Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think we need another striker in regardless but basing it off Kodjia tonight is a bit harsh on him. We can't spent the majority of the night berating the style Bruce implemented whilst also criticising Kodjia for his performance. One incident aside where he was as selfish as he usually tends to be is all you can say about him really, otherwise we played long which didn't suit him in the slightest and essentially relied on Hull making mistakes for us. 

As a striker, if he scores we're ordinarily not going to complain about his performance and the fact that we didn't create a single opportunity for him (outside of that blocked shot in the first half that he had no space to get off) should be of most concern really. We can't rely on set-pieces and right backs doing the job for us every week.

Good post.  He got to and held more than his share of those long balls forward.  And you’re right he blew it not hitting Elmo sooner on that one break.  But I liked that Elmo gave him hell about it and that he apologized.  It makes it more likely he will do that less in the future

Kodjia just has the yips. He is the same frustrating, selfish player he has always been but he's just not connecting with his chances. Once he buries one he will start to kick on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay.P.A said:

Massive overreaction in this thread. Jheeze.

Had nothing to feed off all game. Ran the channels at any given opportunity because nothing was going down the middle. Since when are people expecting Kodjia to win everything in the air like Benteke/Davis? Never has.

Needs better service - even when he was banging them in most of the goals he had to create on his own.

No it isn't he was very poor. Watch the gane again and tell me how many times he chased the ball down. Higan despite his faults his work rate is fantastic.

Kodjia was moaning at his teammates all game getting frustrated

He was so easy for defend against. Really poor performance.

• Like 2

I actually don’t think he was being selfish for the Elmo incident. It was just poor judgement. Rather than release it straight away he tried to commit a player first and then lay it off. Got it horribley wrong. 

However if you look at the body position of the defender. Had he played Elmo through the defender would have been able to track back as was expecting it. 

Still no defence but I don’t think it was selfishness. It’s was just shit play. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually don’t think he was being selfish for the Elmo incident. It was just poor judgement. Rather than release it straight away he tried to commit a player first and then lay it off. Got it horribley wrong. 

However if you look at the body position of the defender. Had he played Elmo through the defender would have been able to track back as was expecting it. 

I do think it was selfishness. It was an easy pass to elmo and it should be been given to him. Kodjia just did his usual glory run to nowhere.

Yeah, I think as we discovered last season, we can score plenty of goals without him. No real objection to selling him for funds to either invest elsewhere or help us with FFP. I think Davis and RHM can offer more myself.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He never once looked up at the time

Don't understand why people seem a bit surprised about his performance. His football IQ is desperately low. Brain dead player. Technique woeful too. Even the injuries he gets look self inflicted, very awkward the way he plays.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No it isn't he was very poor. Watch the gane again and tell me how many times he chased the ball down. Higan despite his faults his work rate is fantastic.

Kodjia was moaning at his teammates all game getting frustrated

He was so easy for defend against. Really poor performance.

How many times did he hold the ball up on the wings though? How many times did he lose the ball? I've seen the game mate - literally had no service all game. Obviously you're going to be frustrated.

Chasing the ball down? By himself in the final third with no Villa player near him for 20/30 yards? He's not Forrest Gump. 

I think his massive and obvious greed is a bit of a symptom of trying to hard and having to force everything in an attempt to get back on track. First season everything he hit flew in and after so long out he is so desperate to get that feeling back. 

I actually thought he played OK first half last night except for the Elmo incident. He won plenty of headers, linked up well at times and offered runs in the channels. Compare that to some of the Hogan performances last year where he literally didn't touch the ball.

I think as soon as he gets a couple of goals he'll be fine and I fully expect him to get plenty this year once he's up and running. If selling him meant we didn't have to sell Jack I'd be tempted (assuming a decent loan replacement could be found). Otherwise I think we'd be mad to let him go. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Davis needs to improve his finishing/goal scoring. If he can do that then he'll be a player, until then he's just a worse Heskey.

But we look a much better team with him playing imo. He can bring others into the game much better and we can score goals from midfield. 

20 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

This makes no sense what so ever. 'Technically' he is probably the best player at the club with the ball aside from Grealish. 9 times out of 10, defenders can't get the ball off the guy. 

What a weird comment to make. It's like you haven't seen Kodjia make defenders look like mugs in his Villa career so far.

Low "Football IQ"  - Are you having a laugh? There's a difference in being greedy (which he is, he's a striker) and having no football IQ. Traore was a player who didn't have football IQ. Kodjia's goals for us show that he does have football IQ - the ability to get in behind a defender and score the goals he has for us shows that. 

The guy needs a run of games and chances to be created for him to flourish. 

Give your head a wobble if your putting kodjia as the best we have in technical ability next to grealish. I think he's brutal on the ball. I really do. His awareness of where his team mates are and his decision making on the ball is poor. And u think he's next in technical ability to grealish. Odd. All strikers maybe greedy yes but all strikers don't try and go past 4 players when you have a team mate in space. Not last night but he's done this many many times.

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Give your head a wobble if your putting kodjia as the best we have in technical ability next to grealish. I think he's brutal on the ball. I really do. His awareness of where his team mates are and his decision making on the ball is poor. And u think he's next in technical ability to grealish. Odd. All strikers maybe greedy yes but all strikers don't try and go past 4 players when you have a team mate in space. Not last night but he's done this many many times.

Jesus. 'Brutal' on the ball? Completely bizarre on how our opinions are different lol. I'm sure most fans will agree with me on this one unfortunately mate. 

His ball control can be brilliant at times. I've seen it. Defenders can't get the ball of him. 

Image result for Kodjia gif

tenor.gif?itemid=11103142

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/776135287743344640

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â