Ashley Young

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

What a difference a few games make. 'Why is he starting?' was the main issue and now people want him in from the start. Think it shows you shouldn't judge players on a handful of games.

Sure he cost the last manager his job apparently was what people were saying 

34 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

What a difference a few games make. 'Why is he starting?' was the main issue and now people want him in from the start. Think it shows you shouldn't judge players on a handful of games.

For your own sake, stay out of the Leon Bailey thread.

I was wondering how many other players have turned out for the Villa in 3 different decades? Can't be that many. You need to have either played for Villa for most of your career or return late on.

The ones I can think of would be Cowans, Spink, Johnny Dixon, Eric Houghton, and Billy Walker. 

Oh and Charlie Aitken just about I think.

Can anyone add to the list?

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I was wondering how many other players have turned out for the Villa in 3 different decades? Can't be that many. You need to have either played for Villa for most of your career or return late on.

The ones I can think of would be Cowans, Spink, Johnny Dixon, Eric Houghton, and Billy Walker. 

I think Charlie was around in the 50s but only turned out in the 60s and 70s.  I cant think of any more. 

10 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Very impressed. Seems happy to play anywhere in any capacity as long as it helps the team out. Doesn't seem to have any ego at all and just comes across as a genuine professional. 

This. 

He’s had a great career and you won’t hear many people say this but his move to United for me, was a bit of a travesty. 

He had every right to go there and he obviously backed himself to nail down a place in the side in his preferred position but he never really did.

Make no mistake about it, there was a time when Ashley Young was the best English left winger in the league and an absolute delight to watch. He should have left here and gone to a club where he continued to tear teams apart down that left hand side. He was just an all round superb wide attacking player.

I wonder if Young ever regretted the move. Yeh, he played a fair few games for United but I’m sure a large part of him regrets not being able to become the absolute superstar winger he should have. 

Anyway. A very shrewd signing by the club and he’ll be very fondly remembered by all Villa fans when he hangs up his boots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This. 

He’s had a great career and you won’t hear many people say this but his move to United for me, was a bit of a travesty. 

He had every right to go there and he obviously backed himself to nail down a place in the side in his preferred position but he never really did.

Make no mistake about it, there was a time when Ashley Young was the best English left winger in the league and an absolute delight to watch. He should have left here and gone to a club where he continued to tear teams apart down that left hand side. He was just an all round superb wide attacking player.

I wonder if Young ever regretted the move. Yeh, he played a fair few games for United but I’m sure a large part of him regrets not being able to become the absolute superstar winger he should have. 

Anyway. A very shrewd signing by the club and he’ll be very fondly remembered by all Villa fans when he hangs up his boots.

First 2 seasons he was definitely first choice in his preferred position and was flying. I don't think I've ever seen a player net me as many fantasy points as he did in the 8-2 vs Arsenal.

I think he went to United a couple of years too late. He should've replaced Ronaldo arguably, as United were one of the last big teams still playing with traditional wingers at the time and often a 4-4-2. It worked out well for him in the end. He got a ton of trophies and Villa spent the next decade either avoiding the Championship or trying to get out of it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Can he stay fit for another decade and play 4 decades like Litmanen did 😂

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This. 

Wow, you could be writing exactly the same thing about Grealish in 5 years time. He will end up the same.

Happy he’s back and proving a great addition for a second time.

Still one of my favorite Villa moments was his winning goal against Everton in I think 2008 at the end of injury time. I remember Lescott equalizing and just deflating everyone and then Young with just a moment of brilliance passing the ball to himself through the defense and curling it in. I literally leapt up and down going nuts. A lot of fond memories of the players on that roster.

For me Young is our starting LB going forward. If we are going to play this narrow we need boths our FBs to be capable of beating a man at times.

Nothing against Targett but the requirements of our new system seem a step to far for him from an athletic perspective. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

For me Young is our starting LB going forward. If we are going to play this narrow we need boths our FBs to be capable of beating a man at times.

Nothing against Targett but the requirements of our new system seem a step to far for him from an athletic perspective. 

Not for me. He really struggled at points today. Was being showed on his left a lot and just couldn't get out on his side.

Targett still undisputed No.3

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not for me. He really struggled at points today. Was being showed on his left a lot and just couldn't get out on his side.

Targett still undisputed No.3

But neither are good enough for where we want to be.

Targett's defending to me is too last ditch due to his lack of pace.

Fully expect that position to be sorted in the summer.

Â