John Terry

Farlz

Remember watching footage of Dean Smith talking to some students - he said (with respect to Terry) that he'd much rather have a coach with a determination to get better and move on to a bigger role elsewhere, than having a coach who was happy to stay in his comfort zone and remain long term.

He’ll be missed. 

One interesting thing about this, was that Gregg Evans had the article up on The Athletic just as Villa announced it. I wonder if the Villa decided to throw him a crumb, or if Terry told him?

Not shocked as some are. He was always going to move on and try his hand at being a manager. Will be easily replaced and probably for the better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Considering Smith's links to most of them, I think it's unlikely. No doubt one of the younger guys would take the step up, but I think Terry is more likely to end up with an experienced assistant in his first job.

Agreed here.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up with Jody Morris and some of Frank Lampard’s staff from Chelsea who are currently between jobs.  They seemed to stay fairly tight with each other even while JT was at Villa.  

3 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He’ll be missed. 

One interesting thing about this, was that Gregg Evans had the article up on The Athletic just as Villa announced it. I wonder if the Villa decided to throw him a crumb, or if Terry told him?

Is it a detailed article?

On 22/07/2021 at 17:15, sidcow said:

Just seen it mentioned he wasn't at the game last night, as Smith had to be away as well that's odd. 

I also note there is nothing on his Instagram Villa related (I can't see stories, only the main page) but he usually puts up "back to work" type pictures when training returns.  

On his way somewhere? 

I did wonder!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I hope he stays away from our backroom coaches. The likelihood is whatever job he takes, he'll be offering them a job as assistant manager or first team coach.

It's the way it works, but it would still cause disturbance mid-season.

Lampard im sure will be happy to help

13 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He’ll be missed. 

Terry was inevitably going to leave so he'll have just had an article about it saved in drafts for when the news broke. He knows **** all

Edited by YouUnastanFren

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I hope he stays away from our backroom coaches. The likelihood is whatever job he takes, he'll be offering them a job as assistant manager or first team coach.

It's the way it works, but it would still cause disturbance mid-season.

I doubt he’d walk straight into a top job and so his new club would be unlikely to be able to offer our top coaches anything like what they already have at BMH. 

Was shocked the day JT signed for Villa not shocked today. He's seen people with the same or less experience than him get some top jobs (Lampard, Gerrard, Ole, etc.). He'll want to test himself now as a manager and I hope it goes well for him. 

Hope it doesn't have too much of an effect on season prep.  

Â