Ashley Young

maqroll

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

It was a great forward run and pass but if I was Ollie Watkins who made a fantastic run and even better strike I think I’d be a bit upset reading these comments 😆

A goal usually involves several players each with their own distinct contribution towards the goal. If any one of these players in the chain fail, then there is no goal in the first place.

I do think that we often give too much credit to players involved in the chain whenever a goal actually happens. Good individual moves happen all the time, but most of the time it leads to nothing because someone further down the chain failed their part. That doesn't necessarily make that individual move worse, but it does inevitably get less credit than a move that does lead towards a goal. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

It was a great forward run and pass but if I was Ollie Watkins who made a fantastic run and even better strike I think I’d be a bit upset reading these comments 😆

Yes to say it was all Ashley Young is a a bit rediculous. He played his part but Watkins was the most important bit. 

His turn and touches in the assist were sublime, beautiful. That's perfect ball control, including the weight and placement of the pass. One journalist described him as somehow turning out of a cul-de-sac. 🤩Thank you Villa hero Ashley!

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think we win without Ashley Young receiving that ball from Marv.

Two positions in 20 mins. Encouraging good ball management / running clock down. Superb cameo.

At 1-0 were keeping the ball well and a fan behind kept shouting get it in the **** box. I had to turn around say we need to keep the ball! 

I’m no football expert but I swear some of our fans are clueless.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, robby b said:

His turn and touches in the assist were sublime, beautiful. That's perfect ball control, including the weight and placement of the pass. One journalist described him as somehow turning out of a cul-de-sac. 🤩Thank you Villa hero Ashley!

That was prime 2009 from Ash that was 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

At 1-0 were keeping the ball well and a fan behind kept shouting get it in the **** box. I had to turn around say we need to keep the ball! 

Yes, some are sadly. Don't get too many at games which is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The average person is a moron, and half of people are even thicker than that.

• Like 2

Wasn’t just the involvement in the goal but on motd you could see him in the celebration huddle telling the players to keep their focus and see it through … I’m not sure I want him playing week in week out but he’s clear a good influence on the squad 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair play to you for having the presence of mind to put him right after downing 12 pints at half time. I salute you 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Haha 1

Used exactly as he should be. He's what 36 now? He's going to have flashes of what he was like 10 years ago but not consistently. That's what we saw with the goal. That's like the main thing with aging athletes generally, you can still hit a high level of performance but it's very difficult to sustain and maintain it consistently. If we wanted Young to play 70 mins every game he probably wouldn't look as good as if used for half an hour.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I admit I wanted Watkins to square it to El Goalzi. Er sorry about that.

I think Young is going to have to settle for a cameo off the bench role this season. I wonder if he wants to do some coaching when he retires?

I think Gerrard sees him doing what Defoe did for him at Rangers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I admit I wanted Watkins to square it to El Goalzi. Er sorry about that.

I think Young is going to have to settle for a cameo off the bench role this season. I wonder if he wants to do some coaching when he retires?

I think Gerrard sees him doing what Defoe did for him at Rangers.

Punditry for Sky on other games while we are playing?

21 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Fair play to you for having the presence of mind to put him right after downing 12 pints at half time. I salute you 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

13 pints!?! Not been lately have you? You're lucky to get one pint. They staff as slower than Harry Maguire turning around.

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

Agree. Great performance but he shouldn't be starting. 

....or taking up a place on the bench. The more you scrutinize our summer business the more you understand why people started to leave a sinking ship. Naturally Dean would never walk away, so put up with the stupid shit handed down to him until it cost him his job.

• Confused 1

I do clearly remember when he first signed for us I said to the person next to me at the game that I didn't know why we went for him and Luke Moore is better.

Nearly 15 years later and he is still playing having won 5 major trophies in 2 different countries with over 35 caps for England.

Moore retired 5 years ago. 

Never ask a football fan his opinions. 

• Haha 4

Â