John Terry

Farlz

13 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He’ll be missed. 

One interesting thing about this, was that Gregg Evans had the article up on The Athletic just as Villa announced it. I wonder if the Villa decided to throw him a crumb, or if Terry told him?

a few others knew too, nursey etc. villa probably gave the press a few minutes prior to announcing. much of evans' article is a cut and paste job anyway

I'm guessing that he's bought out his own contract or at least agreed some sort of compo to us, so if he now joins Swansea they won't have to 

Instant thoughts on it are it's a shame he's gone as I quite liked him here but at the same time never been quite sure as to how key to us he is, I'm guessing not very beyond being a winner and being able to talk to the lads in a way that Smith can't 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Betting suspended on him going to Swansea so I'd assume that's where he's going

It's odd as that seems likely but his statement suggests he's taking time out of football for a short spell until the right opportunity comes along. It seems as though stepping off before pre-season is underway is sensible for all parties, especially now he's finished his qualifications and has his pro licence. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Off to Swansea I assume - best of luck 

Was ruled out of Swansea running last week 

Aston Villa assistant manager John Terry has been "categorically ruled out" of the vacant manager's position at Swansea City, BirminghamLive has been told. 

Terry, 40, was missing from Villa's 4-0 pre-season win at Walsall last night with supporters quick to question his absence knowing Swans boss Steve Cooper resigned just prior to Villa's match at the Banks's Stadium. 

Cooper, who guided Swansea to the play-off final last season, officially resigned two weeks ago but stayed in charge to oversee pre-season ahead of the Championship club finding a replacement.

As for Terry, the Villa coach has made no secret of wanting to step up to become a manager in the not too distant future with his ultimate aim to manage boyhood club Chelsea.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-terry-swansea-aston-villa-21117468

Edited by Eastie

He's made a point of saying quality time with family and having a Paul Lambert style tour abroad. So i doubt he has a job lined up, what would be the point of saying it otherwise?

Like him or not, he's played an important role in our recovery to this point.

Edited by piav_k4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sounds like it was his decision - Im guessing if he stayed much longer  it might have hampered his move into management "Oh Terry is happy at Villa" - He hints that nothing is imminent,  - I wonder if he may end up in a similar role at Chelsea .

he may be liked  by the fans at Chelsea but he isn't particularly liked by the big wigs  , he called them all words removed to their faces when they sacked Wilkins and is generally viewed by them as a "nightmare" 

I'd never rule anything out in football , but I'd be surprised if he went to Chelsea anytime soon .

Thanks for everything John, been integral to what we have been building. 

Sad to see you go, but all the best, and I'll be following your management career with interest!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Very suprised you're all so positive about it.

Guy is and always will be a world class bell end

He's been great at the club, irrespective of how dislikeable he is as a person.

Sort of like how Leeds bang on about how Bamford should be in the England setup, even though the guy is and always will be a world class bell end.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Agreed here.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up with Jody Morris and some of Frank Lampard’s staff from Chelsea who are currently between jobs.  They seemed to stay fairly tight with each other even while JT was at Villa.  

From the reports about Lampard's running of Chelsea I'd like to think JT would be setting his sights a little higher.

That announcement came out the blue a bit but explains why he hasn't been at any of the preseason friendlies.

Was sceptical about him during our first season back in the Prem when our defence was so shabby but he clearly had a great influence on our team last season where our defence was a lot more solid and has helped us progress. 

Best of luck to him whatever he decides to do. 

All the best to him. He's contributed a lot the cause here. Don't know is it a role we need to fill with a great degree of urgency. If anything, we were a bit stacked. Shakespeare probably becomes even more hands on now.

Â