Ashley Young

maqroll

His play today was poor, but two things have stuck out to me recently.

1. Coming to the defense of Chuk at the end of the Leicester match after Maddison kicked Chuk‘S shins out.

2. His celebration after our second goal today, he was beaming and jumping. Surely at least part of that was excitement for Chuk’s fantastic assist.

Having a senior presence to help along the young stars is a massive help. Look at how Jack transformed once he had proper leadership in Dean and JT instead of Gabby and McCormack to look up to.

Touch was off today which really hampered what he could do. Still a very important member of this squad. 

I was just reminiscing today on when I solidified my die-hard love for Villa, and it was when Ash was lighting it up in front of the Holte. He's a very big reason why I'm a Villa fan and it's nice to see it all come around full circle with the role he's playing here now. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Don’t think he was as poor as some are making out. Yes he made a big, unacceptable mistake that nearly cost us a goal, but most of his play was disciplined and tidy, and he covered a lot of ground.

For a winger, being tidy and covering the ground isn’t enough. We need some playmaking.

5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

He should be making cameos not be center stage.  Great for the squad but not starting eleven.

I think Gerrard is utilising Young to ensure the system they want to play with us being embedded properly. He’s essentially another mouth piece, another set of eyes, and a huge amount of experience. It’s very telling that he is up off the bench for Carney’s assist, in JJ’s face after his goal. He’s doing his coaching badges alongside his role here and I have no doubt he’ll be working very closely with the academy next season.

Fantastic signing.

• Like 3

A lot of injuries/players out currently but shouldn't be starting as an AM/winger for us at his age. Maybe LB when Targett is injured/out of form.

He's not the pacey, skillful winger he was 10 years ago. His best position now is FB and he shouldn't play further forward for us. The weakest attacking player last night.

Poor yesterday but find it hard to criticise when he's been so good recently.

He's doing exactly what we bought him for. Filling in wherever we need him and using his experience well.

We're not going to get top drawer performances out of him every week

• Like 1

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I did wonder last night if he is perhaps carrying a bit of an injury. Seemed quite stiff in his movement.

Has done better than I expected tbh. If we get him on the ball he has an air of composure and you really see his experience and class in those situations. If a pass is just a fraction of a yard off into him though or behind him he really struggles to adjust his direction and compensate.

I don't want to disrespect him but I don't see too many games now where he should be starting barring injuries.

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I did wonder last night if he is perhaps carrying a bit of an injury. Seemed quite stiff in his movement.

Does being in your mid-late thirties count as an injury? I think its probably more that he can't bounce back like a 20 something can after a lot of games in quick succession. I think we are using him a lot more than we anticipated when signing him, but there is no one who can replace his experience and sh*thousery either. Plus I'm not sure a desperate Burley side is the best game to start youth players

• Like 2

It would be good for Young if we could rest him now and again as this will help him through the season.

Unfortunately with our injuries and Covid cases this has not been possible, we may need his experience against Burnley too.

I've been impressed with him since Gerrard has arrived, he seems to have been lifted.

He's doing his coaching nudges too I heard. Hpefully he stays with us as what a great experienced player to have around the youth players, academy and those breaking through now and in the future.

• Like 3

Â