General Chat

Stevo985

On 13/10/2020 at 15:10, Paddywhack said:

Do you ever learn something and feel very stupid for not knowing it before?

If you'd have asked me to guess Noam Chomsky's date of birth, I'd have guessed he was born about 1875 and died sometime around the mid 1900s.

I had no idea he was born in 1928 and was still alive. I thought he was an historic, Russian philosopher.

I don't know how I ended up on this page, but I'd have probably agreed with you if I hadn't seen him interviewed by Ali G :blush:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Avoided posting this for a couple of reasons as my bro in law is a Villa supporter and he might be a member here. 
My wifes mother died early yesterday. They are a fairly cold family when it comes to emotions but my wife and the entire family are carrying on as if it hasn’t happened. Literally nothing. Its **** weird. My daughter is mourning and upset, but none of the others are showing anything. 

Like Mike says, people deal with things in their own way. The important thing is that they're dealing with it and not just putting a lid on it.  When that happens, to often the lid will eventually blast off...

• Like 2

Question probably best thread

Would you recommend a air fryer or a pressure cooker? I am looking at getting one but not sure which one is  better. Cant tell that there is much difference.  Wondering if anyone from experience can tell me whats better?

Both in one?

We had the misfortune of our slow cooker dying a death after it rolled off the drying rack.  Got a pressure cooker as it does the slow cooking stuff well, plus the pressure cooker can cook meaty goodness super fast (I've also baked a cheesecake in it).  But we tend to use the slow cooker stuff about 4 times as week, being able to stick stuff in to cook in the morning and let it stew all day works for us.

Our air fryer also died at the start of lockdown, haven't replaced it - and as much as I miss being able to air dry chips and chicken in one pot, those fryers leave an fair bit of grease buildup (well, it does if you're as lazy as clearing up as I am I guess) about the place and take up an awful lot of room.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Would you recommend a air fryer or a pressure cooker? I am looking at getting one but not sure which one is  better. Cant tell that there is much difference.  Wondering if anyone from experience can tell me whats better?

You appear to to want to know the difference between a hammer and a drill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CardiffGreens said:

Both in one?

We had the misfortune of our slow cooker dying a death after it rolled off the drying rack.  Got a pressure cooker as it does the slow cooking stuff well, plus the pressure cooker can cook meaty goodness super fast (I've also baked a cheesecake in it).  But we tend to use the slow cooker stuff about 4 times as week, being able to stick stuff in to cook in the morning and let it stew all day works for us.

Our air fryer also died at the start of lockdown, haven't replaced it - and as much as I miss being able to air dry chips and chicken in one pot, those fryers leave an fair bit of grease buildup (well, it does if you're as lazy as clearing up as I am I guess) about the place and take up an awful lot of room.

Thanks didnt realise you can get ones that did both!! Might be best option although i leaning towards a air fryer as seems to crisp football abit better.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You appear to to want to know the difference between a hammer and a drill

Is that the tools you use to cook up north? And you call us southerners wierd 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks didnt realise you can get ones that did both!! Might be best option although i leaning towards a air fryer as seems to crisp football abit better.

Is that the tools you use to cook up north? And you call us southerners wierd 

I'd call you decidely odd if you tried to cook a stew in an air fryer as I would if you tried to make healthy chips in a pressure cooker but if it makes you happy with your shandy doing the Lambeth Walk up the apples and pears, so be it

• Haha 1

I kinda had my head down at work for a while and only fleetingly looked in the past couple of months

I've clearly missed something with lots of avatar changes  , can anyone summarize the last few months on VT for me so i can get up to speed without having to read 8000 posts

PS

I particularly like @StefanAVFC avatar  as I can now picture the smile on his face when he reads one of my bolitics posts :)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I kinda had my head down at work for a while and only fleetingly looked in the past couple of months

I've clearly missed something with lots of avatar changes  , can anyone summarize the last few months on VT for me so i can get up to speed without having to read 8000 posts

PS

I particularly like @StefanAVFC avatar  as I can now picture the smile on his face when he reads one of my bolitics posts :)

I went away for a while, people changed avatars, @blandy probably deleted the entire forum. 

• Haha 4

On 09/11/2020 at 20:41, Demitri_C said:

ive got both and use both regulalry. Pressure cooker is good for caseroles or cooking a joint of meat at late notice. Particularly a frozen gammon if you've forgotten to get one out of the freezer.

Air fryer we pretty much use for home made chips, used both to try and eat a little healthily, works well.

Ive heard you can get both combined, not experienced it though.

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I often watch HGTV - proper old codgers' channel, admittedly, but we're addicted to all those property programs - Escape to the Country, A Place in the Sun, etc. Anyway, there's a female continuity announcer on there with an accent that I can't quite place - the wife says she's a Brummie, but I think not, not quite. Definitely a flat midlands accent, but where from? Black country, maybe, the way she says 'escape to the cuntraaay', but I'm just not sure. 

• Like 1

Had a weird situation at footie yesterday, never seen it in a real game and there was a dispute on how to actually rule on it.

The opposition guy had the ball with his back to goal, I went to tackle him but caught his leg, he stayed up so played the advantage. A few seconds passed, he tried to pirouette and got between him and the ball and he fouled me.

So, what's the rule here?

No advantage, so goes back to the initial foul, FK to them.

He got his advantage, lost the ball and fouled me so FK to us.

Play on as both cancel out?

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Had a weird situation at footie yesterday, never seen it in a real game and there was a dispute on how to actually rule on it.

The opposition guy had the ball with his back to goal, I went to tackle him but caught his leg, he stayed up so played the advantage. A few seconds passed, he tried to pirouette and got between him and the ball and he fouled me.

So, what's the rule here?

No advantage, so goes back to the initial foul, FK to them.

He got his advantage, lost the ball and fouled me so FK to us.

Play on as both cancel out?

I would consider that a free kick to you.

Â