General Chat

Stevo985

i was at sixth form so skipped a class to go home and watch it, can remember a kid telling me a plane has hit the WTC and me picturing the New York UN waterfront offices in my head rather than the twin towers, I missed the planes hitting but saw them collapse, it was mental

Im 36 and would say that's easily the biggest event in my lifetime, my mom made me watch the berlin wall coming down and tried to explain the significance of that (she was born in Germany and had spent time in the city)

think the scariest thing I've seen from the various documentaries was that when the plane hit it spew debris and burning jet fuel on to those who were on the plaza below, **** that 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

A similar thing could happen again unless modern planes can be controlled remotely? There was the pilot a few years ago who committed suicide by flying a plane full of passengers into the side of a mountain on purpose. 

The conspiracy theorist in me says it won't happen again but airports enjoy charging you £3 for a bottle of water airside... 

It would be interesting to know what the counter terrorism division actually think the liklihood is, it just seems like so much hard work compared to other targets, are airports really more of a risk than sporting events, train stations, shopping centres? My last visit to the states in December I was still made to take my shoes off cos of what 1 guy tried to do 15 years ago, some of it just seems a bit mad that airports are still considered such a high risk 

The suicide stuff is a bit scary though, can remember the incident with the pilot in the mountains, near impossible to stop that, onus on the airlines as employers to check mental health but other than that what can they do other than like you say remote access control if the plane starts to do something funny but if the technology is there to do that then how long before it's all done that way? 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The conspiracy theorist in me says it won't happen again but airports enjoy charging you £3 for a bottle of water airside... 

It would be interesting to know what the counter terrorism division actually think the liklihood is, it just seems like so much hard work compared to other targets, are airports really more of a risk than sporting events, train stations, shopping centres? My last visit to the states in December I was still made to take my shoes off cos of what 1 guy tried to do 15 years ago, some of it just seems a bit mad that airports are still considered such a high risk 

The suicide stuff is a bit scary though, can remember the incident with the pilot in the mountains, near impossible to stop that, onus on the airlines as employers to check mental health but other than that what can they do other than like you say remote access control if the plane starts to do something funny but if the technology is there to do that then how long before it's all done that way? 

The problem with remote access is then hacking and crashing planes remotely. It’s all fun.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't they make it mandatory to have at least two people in the cockpit at all times after that?

The issue with him was he locked himself in the cockpit so nobody could stop him.

I might be wrong but I'm sure they made that a rule

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Didn't they make it mandatory to have at least two people in the cockpit at all times after that?

The issue with him was he locked himself in the cockpit so nobody could stop him.

I might be wrong but I'm sure they made that a rule

It seems crazy that that wasn't a rule at any time. Pilots can suffer heart attacks or such. 

• Like 1

You always used to have 3 people in the cockpit... the flight engineer being the third but they became surplus to requirements when planes got more advanced. 

Its only in the last 20 years or so that cockpits have become secure and able to be locked and withstand a kick

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought that was a post 9/11 thing

Yeah, 19 years ago to be precise!  Mad to think that sometimes they left the cockpit door open prior to that! 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and we've talked about different airports and security before, my aunty had 2 blocks of cheese taken off her at dusseldorf last week, they classed it as a paste, £15 each they were too big for a toiletries bag

I got myself one, its good cheese!

Years ago at my wife's workplace, somebody received a mysterious package which smelled like almonds (an indicator of semtex, apparently). The building was evacuated and the bomb squad called in to do a controlled explosion. Result: Turkish delight all over the car park. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Years ago at my wife's workplace, somebody received a mysterious package which smelled like almonds (an indicator of semtex, apparently). The building was evacuated and the bomb squad called in to do a controlled explosion. Result: Turkish delight all over the car park. 

Blowing up the turkish delight. Result!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When I was working away we’d commute via Heathrow because we were so rock n roll.

One flight, for no reason, my boss just up and told the flight attendant I loved pilots and cockpits but was too shy to ask to go and say hello. She went and had a word and they invited me upfront, Airplane stylee! 

Anyway as we started the descent in to Heathrow I offered to bugger off and they said no, it was fine, I could stay. So I had the cockpit view of landing a 737 in Heathrow. It was freekin’ awesome.

Nice experience that.

My best Heathrow story was taxiing to the runway when there was an almighty noise and the cabin shaking, as I looked out the window it was a Concorde taking off 👌 

• Like 2

I've been lucky enough to go to the cockpit mid flight a few times when I was kid. 

No awkward Airplane style exchange though! 

Always wished I got to experience Concorde. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well you can't be too careful with a package containing geli

• Like 1

BBC just running a story about a one eyed jockey. 

I nearly spat my coffee out. I don't think I've ever heard anything so genuine that sounded so rude. Except for maybe a Wankel Rotary Engine. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

On 16/09/2020 at 18:11, Xela said:
On 16/09/2020 at 17:57, mjmooney said:

Blowing up the turkish delight. Result!

Was going to say given the choice I'd have preferred the semtex.

• Like 1

Â