General Chat

Stevo985

On 18/09/2020 at 13:23, Genie said:

About 10 years ago I went on a business trip to Germany and back with a stanley knife in my hand luggage. 
I didn’t realise until I got back and was unpacking my bag.

It was quite worrying it didn’t get detected at all.

My American cousin borrowed a bag from his dad when he came over here a few years ago. 

Got to his mates house in Laaandan and unpacked to find about 10 rounds of live ammunition in a side pocket.  His dad had used is when he went hunting and forgot the ammo. 

Been through LA and Heathrow Airport. Could have been arrested at either. 

On 10/10/2020 at 18:59, Follyfoot said:

At first glance that  read “bishop bums altar priest” on my phone until I put my readers on

Hey, stop bashing the Bishop! 

• Haha 1

71 team members in a Teams meeting.

One person apart from the host has their camera on. His struggle to look engaged is keeping me engaged.

Edited by Xann

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Even watching this makes me queasy. No harness either! 

I think this should be mandatory for all BBC presenters today ;) 

Trowel in on hand , fag in the other as he’s hanging 100 feet in the air :) 

New Yorker suspends Jeffrey Toobin for allegedly masturbating on Zoom call

The New Yorker magazine has suspended one of its long-time staff writers, legal expert Jeffrey Toobin, while it investigates a report that he was allegedly masturbating during a Zoom work call earlier this month.

“I made an embarrassingly stupid mistake, believing I was off-camera,” Toobin said in a statement on Monday about the situation, first reported by Vice.

He added: “I apologize to my wife, family, friends and co-workers. I thought I had muted the Zoom video, I thought no one on the Zoom call could see me.”

He has so far declined to confirm details.

...more

• 2 weeks later...

3rd body found after 2 killed in Coventry at the weekend. I run up there and it’s a really popular place for other runners and dog walkers.

Still on the run with the police helicopter going for the last few hours 

On 17/10/2020 at 18:35, Xela said:

Even watching this makes me queasy. No harness either! 

I think this should be mandatory for all BBC presenters today ;) 

That is just brilliant. I may just about be old enough to have watched that as a kid but I don't remember it. 

Just a brilliant illustration of how the world has changed. 

Just imagine a BBC executive being sold that now? Get a presenter to shin up a ton of ladders lashed to the side of nelson's column. No helmet, no harness. 

Have a bit of string tied round your waist whilst you are lowered on a bit of hemp rope attached to a decrepit garden swing. 

Hilarious. I wonder what year was the last time those ladders were lashed to the side of the column? 

I'm mainly amazed they are aluminium and not wooden ladders. 

I assume they just get a giant cherry picker now. 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 20:04, Chindie said:

This old Fred Dibnah documentary clip is worse. 

Yeah just climb an overhang a couple of hundred feet up with nothing but some ladders strapped to each other.

Nuts.

How do they even get the ladders up there? You must have to rely on a couple of lashing points as you climb above them to fix the next one. Mental. 

And I can't even begin to understand the overhang and fixing that. 

What a stunning chimney. Anyone know where that is? Probably knocked down now.  Imagine anyone now spending the kind of cash in a probably no mark northern town to make a chimney as ornate as that! 

I met Fred Dibnah who was a thoroughly nice fellow.  I was deputy chairman of my professional association when he was guest speaker.  He turned up in his overalls at a black tie dinner. He started OK but got way too technical and then lost the mainly drunken room. 

My boss who was a hugely flamboyant cockney barrow boy made good started waving his napkin in the air shouting "we surrender Fred" which caused him to finish early. This caused some controversy, got into the trade press. 

The following year when I was chairman, the committee invited my boss to be the main speaker with the remit "If you think it's so easy, you have a go" whilst quietly thinking he would be very good. 

This is the absolute truth.  On the day before the dinner Fred Dinnah died.  My boss came up to me and said it had ruined his opening which was going to be:

"Have you heard Fred Dinnah has died? Apparently he was run over by his own Traction Engine. His wife says he was chuffed to bits" 

He did it anyway,  brought the house down. 

He also destroyed me in his speech.  The whole thing was a bad idea. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Not aimed at you @sidcow just a general comment, in the general chat thread, but this is off (though I get what you mean). Here's why. There are loads of Northern towns with some amazing buildings and wotnot, like the tower in Blackburn . They were mostly built long ago, when the towns were not considered by anyone as "no mark towns", but were centres of enterprise and industry and endeavour and all that good stuff. Full of pride and respected and known across large parts of the world. Without getting political, that situation changed since the 70s, when decisions were made to start centralising control towards that London, towards "services" instead of industry and has only worsened since.

It's true, I think, that in very recent years larger cities have managed to (and been helped to) change their own fortunes - I mean look at all the rebuilding in Brum, Manchester, Leeds... That needs to be further spread to these "no mark" towns. Give places freedom and help with resources and the locals are every bit as keen to do impressive things as were the Victorians and those who followed them.

That's my point really. You wouldn't get anything built which is beyond functional in a commercial building today in probably any town outside London. 

I totally agree, the reason such an ornate chimney is there is because Darwen would have been an industrial powerhouse with huge amounts of money sloshing around (admittedly amongst very few people) that such a thing could be built. 

Some of the new offices going up in Birmingham are quite high spec right now but only London would have some truly frivolous money thrown at a building these days, with some small notable exceptions. 

• Like 1

Â