Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but he has worked under Hansi Flick, Tite, Koeman and Valverde and has not done anything since that transfer

He was a 100m player 5 seasons ago, the same season we were playing Scott Hogan in attack. Football moves on

Was pretty damned good under Flick to be fair. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To be fair though are any of those top managers? 

The move to barcelona ruined his career no question

Yes Hansi Flick is a Champions League winner and one of the best in the world. Tite has won lots of trophies and Valverde is a competent manager

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Was pretty damned good under Flick to be fair. 

He didnt play him every game though and used him as an impact sub. He made just 20 starts at Bayern

He could be an impact sub but that isnt going to happen as we cant really afford such a luxury

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He didnt play him every game though and used him as an impact sub. He made just 20 starts at Bayern

He could be an impact sub but that isnt going to happen as we cant really afford such a luxury

Still won the champions league, played in the final and had a very healthy goals/assists return for the mins played. 

But I take your original point, he's showing he's a shadow of the Liverpool player we once saw at the moment. 

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

He failed to point out that countinho has absolutely no space to play in because we play 3 central midfielders and two number 10's. He spent the night dancing around the fact that slippy's formation and 'tactic' make absolutely no sense. He mentioned the width has to come from the full backs but we don't play wing backs, it's a flat back 4 so it's not possible for the full backs to cover that much ground. 

We haven’t played 2 10s all season though, and he’s still been rubbish. Gerrard is to blame for some of it, but Coutinho needs to have at look at himself as well. He showed glimpses last season of how good he can be, I fully hoped he’d take pre season to the max (like others have done,) and really get himself back into his old shape. Unfortunately, all summer it seemed he was on holiday and hasn’t put the hard hrs in. I think his stint at Barcelona has really lost his thirst for the game.

The thing is, he doesn't look like he's having fun or enjoying himself.  He seems frustrated at some of the shite around him.

He hasn't put in dazzling displays, but you don't lose touch and the football brain he has if you lose a yard of pace.  He just seems tense and uptight.  It's never going to be a success if he isn't enjoying it.

Same goes for lots of our players, like McGinn and Ollie.. They're focusing so hard on not getting the basics wrong, they're **** up what makes them decent players.  

We need someone to bring the players morale back and I don't see that from Gerrard.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, parisvilla said:

Thought this Carragher quote was very interesting/worrying...

"He looks like a 5 a side player. The pitch is too big for him. The game is too quick, the other players too powerful."

It's true. As someone said, he doesn't have the athleticism to get proper separation from players anymore. At Liverpool, how many times have we seen him cut inside from the left and lash the ball top bins? How many times have we seen him attempt to do this here and actually even get a shot off? It's very rare. Ironically the one time he did get off a proper shot and score was against City, 2 seconds after the whistle had gone and the defenders stopped playing. Pretty much sums up his decline.

He can still be useful though. Those 5 a side skills can come in handy in a team that plays quick 1 touch football. Kind of like when he first came here and we still hadn't devolved into this pragmatic garbage. 

I don't think he's a good signing.

That being said, is anyone on the team really benefitting from the system?

The players are all too close together and too far apart. Too many players standing on the same level (horizontal and vertical) to be useful. At his peak, he had runners all around, stretching the pitch vertically and horizontally that afforded Coutinho some space to perform some of that "magic" Gerrard is desperately hoping to re-create.

But Gerrard and Villa have been found out. The transitions slow, the touches ponderous. By the time Coutinho looks up to lash the ball, there's about 17 players (opponents and Villa) standing in between him and the goal.

I would be dejected too.

Edited by DJBOB

5 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

It’s is what it looks like though 😐

I’ve being trying to ignore it but I can’t yet again the Villa have bought a great player at the wrong stage of their career.

He's for sure a formerly great player. Barca probably couldn't believe they'd got someone to take him off them permanently.

On 11/10/2022 at 15:49, Zatman said:

He was a 100m player 5 seasons ago, 

He was never a £100m player, he was just a panic buy by Barcelona after they lost neymar. Even at his best he was never more than a decent player. He's similar to James Rodriguez, never good enough for the highest level. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He was never a £100m player, he was just a panic buy by Barcelona after they lost neymar. Even at his best he was never more than a decent player. He's similar to James Rodriguez, never good enough for the highest level. 

That's unfair, I think he was genuinely world class at Liverpool. Maybe not 140m or Neymar level, but he was better than the likes of Griezmann and Dembele who went for similar fees around that time. In terms of pure #10's at the time, he and Eriksen were the 2 best and Eriksen was being touted for a move to Madrid for a similar fee at that time.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

he was genuinely world class at Liverpool. Maybe not 140m or Neymar level, but he was better than the likes of Griezmann and Dembele who went for similar fees around that time.

Not for me, even at the time he left there weren't too many complaints from Liverpool fans. Graeme Souness was happy to see him go, especially for that price.

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Not for me, even at the time he left there weren't too many complaints from Liverpool fans. Graeme Souness was happy to see him go, especially for that price.

So he was even better than I remember!

Â