, both the options you gave were for "anti Smith" people, if that's how you want to label people, there was no "pro Smith" option.