Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

In pre season, Green played a part of a game at CF, scored twice and looked dangerous. If Davis is injured, and Kodjia is better at inside forward, are we overlooking something here?

I can see what you're saying mate but the level of opposition needs to be taken into account. It was the same game where Hutton managed to get past three players before playing a cross right on to Green's head. 

2 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

I can see what you're saying mate but the level of opposition needs to be taken into account. It was the same game where Hutton managed to get past three players before playing a cross right on to Green's head. 

Your point is a good one. Just wondering if it might be an option though if we do not loan in a striker. Not convinced he would do worse than we have been trying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Your point is a good one. Just wondering if it might be an option though if we do not loan in a striker. Not convinced he would do worse than we have been trying.

Absolutely. In fact since Green has been getting into our first team - he has a knack of getting into very good position in the box. He's a missed a few chances (can remember some headers going wide) but the fact he's in those positions in the first place are extremely encouraging. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Fact is, last two games, he's got a goal and an assist. 

But it's like he can't win. He's now starting to influence our games now - surely people should be happy? There was a massive over reaction of Kodjia. 

Doesn't score - gets criticized for not scoring. 

Scores - still shit? 

Doesn't pass - gets criticized for not passing.

Sets up a goal - still shit? 

Lol it's like he can't win. 

Fans really need to give him time. Once the team starts create chances (Not that we'll make chance after chance under Bruce, so far this season anyway) for him and he'll put them away. He's proven in this league, despite what people want to think. 

Apart from the most elite strikers in the world, most will be anonymous until that one second when they bang in a goal or get an assist. 

Interestingly the arguments you use for Kodjia are the exact arguments which are used against Bruce. 

I never said he was was shit. I think if he actually tried for 90 minutes he'd be better, I don't think he's helped by the set up of the team, but he's not helped by his inability to play as part of a team. I thought his actions at the end of the Ipswich game said it all. 

I've  done my team for Wednesday, and he's leading the line, because he's the best we've got, not necessarily the best we can get. 

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Interestingly the arguments you use for Kodjia are the exact arguments which are used against Bruce. 

I never said he was was shit. I think if he actually tried for 90 minutes he'd be better, I don't think he's helped by the set up of the team, but he's not helped by his inability to play as part of a team. I thought his actions at the end of the Ipswich game said it all. 

I've  done my team for Wednesday, and he's leading the line, because he's the best we've got, not necessarily the best we can get. 

That's a sensible debate. 

One thing I would argue though is your assessment of his hold up play - he's never like Benteke or Davis- i.e strong in the air with his back to goal. Never has been and never will be - so for people to criticize that aspect of his game is a bit bizarre IMO.

When the ball is played up to his feet with his back to goal - he very rarely give the ball away. When the ball is played out to the channel and he gets to it, again he very rarely gives it away. We don't really help him the way we play football, but his general play is good.

I still standby what I said a few weeks ago on here - he is technically one of the best players with the ball at his feet. Alright, he needs to learn how to pass in the final third but I don' t mind our strikers being greedy, as long as they produce, which he hopefully is now. Remember this is the guy that single-handedly won us games 2 years ago on his own when we were terrible at times. 

On 20/08/2018 at 14:21, Jay.P.A said:

Remember this is the guy that single-handedly won us games 2 years ago on his own when we were terrible at times. 

Exactly. We need to set ourselves up and play like that again which at the time obviously suited him.

To be fair to him of late he has been a lone striker feeding off of very little and so I feel the criticism toward him is a little harsh.

We still have a damn good striker in there and we need to collectively play to his strengths.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Exactly. We need to set ourselves up and play like that again which at the time obviously suited him.

To be fair to him of late he has been a lone striker feeding off of very little and so I feel the criticism toward him is a little harsh.

We still have a damn good striker in there and we need to collectively play to his strengths.

It's because we have evolved into a better all round attacking unit now. Why would we go back to the days of kick it to kodjia and see what he can do?

That's not the way to win a league!

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

It's because we have evolved into a better all round attacking unit now. Why would we go back to the days of kick it to kodjia and see what he can do?

That's not the way to win a league!

I think you are missing the point - It was more a case to get the best out of Kodja without changing the whole dynamics as such but setup to an extent that sees him more involved atleast.  :thumb:

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think that is a fair comment.

I like Jimmy and I think he is playing a role that is he is not ideally suited to......but we haven't got anyone else.

His forte, is his body movement and element of surprise, deft feet.....physical encounter is not his bag, we need someone for that hopefully....he is just holding the fort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think you are missing the point - It was more a case to get the best out of Kodja without changing the whole dynamics as such but setup to an extent that sees him more involved atleast.  :thumb:

How can we set up to use him more?

He is the lone striker, you can't do much more for him. The rest is up to him.

This is the argument placed at Hogan. Is it the teams fault that they dont change to accommodate him?

Kodjia needs to amend his game not vice versa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

This is the argument placed at Hogan. Is it the teams fault that they dont change to accommodate him?

Or Bruce sets us up better as a whole to accomodate our strikers perhaps?  ?

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

It's both IMO.

With the players we have we should be able to play a much more mobile passing oriented football putting pressure on the opposition higher up in the field.

It's during the spells when we've done that we've looked at our best IMO.

Problem is we have a back 4 who is uncomfortable in their positions and sitting deeper due to that and a lack of pace. That in turn makes the midfield and whole team stretched out and disjointed meaning we can't press as a team.

There are gaps in midfield and the striker becomes isolated...

Kodija has looked a shadow of his selfish self since the injury, but we can't expect him or any other striker at the club to do the job we need the striker to do with the way we currently play.

No striker is gonna come off looking good the way we play, not £27m Mitrovic or even Drogba in his prime.

We need to adjust the way we play.

Once again all IMO.

2 hours ago, sne said:

It's both IMO.

With the players we have we should be able to play a much more mobile passing oriented football putting pressure on the opposition higher up in the field.

It's during the spells when we've done that we've looked at our best IMO.

Problem is we have a back 4 who is uncomfortable in their positions and sitting deeper due to that and a lack of pace. That in turn makes the midfield and whole team stretched out and disjointed meaning we can't press as a team.

There are gaps in midfield and the striker becomes isolated...

Kodija has looked a shadow of his selfish self since the injury, but we can't expect him or any other striker at the club to do the job we need the striker to do with the way we currently play.

No striker is gonna come off looking good the way we play, not £27m Mitrovic or even Drogba in his prime.

We need to adjust the way we play.

Once again all IMO.

Personally, I think you make a salient point and one that has been overlooked by some.

John Terry and James Chester are good centre halves.....but they both lacked pace and aerial domination.....so they sit deep, I don't see Jedinak will be doing any different to John, because he lacks pace too.

In order to close the lines it causes the whole team to sit deep......Teams with Centre backs who push forward push the team forward, we don't.

I honestly thought when we signed JT he would push the team further forward, but he didn't and it got even worse after his injury......I think you are right, its has a knock on effect.

In my time watching Villa, The teams that have been the best, have always had good centre backs, who have controlled their position and dominated their opponents.

I like chester, I really do he is consistent and reads the game well....but he can struggle against certain types of opposition, his stature allows him to be pulled around by physical centre forwards....At present his partner is not ideal to help with that.

Having said all that its hard to be good at everything, especially at our level.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Personally, I think you make a salient point and one that has been overlooked by some.

John Terry and James Chester are good centre halves.....but they both lacked pace and aerial domination.....so they sit deep, I don't see Jedinak will be doing any different to John, because he lacks pace too.

In order to close the lines it causes the whole team to sit deep......Teams with Centre backs who push forward push the team forward, we don't.

I honestly thought when we signed JT he would push the team further forward, but he didn't and it got even worse after his injury......I think you are right, its has a knock on effect.

In my time watching Villa, The teams that have been the best, have always had good centre backs, who have controlled their position and dominated their opponents.

I like chester, I really do he is consistent and reads the game well....but he can struggle against certain types of opposition, his stature allows him to be pulled around by physical centre forwards....At present his partner is not ideal to help with that.

Having said all that its hard to be good at everything, especially at our level.

One of the reasons I was initially skeptical of Terry before joining us was that I watched him a couple times during his last season at Chelsea and back then he still tried to this and it was a car crash.

He just didn't have the legs for it anymore.

By the time he joined us, and since he is vastly experienced he adjusted his way of playing and became a very solid piece for us.

With Jedi it's just not going to work, the whole team will suffer for his limitations at CB IMO.

Anyway, hope Kodjia finds his scoring boots.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

One of the reasons I was initially skeptical of Terry before joining us was that I watched him a couple times during his last season at Chelsea and back then he still tried to this and it was a car crash.

He just didn't have the legs for it anymore.

By the time he joined us, and since he is vastly experienced he adjusted his way of playing and became a very solid piece for us.

With Jedi it's just not going to work, the whole team will suffer for his limitations at CB IMO.

Anyway, hope Kodjia finds his scoring boots.

I agree.

trouble is for me there is so much about JT I like, I find it hard to pick out the troublesome bits.

He has been a great player in his day, but you are right, his legs have gone and opponents know it.....we need a quality CB

• Like 1

Â