Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The loan excited me. I just couldn't see why we signed him permanently. Stuck with him on high wages now, the Gerrard legacy. Hopefully a new manager can get something out of him

I'd completely forgotten about the fact hes permanent. Deary me.

Complete flop and it's pretty sad. If Gerrard was his only hope of finding form then this guy really has no hope. 

Though, I don't think he should be playing out on the left. Should be in the middle playing behind a striker. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

4 year contract is looking insane.

I called this when we looked at signing him after getting Digne. The money those two are on, at their age, was crazy business. It was reminiscent of the crazy days at the end of Lerner's reign when we blew huge money on average players and got stuck with them. We need to be smarter than that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, May-Z said:

He was incredible when he first came. What the hell has happened?!

I don't think he's lazy or downed tools, is it something to do with the players around him/the system?

The manager. I still have hope a change will do him as much good as anyone. I’ve worked for mates before who couldn’t do their job - when they left, I was sad to see them go but I got better at what I was doing.

Edit: this is very much optimism in this case I admit! He may just be done… but his arrival suggested he still had something about him before we ground it out…

Edited by Adam2003

I think the problems with Coutinho are two-fold: 1. Mental and 2. Positional.

1. I think he's mentally weak in terms of his own confidence levels.  When he was his best at the Dippers, he was in a team that won most of the time, surrounded by other productive attackers.  He had no pressure to perform so he was relaxed and produced magical moments.  But when he's in a situation where his team is not performing and is low on confidence, he himself is affected by it.  Gerrard has repeatedly said that he needs to feel "loved" and I'm sure he is, yet that seems to have had little-to-no effect on his performances.  He looks sad to be honest. 

2. It's well-documented that his struggles at Barcelona started almost immediately because he was not ever going to be playing as a central player while they had Messi (and Iniesta).  Barcelona bought a number 10 and tried to turn him into a left-sided attacker.  His best years were as a number 10 and his best season since leaving the Dippers was when he played in that role for a season on loan at Bayern.  If he is ever going to recapture his old form he needs to be given a number 10 role.  However with the weakness of the current Villa midfield we cannot afford to play with a number 10, hence why he's played on the left.  

Do I feel sorry for him?  No.  But I do feel he is utterly wasted in his current role.  Unless there is a dramatic change to our system of play and personnel, we will never see the player he could be.....

6 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Ok so I was wrong..he's had what 3 good games?

We've made a huge mistake here. Did he get a major injury after leaving Liverpool or something? This isn't the player I remember. He is actually shit.

Serious knee injury before we signed him.

I'm actually interested to see him under a competent manager. He can still be dangerous in the right setup.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Serious knee injury before we signed him.

I'm actually interested to see him under a competent manager. He can still be dangerous in the right setup.

Yes a failing team with poisonous culture (after things were so good too, criminal) is not the best way to get the best out of him. 

6 hours ago, May-Z said:

He was incredible when he first came. What the hell has happened?!

I don't think he's lazy or downed tools, is it something to do with the players around him/the system?

Very much a confidence player. He didn’t really function at Barcelona or Bayern because he was under pressure there. When he first came here, he didn’t feel pressure at first but it’s there again now. I doubt he’ll spend 4 years here, maybe he will just quit.

Â