General Chat

Stevo985

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Had a weird situation at footie yesterday, never seen it in a real game and there was a dispute on how to actually rule on it.

The opposition guy had the ball with his back to goal, I went to tackle him but caught his leg, he stayed up so played the advantage. A few seconds passed, he tried to pirouette and got between him and the ball and he fouled me.

So, what's the rule here?

No advantage, so goes back to the initial foul, FK to them.

He got his advantage, lost the ball and fouled me so FK to us.

Play on as both cancel out?

Some times when the ref plays an advantage but there quickly isn’t one he’ll pull it back for their FK. I think it should be a free kick to the opposition player in this instance if any advantage quickly vanished.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some times when the ref plays an advantage but there quickly isn’t one he’ll pull it back for their FK. I think it should be a free kick to the opposition player in this instance if any advantage quickly vanished.

But he cocked up the advantage rather than there not being one after all

Funny situation 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Had a weird situation at footie yesterday, never seen it in a real game and there was a dispute on how to actually rule on it.

The opposition guy had the ball with his back to goal, I went to tackle him but caught his leg, he stayed up so played the advantage. A few seconds passed, he tried to pirouette and got between him and the ball and he fouled me.

So, what's the rule here?

No advantage, so goes back to the initial foul, FK to them.

He got his advantage, lost the ball and fouled me so FK to us.

Play on as both cancel out?

Only one way to clear that mess up... 

let them fight fighting GIF

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The wife and I often watch HGTV - proper old codgers' channel, admittedly, but we're addicted to all those property programs - Escape to the Country, A Place in the Sun, etc. Anyway, there's a female continuity announcer on there with an accent that I can't quite place - the wife says she's a Brummie, but I think not, not quite. Definitely a flat midlands accent, but where from? Black country, maybe, the way she says 'escape to the cuntraaay', but I'm just not sure. 

Can’t help you with the continuity announcer, will keep an ear out for her.

But just taking the opportunity to say that of the various presenters on Escape to the country, I always think it looks like Johnnie Irwin takes it most personally  when they don’t like one of the properties.

Watch him, when they visit the mystery house and they say “Hmmm we were hoping for a bit more dining space in the kitchen”, the look in his eyes. It’s like a despondent rage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Can’t help you with the continuity announcer, will keep an ear out for her.

But just taking the opportunity to say that of the various presenters on Escape to the country, I always think it looks like Johnnie Irwin takes it most personally  when they don’t like one of the properties.

Watch him, when they visit the mystery house and they say “Hmmm we were hoping for a bit more dining space in the kitchen”, the look in his eyes. It’s like a despondent rage. 

Crikey, somebody else watches it. The presenter that gives me the creeps is Jules Hudson. He's got a real supercilious Tory boy manner, and a totally false laugh. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Crikey, somebody else watches it. The presenter that gives me the creeps is Jules Hudson. He's got a real supercilious Tory boy manner, and a totally false laugh. 

It’s his permanently ruddy cheeks that I notice. A few of them are a bit Tory-ish including Alistair Appleton, but I kinda like him, seems a decent sort.

It’s an easy watch, it’s on if I’m doing the ironing or something. Interesting enough to pass the time, if I miss a bit, no problem. I know someone who appeared on it once (briefly, it was her folks who were looking for a house...they still managed to get her name wrong).

It pisses all over “a place in the sun”.

There's a dying fox on the beach nearby. I can't tell if its injured or old. Poor thing tried to get up when I stumbled upon it but couldn't. I'm debating whether to put it out of its misery.

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s his permanently ruddy cheeks that I notice. A few of them are a bit Tory-ish including Alistair Appleton, but I kinda like him, seems a decent sort.

It’s an easy watch, it’s on if I’m doing the ironing or something. Interesting enough to pass the time, if I miss a bit, no problem. I know someone who appeared on it once (briefly, it was her folks who were looking for a house...they still managed to get her name wrong).

It pisses all over “a place in the sun”.

You're right there. Although I'm always gobsmacked by how cheap the continental properties are, compared to the UK ones. For years Mrs M and I considered buying somewhere rural (in Britain), which is why we got into watching ETTC. But now it's just habit, as we ain't going nowhere due to family commitments. As for Appleton, yeah he seems OK. My wife's best mate really fancies him - I have tried to persuade her that a gay buddhist morris dancer is probably not for her. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

STOP THE CLOCKS!

When did you come back?!

Absolutely delighted to see you on here again, mate. Genuinely.

I think early last week, cheers mate. It's nice to come back 5 years on and see the same posters hanging the same arguments 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Genie said:

I love homes under the hammer, I’d love to be a property developer. 

Possibly for the boring or the things you wonder thread but anyway...

When Martin says something like “Well whoever buys this house, when it comes to this kitchen, I don’t think they’ll want to leave it this way....”

Cue the sound of Jimmy Somerville singing “Don’t leave me this way.....”.

What I want to know is, do the production team speak to him beforehand and say “Martin, can you work in the The Communards, we’ve been listening to them a fair bit recently.” 

Or does he go rogue and the production team are left to sort it out, despite having told him beforehand to reference any “mirror in the bathroom” he sees.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a quiz programme on the TV earlier, I think it was ‘Pointless’.

There was a list of clues to various cities, I paraphrase but it basically came down to clues along the lines of:

A city in Portugal beginning with a P.

A city in Ireland beginning with a C.

Plus a few others along similar lines. Anyway, the one contestant just said they didn’t know cities, so were asked to just guess, they said they couldn’t. So the bloke asking the questions suggested, well we need an answer just name a city from England.

The answer she gave?

Scotland.

Noted in our house as well. God help us if there is a war. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a list of clues to various cities, I paraphrase but it basically came down to clues along the lines of:

Plus a few others along similar lines. Anyway, the one contestant just said they didn’t know cities, so were asked to just guess, they said they couldn’t. So the bloke asking the questions suggested, well we need an answer just name a city from England.

The answer she gave?

Scotland.

I'd definitely apply for a TV quiz show if I had no basic knowledge. 

Like Bullseye back in the day, when the non dart player had to throw 3 darts. Some didn't even hit the board. Just practice for a few weeks before you go on! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The answer she gave?

Scotland.

Scotland doesn’t begin with a p 

staring dumb and dumber GIF

Â