General Chat

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've always loved teaching and mentoring people in my career.  Enough to think about pursuing it full time.  It's never been realistic, though, as I love designing too.

Today, my biz partner and I have taken a punt on bringing those two worlds together.  I'm excited, nervous, and hoping beyond hope that this goes the way we think it could...

https://www.sparkdesignacademy.com/

Sounds very exciting, I wish you lots of luck!! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've always loved teaching and mentoring people in my career.  Enough to think about pursuing it full time.  It's never been realistic, though, as I love designing too.

Today, my biz partner and I have taken a punt on bringing those two worlds together.  I'm excited, nervous, and hoping beyond hope that this goes the way we think it could...

https://www.sparkdesignacademy.com/

Good luck mate!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, blandy said:

Not aimed at you @sidcow just a general comment, in the general chat thread, but this is off (though I get what you mean). Here's why. There are loads of Northern towns with some amazing buildings and wotnot, like the tower in Blackburn . They were mostly built long ago, when the towns were not considered by anyone as "no mark towns", but were centres of enterprise and industry and endeavour and all that good stuff. Full of pride and respected and known across large parts of the world. Without getting political, that situation changed since the 70s, when decisions were made to start centralising control towards that London, towards "services" instead of industry and has only worsened since.

It's true, I think, that in very recent years larger cities have managed to (and been helped to) change their own fortunes - I mean look at all the rebuilding in Brum, Manchester, Leeds... That needs to be further spread to these "no mark" towns. Give places freedom and help with resources and the locals are every bit as keen to do impressive things as were the Victorians and those who followed them.

Stoke is another great example, used to be the centre of the pottery world and well known globally to collectors, been decimated in the past 30 years.

It was really quite sad to see sites manufacturing sites closing up and shutting down in the time I lived there and it’s had a massive impact on the identity and culture of the city, in fact it’s now devoid of any real culture or identity whatsoever.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Stoke is another great example, used to be the centre of the pottery world and well known globally to collectors, been decimated in the past 30 years.

It was really quite sad to see sites manufacturing sites closing up and shutting down in the time I lived there and it’s had a massive impact on the identity and culture of the city, in fact it’s now devoid of any real culture or identity whatsoever.

Driving back from Waterworld with the kids last year it looked like a ghost town

I don't think it's just northern towns, Kidderminster is finished

They closed the big brintons carpet factory in the centre and built a shiny new tesco, everyone loved it, the council got new infrastructure paid for, the townspeople could buy pasta at 4am... Its pillaged the town centre, they might blame online shopping but in reality it's tesco and the othere that's made kiddy a ghost town, 55k people and we have a tesco, Morrisons, 2 aldi, asda, farm foods, Iceland, sainsbury, co-op, 6 tesco express and a sainburys local meaning that the centre now consists of charity and vaping shops

Not sure if Stourbridge has fared any better 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think it's just northern towns, Kidderminster is finished

They closed the big brintons carpet factory in the centre and built a shiny new tesco, everyone loved it, the council got new infrastructure paid for, the townspeople could buy pasta at 4am... Its pillaged the town centre, they might blame online shopping but in reality it's tesco and the othere that's made kiddy a ghost town, 55k people and we have a tesco, Morrisons, 2 aldi, asda, farm foods, Iceland, sainsbury, co-op, 6 tesco express and a sainburys local meaning that the centre now consists of charity and vaping shops

Not sure if Stourbridge has fared any better 

Like you both say, a lot of towns have had similar demises. Tamworth... the Ventura Park on the outskirts has everything you need... 2 big supermarkets (3 if you include M&S), all the bargain shops (TK Maxx, Matalan, Primark - coming soon) so the town centre has been impacted. 

Even Sutton Coldfield... it was never a centre of industry, but it was always a well-to-do town centre. Its like a ghost town now.. all the main stores, which anchored the shopping parade have gone... M and S, BHS, Woolworths and Argos. I'm surprised HoF is still open. 

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

My nephew has been murdered in Sutton Coldfield. It's going to be on the news tonight.

Can't even imagine what you and your family must be going through.  Condolences and thoughts from me and my family to yours.

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

My nephew has been murdered in Sutton Coldfield. It's going to be on the news tonight.

😮 I'm so sorry Rob. Just horrible

Â