Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

How many times did he hold the ball up on the wings though? How many times did he lose the ball? I've seen the game mate - literally had no service all game. Obviously you're going to be frustrated.

Chasing the ball down? By himself in the final third with no Villa player near him for 20/30 yards? He's not Forrest Gump. 

He lost the ball more than he held the ball tahts for sure. Co standby making wrong decision. Not passing to his team mates sulking all the time. For me his attitude on the pitch sucks.

RHM was by himself and he wa chasing balls down and tracking back. Kodjia could learn from RHM aboyt team work 

• Like 1

I think the abuse Kodija is getting is a bit harsh. When you consider he hasn't played in 12 months he is going to take some time to get up to speed. 

There's no doubt he's greedy, but it's only a problem when you don't score. I think considering the strikers we have right now we would be better keeping hold of him over the likes of Hogan who has never shown anything in a Villa jersey. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He lost the ball more than he held the ball tahts for sure. Co standby making wrong decision. Not passing to his team mates sulking all the time. For me his attitude on the pitch sucks.

RHM was by himself and he wa chasing balls down and tracking back. Kodjia could learn from RHM aboyt team work 

Did we stop playing so many hoof balls with RHM? I felt like we tried it a couple of times and he lost the ball and then it was if they wised up a bit and stopped doing it.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just going to ignore the fact that he ran the channels for the team at any given opportunity then yeah mate? 

yeah seriously, chill a little bit. I understand that players are either the greatest or utter garbage these days but are we channeling the mental ability of goldfish here in a willful attempt at ignorance? the guy has obviously proven he can score and that he has great ball control multiple times for us in the past. he's been injured a very long time and it looks like this has taken a toll on his confidence. you could tell how frustrated he was yesterday and I believe a lot of that is down to him not hitting form. One goal can make a world of difference for strikers in a rut so can we have a little patience here? we know what he is capable of and two seasons ago he was everybody's hero if I'm not mistaken..

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 4

If played he'll still score goals, but not at the level we need likely.

But his contribution to overall play will hold us back I'm afraid.

He's always been selfish,  that OK for strikers.

But he doesn't seem to be the same player he was before the injury.

Scoring a few goals will no doubt do wonders as it always does for strikers.

Bit worried thou.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's weird. 

Dispossessed only once last night. According to the actual stats.

image.png

• Thanks 1

I think the injuries have scuppered him to be honest. 

Sometimes you have to cut your cloth accordingly and accept he isn’t going to be the player he once was. If a bid came in for him that was near enough what we paid originally, then personally I’d let him go. Especially if the team in question is a Pulis team, because he isn’t going to shine or get back to his best in that setup.

“He needs to get up to speed” argument baffles me a bit, his body hasn’t let him get up to speed because maybe, it can’t anymore. How long do you wait? Again, in my opinion I’d let another team take a chance to do that for a biggish sum of money. 

11 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Just going to ignore the fact that he ran the channels for the team at any given opportunity then yeah mate? 

Ran channels? I must havw missed that when he was falling iver or running into  a dead wall. You trying to tell me kodjia was busting his balls last night? It was a lazy and poor performance

6 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

That's weird. 

Dispossessed only once last night. According to the actual stats.

image.png

Kodjia had a marvellous game based on those stats. Even all our defenders managed to get on the scoresheet and run through a poor hill defence.

Just now, holtend4life said:

I think the injuries have scuppered him to be honest. 

Sometimes you have to cut your cloth accordingly and accept he isn’t going to be the player he once was. If a bid came in for him that was near enough what we paid originally, then personally I’d let him go. Especially if the team in question is a Pulis team, because he isn’t going to shine or get back to his best in that setup.

“He needs to get up to speed” argument baffles me a bit, his body hasn’t let him get up to speed because maybe, it can’t anymore. How long do you wait? Again, in my opinion I’d let another team take a chance to do that for a biggish sum of money. 

Sorry mate but match fitness is a huge thing in football. He had two extremely serious injuries and when he came back the first time he was clearly not fit enough to be playing, I remember Bruce chucked him in because at that point because we were desperate.

Last season he played 824 minutes in the Championship, disrupted by injury and often would come on on the wing or when we were preserving a lead. He had no pre-season last season and failed to complete 90 mins one single time. This season his pre-season has been disrupted also with a knock.

To be at the very top of your game you need longer, sorry. You can ask any professional you wish.

I agree he was awful yesterday and looks to have perhaps lost some desire (?) perhaps, but fitness and confidence will resolve that I think. It's very speculative to say "he isn't going to be the player he once was". You do not know that, at all.

5 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Sorry mate but match fitness is a huge thing in football. He had two extremely serious injuries and when he came back the first time he was clearly not fit enough to be playing, I remember Bruce chucked him in because at that point because we were desperate.

Last season he played 824 minutes in the Championship, disrupted by injury and often would come on on the wing or when we were preserving a lead. He had no pre-season last season and failed to complete 90 mins one single time. This season his pre-season has been disrupted also with a knock.

To be at the very top of your game you need longer, sorry. You can ask any professional you wish.

I agree he was awful yesterday and looks to have perhaps lost some desire (?) perhaps, but fitness and confidence will resolve that I think. It's very speculative to say "he isn't going to be the player he once was". You do not know that, at all.

Of course I don’t, that’s why I said “I think”.

But it works both ways: you don’t know if he’ll be the player he was. 

I can only base it on his injury record and the subsequent performances after these injuries, which is true what you say, he’s never been up to full fitness. Which in my opinion, is because he probably won’t ever get up to full fitness. And that’s why I’d sell if the money is right, mate. 

✅ Only the second time he's played more than 70 minutes since injury last October.

✅ Fed off scraps all game.

✅ First game of the season.

But that's enough for some to think he's finished, league 1 standard, should be sold etc...

He's a proven Championship player who can score goals for fun. He's going to be vital for us this season if he can stay fit.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

✅ Only the second time he's played more than 70 minutes since injury last October.

✅ Fed off scraps all game.

✅ First game of the season.

But that's enough for some to think he's finished, league 1 standard, should be sold etc...

He's a proven Championship player who can score goals for fun. He's going to be vital for us this season if he can stay fit.

exactly. the third point being quite big as well. it's only been one bloody game. I understand us writing off Elphick because he hasn't ever really shined for us, but Kodjia was fantastic for us two seasons ago. I still believe we should strengthen in this area, but that's mostly because our strikers are so injury prone. I still believe Kodjia will do well for us this season once he gets going and I also think we'll be surprised by RHM who has looked very positive the couple of times I've seen him in action over this last year.

but I understand the worries, I just think we're overreacting a bit and being a little too harsh on Jimmy Danger.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Kodjia had a marvellous game based on those stats. Even all our defenders managed to get on the scoresheet and run through a poor hill defence.

And yet none of our other 'attacking players' scored either. 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ran channels? I must havw missed that when he was falling iver or running into  a dead wall. You trying to tell me kodjia was busting his balls last night? It was a lazy and poor performance

So are you saying he never ran the channels yesterday? Wow. 

Â