Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Will never score again.

Maybe an overreaction (never sure if it's one/two 'r' hyphenated or not) here but dosen't look at all good at the moment. Confidence is low, touch is poor, easily frustrated and is all round ineffective. I hope that he comes good again and that the injuries haven't ruined him. He essentially missed a full season and as we saw with Kozak there's no point in rushing them back in to the team although he was really crocked. 

Maybe as the previous post from @skarroki says wide left next game and a change of scenery might be good. 

If Davis is fit he should start. Far better at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Adomah flourished when Davis was in the team. It's no coincidence that Albert has gone off form since Kodjia has become the main man.

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Kodjia in my opinion needs to play wide left next game to give him a different position to effect the game and make him more effective. 

Agree, really ineffective as a lone central striker. Had some good moments today, all when he drifted wide, using lateral movement and his awkward ball control and dribbling style when only against 1 or 2 defenders. He cannot shield the ball effectively in the middle when challenged by robust centre halves and retreating centre mids, and isn't incisive enough to be utilised as a foil. It just isn't within his skillset to do so. I think Bruce knows this, but at the moment he is limited with his options and needs must. I did state before that I was 'happy' with striker force options, but have to largely agree with everyone else that another is needed. One with that skillset (not unlike Grigg for the opposition) to play in this system. I can see Davis in that role, with a place Kodjia playing to the left, however that would be a lot of pressure for a young player; to be expected to lead the line, given his injuries and loss of form at times last season. 

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

If Davis is fit he should start. Far better at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Adomah flourished when Davis was in the team. It's no coincidence that Albert has gone off form since Kodjia has become the main man.

Adomah went off the ball long before Kodjia has come back in up front but I agree Davis would be good, although I'd rather throw RHM up top he's looked good in his spells. 

Kodjia - RHM - Green

Hourihane - Grealish - McGinn

Hutton - Chester - Tuanzebe - Elmo

New GK 

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Kodjia in my opinion needs to play wide left next game to give him a different position to effect the game and make him more effective. 

He played there a bit today, he wasn’t helping the team and thus Wigan put in numerous dangerous crosses from his side

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

Adomah went off the ball long before Kodjia has come back in up front but I agree Davis would be good, although I'd rather throw RHM up top he's looked good in his spells. 

Kodjia - RHM - Green

Hourihane - Grealish - McGinn

Hutton - Chester - Tuanzebe - Elmo

New GK 

What is this? No defensive mid? Left footed McGinn on the right. Just drop Kodjia. Simple. That 433 is a mess

• Like 1

He’s definitely struggling but I think it’s a confidence thing as much as physical at this point. On another day he could easily have ended up with a hat trick today. Id be more worried if he wasn’t getting any chances. I think once he gets one we’ll start to see the old Kodj come back. If he does and we get a couple of shrewd loans we’ll have the makings of a decent side.

Edited by villaglint

I didn’t watch the game, just the extended highlights. Is it fair to say he got more into the game as it went on? The highlights kinda portray it that way, don’t know if it’s true reflection of the game.

A poor miss or two certainly, but there was a glimpse of the player from two seasons ago. If we got him firing, I’d feel much more confident for our prospects this season.

He was poor in the first half but he started to get his confidence back late on. Unlucky not to score when he did a brilliant piece of skill to cut back in on his left foot and shoot low where the keeper made a good save.

I agree with others that he isn't very effective when playing up front on his own. Instead, he ought to be instructed to move into the channels and drive at the full backs, because more often than not, he beats them with either skill or pace. 

• Thanks 1

lucky to stay on pitch tonight so far if honest. Also his 16 month in play goal drought in play is quite worrying

but when he did have the ball he made a mockery of the Yeovil defenders

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, deeps said:

Looked a bit like the ‘old’ Kodj tonight. A goal will get him going I think. 

Yeah played with a bit of fire in his belly, he needs competition. Alternatively he’s finding that fitness and confidence; hope so.

Again most effective  when running the channel and cutting from wide positions. Could it be worth him and Green trading positions? Although, Kodjia appeared to get up and at em’ centrally too for his cameo tonight. 

I would having coming off the bench again at the weekend but we’ve  got no other options. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Is that goal ever going to come though, cause we have no room for passengers this season, especially a forward.

We’re only two games and a half this season. What I’m seeing from him is promising. I would like to have another option but I also think him firing again is like a new signing. What worries me is his selfishness.

I think he’s going to score at Ipswich, hopefully a hatrick there. ?

It was my first away game to go to since the loss against Man Utd when Sherwood took ever. What a game to go to last season. So hopefully this season is another great win. 

He has turned to absolute crap since his injury. Cannot start. I would start every one of our other strikers above him. He got an assist today by doing a slow turn and getting a luck deflecting low cross into the box. That’s probably the bets thing he has done in 10 games.

Â