Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

2 hours ago, FLVillan said:

I think the problems with Coutinho are two-fold: 1. Mental and 2. Positional.

1. I think he's mentally weak in terms of his own confidence levels.  When he was his best at the Dippers, he was in a team that won most of the time, surrounded by other productive attackers.  He had no pressure to perform so he was relaxed and produced magical moments.  But when he's in a situation where his team is not performing and is low on confidence, he himself is affected by it.  Gerrard has repeatedly said that he needs to feel "loved" and I'm sure he is, yet that seems to have had little-to-no effect on his performances.  He looks sad to be honest. 

2. It's well-documented that his struggles at Barcelona started almost immediately because he was not ever going to be playing as a central player while they had Messi (and Iniesta).  Barcelona bought a number 10 and tried to turn him into a left-sided attacker.  His best years were as a number 10 and his best season since leaving the Dippers was when he played in that role for a season on loan at Bayern.  If he is ever going to recapture his old form he needs to be given a number 10 role.  However with the weakness of the current Villa midfield we cannot afford to play with a number 10, hence why he's played on the left.  

Do I feel sorry for him?  No.  But I do feel he is utterly wasted in his current role.  Unless there is a dramatic change to our system of play and personnel, we will never see the player he could be.....

I agree totally - however I honestly do not feel this should be at the expense of Buendia who is still on an upward trajectory in his career, whilst unfortunately Coutinho no longer is and should not be taking minutes off Emi imo 

That evening when Purslow could hardly keep his dick in his trousers when they announced the Coutinho signing at the end of season awards was the ultimate fan boy star f****g moment , and the biggest mistake this club has made in recent memory. 

His performances had dropped off hugely yet someone made the decision to drop  £50 million on wages and a fee plus probably another 5 million on agent fees. 

This is all on them and Lange.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, parisvilla said:

Thought this Carragher quote was very interesting/worrying...

"He looks like a 5 a side player. The pitch is too big for him. The game is too quick, the other players too powerful."

Very accurate statement by him too.

He doesn't suit a narrow system, spread the players across the pitch an he gets more space and time on the ball.

3 hours ago, parisvilla said:

"He looks like a 5 a side player. The pitch is too big for him. The game is too quick, the other players too powerful."

He failed to point out that countinho has absolutely no space to play in because we play 3 central midfielders and two number 10's. He spent the night dancing around the fact that slippy's formation and 'tactic' make absolutely no sense. He mentioned the width has to come from the full backs but we don't play wing backs, it's a flat back 4 so it's not possible for the full backs to cover that much ground. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Very accurate statement by him too.

He doesn't suit a narrow system, spread the players across the pitch an he gets more space and time on the ball.

I think the point is that he is physically unable to compete in this league now. The jig is up.

He has lovely little touches but when he drops the shoulder and the defender buys it, he doesn't ahve the athleticism to get past the man, or the man catches him back up. It's kind of an NFL term but if you can't get separation from defenders you won't do any damage. 

He's like an ex-pro playing Socceraid. He's done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

That evening when Purslow could hardly keep his dick in his trousers when they announced the Coutinho signing at the end of season awards was the ultimate fan boy star f****g moment , and the biggest mistake this club has made in recent memory. 

His performances had dropped off hugely yet someone made the decision to drop  £50 million on wages and a fee plus probably another 5 million on agent fees. 

This is all on them and Lange.  

Now ive heard it all the CEO gets criticised for being excited about announcing a signing which on paper looked a real coup for a club like ours.

Should have just been miserable git then and just left it for the OS then to keep you happy.

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Now ive heard it all the CEO gets criticised for being excited about announcing a signing which on paper looked a real coup for a club like ours.

Should have just been miserable git then and just left it for the OS then to keep you happy.

It was an ego moment from Purslow as usual

It wasnt a coup and never was a coup. Barcelona happily took about 15 million hit when broke

• Like 1

He's been crap. but so has everyone under this shit manager.

Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ramsey should be a pretty formidable attack. But they all look crap.

That's not to absolve Coutinho of blame. But I still think there's hope we can get him remotely back to form if we had a good manager

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's been crap. but so has everyone under this shit manager.

Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ramsey should be a pretty formidable attack. But they all look crap.

That's not to absolve Coutinho of blame. But I still think there's hope we can get him remotely back to form if we had a good manager

Don’t think Emi can be included in this list tbh - he is the one little chink of light for me and should be the first name on the team sheet and go from there 

3 hours ago, parisvilla said:

It’s is what it looks like though 😐

I’ve being trying to ignore it but I can’t yet again the Villa have bought a great player at the wrong stage of their career.

13 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Don’t think Emi can be included in this list tbh - he is the one little chink of light for me and should be the first name on the team sheet and go from there 

I love Emi, but he definitely can.

He was crap last night. But it's because he had to play 3 different positions, and the 10 minutes he got to play his actual position, he looked good

Which is entirely the point. if he was consistently played in his correct position he'd be good. But he's in and out of the team in all sorts of positions so he isn't looking very good

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was an ego moment from Purslow as usual

It wasnt a coup and never was a coup. Barcelona happily took about 15 million hit when broke

It was a coup. Countinho a once upon a time 100m player signing for a average villa side permanently it was a coup on paper.

Its just like stevo said no one has really shined under gerrard. Coutinho under a manager like poch i bet we see a completely different player

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

It was a coup. Countinho a once upon a time 100m player signing for a average villa side permanently it was a coup on paper.

Its just like stevo said no one has really shined under gerrard. Coutinho under a manager like poch i bet we see a completely different player

but he has worked under Hansi Flick, Tite, Koeman and Valverde and has not done anything since that transfer

He was a 100m player 5 seasons ago, the same season we were playing Scott Hogan in attack. Football moves on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

but he has worked under Hansi Flick, Tite, Koeman and Valverde and has not done anything since that transfer

He was a 100m player 5 seasons ago, the same season we were playing Scott Hogan in attack. Football moves on

To be fair though are any of those top managers? 

The move to barcelona ruined his career no question

Â