Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

On 16/08/2018 at 13:54, Dick said:

Give him time. Two months from now if he is not scoring goals... I will donate £20 to Villatalk.

Now get over to the Jedinak thread and predict that he will become the new Sergio Ramos shortly... 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2018 at 12:13, LondonLax said:

He has never been a center forward but we are asking him to play that way because it suits the system.

His best time with us was playing on the left as an inside forward. Even during his best spells his goals came from moments if individual creativity, benefiting from the extra time and space you get playing out wide.

He's not going to hold up the ball, he's not going to win aerial duels, he's not going to play in small strikers or attaching midfielders. In short we are not playing to his strengths, we are using him because we have no strikers that actually fit the system. 

because, we haven't got anyone else.

Hoping I am rite but I think Kodjia's game is about to go up, the goal will give him a boost for sure. He has had a couple of decent games in my eyes now, time for us to get behind him and give him that support he needs, especially how we are really relying on him as he is our only striker (fit) who can do the job..

The man has my full support and get the goals kodjia you can do it..

Im not worried about him to be honest. He’s better than all 3 strikers we had last season. Some of his play in the last three games suggest that (if you put Hull game aside, he’s getting better and better with every game). 

I’d like us to try and play diamond with him and Hogan (or Davis, or even Green) upfront.

Amazed at how little criticism Kodjia gets. I appreciate that he has had bad injuries but he had game time (probably unwisely) at the tail end of last season, and a full preseason. I appreciate he got an assist midweek and a goal yesterday. The issue is that his general hold up  play and work rate is appalling. We often discuss why we don't put teams to bed. When we play with hogan, kodjia or adomah, who can't actually hold a ball up it means that Grealish, McGinn etc end up receiving the ball 30 yards closer to our goal than they should do. If we had a lump of a cf (Matt smith etc) who could hold the ball up (given our tactics), we'd probably score more goals as a team. ( I'm not saying he's a technically better player), In terms of kodjia he may be being played slightly out of position but if he actually learned how to shield a ball, and make himself consistently available it might help. 

......and relax.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Amazed at how little criticism Kodjia gets. I appreciate that he has had bad injuries but he had game time (probably unwisely) at the tail end of last season, and a full preseason. I appreciate he got an assist midweek and a goal yesterday. The issue is that his general hold up  play and work rate is appalling. We often discuss why we don't put teams to bed. When we play with hogan, kodjia or adomah, who can't actually hold a ball up it means that Grealish, McGinn etc end up receiving the ball 30 yards closer to our goal than they should do. If we had a lump of a cf (Matt smith etc) who could hold the ball up (given our tactics), we'd probably score more goals as a team. ( I'm not saying he's a technically better player), In terms of kodjia he may be being played slightly out of position but if he actually learned how to shield a ball, and make himself consistently available it might help. 

......and relax.

That's because Bruce has no intention of adapting his team's style of play to suit the players he plays. Hogan isn't effective as we smash long balls to him for 90 minutes when he is one of the shortest players in our team. Just because Kodjia is tall doesn't mean he is a target man yet Bruce insists on playing him as one with long balls being knocked to him. Invariably the gap between Kodjia and the midfield is always so big that he drops in to get the ball at times and then has much more work to do to get a shot away. If we can sort this problem out and get the midfield supplying him properly then he can be played up top and running at defenders which is much more his game.

For me we need to drop the wingers, play a 4 man midfield as a diamond and play someone alongside Kodjia to get the best out of him.

Lol just read back the last 7 pages. Absolutely ridiculous overreaction from some posters in particular. Now that he's back on form, surprisingly the people who were who were saying he's finished, 'brutal on the ball', etc no where to be seen.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Lol just read back the last 7 pages. Absolutely ridiculous overreaction from some posters in particular. Now that he's back on form, surprisingly the people who were who were saying he's finished, 'brutal on the ball', etc no where to be seen.

I'm still here, and still think he's shit. 

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

If Saturday was him inform, dread to think what he'll look like on a bad day. Don't let the fact he scored detract from a really poor performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

Really...after 1 goal?

I am chuffed for him, really am, but nothing i have seen over 2 seasons shows me he is the striker to promote us. 

You need to read the criticisms about him rather than just the fact he is being criticised. 

Edited by Nigel

30 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

If Saturday was him inform, dread to think what he'll look like on a bad day. Don't let the fact he scored detract from a really poor performance. 

Fact is, last two games, he's got a goal and an assist. 

But it's like he can't win. He's now starting to influence our games now - surely people should be happy? There was a massive over reaction of Kodjia. 

Doesn't score - gets criticized for not scoring. 

Scores - still shit? 

Doesn't pass - gets criticized for not passing.

Sets up a goal - still shit? 

Lol it's like he can't win. 

Fans really need to give him time. Once the team starts create chances (Not that we'll make chance after chance under Bruce, so far this season anyway) for him and he'll put them away. He's proven in this league, despite what people want to think. 

Apart from the most elite strikers in the world, most will be anonymous until that one second when they bang in a goal or get an assist. 

Â