Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

The bit of skill in setting up the goal just makes his general body language and persistent fouling all the more frustrating.  We all know he is capable but he is generally preoccupied by physical battles that are made more difficult for him by the habit of flinging his arms out and grabbing whatever bit of his opponent he can lay his hands on.  The incident leading to his yellow card at Yeovil is a good example.

• Like 1

Kodjia has been vital to us having any attacking impetus. Whether it be through winning aerial battles or driving forward when we're playing it on the ground. He has a presence in both.

My only concern with Kodjia's contribution is his decision making when it comes to playing a better placed teammate in. He doesn't.

It's great to have a striker who is always looking to score, but detrimental to have one who is so tunnel-visioned that he doesn't make the most of his teammates.

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

He'll need time to get fit and all that but he needs the confidence in himself and his legs. It's a mental barrier. Possibly more so after rushing back (Presumably in a vain attempt to reach the World Cup) and injuring it again requiring more surgery.

Maybe our medical team or his agent should have informed him Ivory Coast didnt qualify ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Kodjia has been vital to us having any attacking impetus. Whether it be through winning aerial battles or driving forward when we're playing it on the ground. He has a presence in both.

My only concern with Kodjia's contribution is his decision making when it comes to playing a better placed teammate in. He doesn't.

It's great to have a striker who is always looking to score, but detrimental to have one who is so tunnel-visioned that he doesn't make the most of his teammates.

Did we not win the game last night through Kodjia playing in a better placed teamate?

I would say Kodjia made the difference when he came on last night along with Grealish. Hepburn Murphy did well chasing the turgid long balls throughout the game, but the Yeovil centrebacks weren't really in a game until Kodjia came on and began hassling them. A few times, and especially the movement to create the goal were glimpses of the old Kodjia again. As with Benteke a few years ago when he came back from injury, a bit of confidence and a few goals will straighten him out and get him firing on all cylinders again.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Did we not win the game last night through Kodjia playing in a better placed teamate?

I would say Kodjia made the difference when he came on last night along with Grealish. Hepburn Murphy did well chasing the turgid long balls throughout the game, but the Yeovil centrebacks weren't really in a game until Kodjia came on and began hassling them. A few times, and especially the movement to create the goal were glimpses of the old Kodjia again. As with Benteke a few years ago when he came back from injury, a bit of confidence and a few goals will straighten him out and get him firing on all cylinders again.

I didn't see the game, so that's encouraging to read.

I'm not saying he's incapable of it, just that enough times to note he has chosen to try and create something himself instead passing to someone better placed.

I suppose it's evident that he's built his game around taking charge of each opportunity on the ball, otherwise he wouldn't be able to compete, create and score like he does.

I just think he could show a bit more trust in teammates when making the decision to go it solo or play a pass. I think we'd score more and he'd be improving his game.

12 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I didn't see the game, so that's encouraging to read.

I'm not saying he's incapable of it, just that enough times to note he has chosen to try and create something himself instead passing to someone better placed.

I suppose it's evident that he's built his game around taking charge of each opportunity on the ball, otherwise he wouldn't be able to compete, create and score like he does.

I just think he could show a bit more trust in teammates when making the decision to go it solo or play a pass. I think we'd score more and he'd be improving his game.

Yep I agree with you, first two games of the season he has been frustrating to watch with his selfishness at times. However... a) he's desperate to get amongst the goals b) we create so little opportunities for him that when he does get the ball he instantly wants to take advantage of having possesion of the ball.

If we can sort our midfield out, McGinn will go a long way to doing this, and play some more possesion based football it will help Kodjia in the long term.

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

He's just had the best part of a year out after a broken ankle FFS.

He'll need time to get fit and all that but he needs the confidence in himself and his legs. It's a mental barrier. Possibly more so after rushing back (Presumably in a vain attempt to reach the World Cup) and injuring it again requiring more surgery.

Yeah he needs a goal, but he needs us behind him and a bit of luck with injury for a change.

Still our best striker by a country mile.

He is definately our best striker but this shows the lack of quality we have up front more than his ability.

The maim problem is that even on form kodjia holds us back, so waiting for him to get back to form is pointless.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Maybe our medical team or his agent should have informed him Ivory Coast didnt qualify ?

All funnies aside, that 0-0 draw in Mali he played in there was no way he was properly fit.

Wheels came off the bus for Ivory Coast when he got injured. Home losses to Guinea and Gabon.

Not that they'd have beaten Morocco anyway imo, but I do think the World Cup was in his mind when he came back - as well as all us clamouring for him to be back in the Claret and Blue asap.

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

He is definately our best striker but this shows the lack of quality we have up front more than his ability.

I get where this is coming from. At the same time It's only his ability that makes him the best of the bunch though. He is not at fault for the others ability levels or lack thereof is he?

The maim problem is that even on form kodjia holds us back, so waiting for him to get back to form is pointless.

Don't get this at all. He can definitely be frustrating and a bit selfish at times but I don't agree that holds us back. Despite all that, as you admit yourself, he's better than any other options we have.

How can hoping/waiting for your best forward to find a bit of form and confidence after the best part of a season and a half out be pointless?

A fit Kodjia could easily end up top scorer in this division imho.

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

Don't get this at all. He can definitely be frustrating and a bit selfish at times but I don't agree that holds us back. Despite all that, as you admit yourself, he's better than any other options we have.

How can hoping/waiting for your best forward to find a bit of form and confidence after the best part of a season and a half out be pointless?

A fit Kodjia could easily end up top scorer in this division imho.

If he was our only option it's obvious we would wait for him to get back to form, but he is not, and will probably have more competition in a couple of weeks.

In this case whoever we play will have a detrimental effect on the other options.

It then becomes a simple choice of what each player offers, and I see Hogan and Davis offering more than him currently, as they both offer the team more than him.

If all were allowed the whole season I'd bet kodjia would end up with the most goals, but I'd also bet his team would score the fewest.

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If he was our only option it's obvious we would wait for him to get back to form, but he is not, and will probably have more competition in a couple of weeks.

In this case whoever we play will have a detrimental effect on the other options.

It then becomes a simple choice of what each player offers, and I see Hogan and Davis offering more than him currently, as they both offer the team more than him.

If all were allowed the whole season I'd bet kodjia would end up with the most goals, but I'd also bet his team would score the fewest.

Hogan and Davis are both currently Injured mate.

In recent seasons neither has a goal scoring record to touch Kjodia.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

He just doesnt look happy to me, he used to play with a smile on his face. He just seems very miserable and angry at the moment. Abit like myself. Did well for the goal mind

12 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

He just doesnt look happy to me, he used to play with a smile on his face. He just seems very miserable and angry at the moment. Abit like myself. Did well for the goal mind

I hadn't realised it had been so long, but the commentator last night said he hasn't scored from open play in 16 months. A few goals will get the pressure off his shoulders, the confidence up and the smile back on his face.

• Like 1

Â