New Manager Speculation

maqroll

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

What people forget about Henry is he is a thinking mans footballer. He was always thinking about his game and how to adapt and how to make the best out of his abilities. He didn't just rely on pace. He picked up positions in areas because he knew he could hurt a team from there. He knows how the game works and he has been coached by the very best. 

Exactly. And people are comparing him to Tim Sherwood. 

Nassef - “Steve, do you plan on changing anything next season”

Steve - “Not particularly, maybe Hutton at centre-back in a 5 at the back system with Andre Green at left wing back”

Nassef - “THIERRY?!?!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rubberman said:

That's pretty much was is said about Zola (and Hoddle).   They could just do it and couldn't figure out why others could not.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I've heard that a few times about Hoddle.

"Just do it like this" and then frustration when you just can't do it.

It kind of makes sense when you think about it. 

Therefore it's probably more likely that someone who was a fairly average player but has the same vision and understanding of the game has more understanding of their players abilities so can tailor a better strategy. 

It's all fine and dandy Henry having a vision of how he wants his team to play but getting Whelan, Jedinak, Elphick and their ilk to put it into action is another thing entirely. Good luck with that one Thierry.

4 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

It's all fine and dandy Henry having a vision of how he wants his team to play but getting Whelan, Jedinak, Elphick and their ilk to put it into action is another thing entirely. Good luck with that one Thierry.

if he doesn't throw out "struggling there glen, let me give you a hand" on day one then i will be disappointed

BareRewardingHuman-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Lucky, how ? Maybe it's the other way around.

in that he has a record of success in the championship. with him in charge i'd be confident of a playoff place every season. henry is a complete unknown.

5 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

in that he has a record of success in the championship. with him in charge i'd be confident of a playoff place every season. henry is a complete unknown.

i'd be confident of a playoff place from any manager in history if you gave him the squad we had last season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

Every manager starts of as an unknown. Be optimistic. Henry’s worked with the very best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rubberman said:

I'm with thierrytini' ;) - relegation is unlikely this season and my expectations were for mid-table mediocrity.  Pretty good time to take a gamble.  Let's hope it works out.

True, we might just be able to pull off the impossible and achieve that unlikely relegation!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah, so because you've plucked two of the most successful managers of the past 5-10 years and they happen to be inexperienced when appointed (excluding the fact tat they'd been employed at their respective clubs in playing and coaching facilities before that so had plenty of experience of how the club worked), that means all inexperienced managers will follow suit?

No he's saying it's not as cut and dry as experienced = failure and provided 2 recent examples of not just successes but resounding ones.

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

How many times does it need to be said that Dean Smith is not a manager - at Brenford he is pretty much just a head coach. We have literally nothing in place that would make this guy anything but completely out of his depth.

He is just that our head coach as many on here understand but still quite a few just don’t.Just us he wasn’t  forced to sell Jota Dean and Colin we had already signed their replacements and we got good money from a lowly championship side that just about stayed up Again.If Dean Smith was approached by Villa I would expect him to jump at the chance to manage his boyhood club not to mention the size of the club but he would be a big gamble imho.I really like Dean and he fits in well at our club and is very popular with players and fans but should he leave we already have a replacement from our group of coaches and we just carry on the same as when Rosler and Warburton (he wasn’t sacked)left for greener fields both now without clubs.Look forward to visiting Villa Park next month 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Every manager starts of as an unknown. Be optimistic. Henry’s worked with the very best.

im not being unoptimistic, im just being a realist. i absolutely love the idea of thierry henry managing us. he's my favourite premier league player ever. but we do have a solid manager in bruce who wants to stay who brought us within one game of promotion. to throw that away for someone with no real managerial experience would be a risk im not sure i would take personally.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Playoff finalists and mid table finishers both ultimately play in the championship again next season.

Getting up via the playoffs was the bare minimum expectation given our squad and he's failed that, and the weird thing is that people are actually using this failure as a positive.

"At least he got us to the playoffs"

He damn well should have.

The trick to using quotation marks is to make sure it was actually said in the first place. 

I did not say that. 

I simply said that getting to a playoff final is altogether different to finishing nowhere. 

9 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

He is just that our head coach as many on here understand but still quite a few just don’t.Just us he wasn’t  forced to sell Jota Dean and Colin we had already signed their replacements and we got good money from a lowly championship side that just about stayed up Again.If Dean Smith was approached by Villa I would expect him to jump at the chance to manage his boyhood club not to mention the size of the club but he would be a big gamble imho.I really like Dean and he fits in well at our club and is very popular with players and fans but should he leave we already have a replacement from our group of coaches and we just carry on the same as when Rosler and Warburton (he wasn’t sacked)left for greener fields both now without clubs.Look forward to visiting Villa Park next month 

Can we make this a sticky for the next time (expect it imminently) someone suggests Dean Smith as Manager. 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The trick to using quotation marks is to make sure it was actually said in the first place. 

I did not say that. 

I simply said that getting to a playoff final is altogether different to finishing nowhere. 

After 1.75 seasons at the helm, we're still in the championship. Where exactly has he brought us? He can get us competing no doubt, but hes most likely not taking us anywhere.

Don't really see the fuss in bringing someone else to possibly take us to the next step. Worst case scenario is we're exact in the same position as now.