Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s inconsistent, but nobody can tell me he isn’t our most talented footballer. Honestly, he’s head and shoulders above anything else in our squad in terms of genuine footballing ability. He’s a joy to watch.

Easily the best player in the squad. Must be pretty difficult for him at times. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

In the post-match Gerrard said one of the reasons he brought Phil in was to show the likes of JJ what an elite player looks like in training and on the pitch, and what he should aspire to be. I think that's a super interesting and overlooked point many wilfully ignore.

Sounds like a way of not having to admit PC hasn’t reached the level of performance he/we hoped for.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Didn't create a chance as usual and wasn't getting into any threatening positions.

Looks nice pissing about with the ball I suppose on the touchline.

Well except the lovely run and shot just over and the header at the back post which nearly went in resulted in a corner which we scored from.

In a game of very chances, our two best ones came from his play.

• Like 2

Been saying it since way back when, when it was us, or Liverpool. The guy's incredible. 

And since we had another chance at getting him in the team, I've been ecstatic and glad that we have been able to.

Those who were calling him a flop during his time not living up to the standards many perceived he should have, and who didn't want him here, I hope you can put that aside and support Coutinho. 

As I've been saying, a player to build around post-Grealish.

• Confused 1

@Zatman many were vocal he wasn't wanted or needed. Citing disappointment with his efforts at Barcelona and Munich.

We were in for him in 2010-11, and since then, I've known he was always going to be a player above and beyond average.

Since Grealish has left, we will need a player that can be relied upon to win us games, we may have a few, but Coutinho is easily best equipped for that at present. 

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

@Zatman many were vocal he wasn't wanted or needed. Citing disappointment with his efforts at Barcelona and Munich.

We were in for him in 2010-11, and since then, I've known he was always going to be a player above and beyond average.

Since Grealish has left, we will need a player that can be relied upon to win us games, we may have a few, but Coutinho is easily best equipped for that at present. 

He wasnt needed and in reality has shown very little since he has been here. Brazil have dropped him from the national team and he is probably our 3rd best attacking option after Buendia and Bailey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He wasnt needed and in reality has shown very little since he has been here. Brazil have dropped him from the national team and he is probably our 3rd best attacking option after Buendia and Bailey

I take it you're going to decline the invitation to renege on your stance then.

Thats fine, I wasn't asking us to look to what's done, just support Phil when he comes good, if he does.

I agree he's not there yet

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I take it you're going to decline the invitation to renege on your stance then.

Thats fine, I wasn't asking us to look to what's done, just support Phil when he comes good, if he does.

I agree he's not there yet

He is 30 years old and his last good season was in 2018

Of course will support him but he has shown absolutely nothing to say he will come good

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He is 30 years old and his last good season was in 2018

Of course will support him but he has shown absolutely nothing to say he will come good

Okay, agree to disagree. 

That pass outside of the boot to Ollie first half against Southampton is just one instance.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Okay, agree to disagree. 

That pass outside of the boot to Ollie first half against Southampton is just one instance.

Thats just one thing in about 8 games this season. He hasn't dominated a game and is nothing compared to what Grealish was doing here

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats just one thing in about 8 games this season. He hasn't dominated a game and is nothing compared to what Grealish was doing here

I see it every time he takes the pitch but I don't really care for pointing out the one percenters if they aren't already acknowledged, as it's not like every one of those moments is a game changer I'm making out Coutinho to be.

Lazy posts from me, but it's long passed bedtime tonight. 

The difference between Phil and Buendia,  for me, is in the big games Emi seems to go missing, even against a tired Southampton he seemed to get too easily knocked off the ball. They both have been far too inconsistent, but when one or the other does decide to turn up, it's Phil that gives us that bit more edge. 

When he's on it, he really is a pleasure to watch. 

I think the best advice for fans, is never look at highlight reels of new signings because it raises expectations ridiculously.

The other thing is that just because a player has worn a Barcelona shirt doesn't mean he was brilliant while wearing it.

When it comes to midfield players, their passing can only be as effective as the movement in front of them; I can remember a few England games when Beckham was popping some tremendous passes to the forwards, but the forwards in question cocked-up every time they got it.

I wouldn't say I haven't been disappoited with Coutinho, but I definitely think he is the pick of those in the squad with attacking intent.

I mean, if he played like Ray Wilkins he would never give the ball away.

Â