Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

The pleasing thing is he tries and works hard. His quality is there still, it's just not as consistent. He's a bit too weak in duels but there's no doubt if you give him space there isn't a player other than maybe Buendia you'd want on the ball. 

Yeah all those chances he creates...

He does nothing.

Not sure what people are impressed by.

Credit to him for making that run that won us the corner from which he scored.

That's about it. A few fancy flicks that led to nothing. Ran into defenders a couple of times.

End product isn't there. Doesn't offer an out ball. Isn't impactful in keeping possession. What does he actually do?

10 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Not sure what people are impressed by.

Credit to him for making that run that won us the corner from which he scored.

That's about it. A few fancy flicks that led to nothing. Ran into defenders a couple of times.

End product isn't there. Doesn't offer an out ball. Isn't impactful in keeping possession. What does he actually do?

I thought he put a cracking cross in that led to Watkins forcing initial save. It was first cross all night that cleared first man. 

It’s nowhere near vintage Coutinho but I thought he was the best of a bad bunch yesterday. 

He was only attacking player trying to get something ging and he was the reason we scored. He got the header at back post which won the corner which he played short in a one two and put in a great ball for Ollie who got a good header on it and then Ramsey got rebound. 

Bailey and Watkins weren't going to create anything. Digne did create a chance down left with interplay with Coutinho. That's it for the game really.

Good performance from Coutinho yesterday especially relative to the rest of the team. Hopefully he builds on this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He was only attacking player trying to get something ging and he was the reason we scored. He got the header at back post which won the corner which he played short in a one two and put in a great ball for Ollie who got a good header on it and then Ramsey got rebound. 

Bailey and Watkins weren't going to create anything. Digne did create a chance down left with interplay with Coutinho. That's it for the game really.

Good performance from Coutinho yesterday especially relative to the rest of the team. Hopefully he builds on this. 

I wish people would focus on these points more rather than turning him into a scapegoat for Gerrard's tactical shortcomings. His quality is always there - I think it's been a question of fitness and confidence for him - and he can build on this performance absolutely.

• Like 1

In the post-match Gerrard said one of the reasons he brought Phil in was to show the likes of JJ what an elite player looks like in training and on the pitch, and what he should aspire to be. I think that's a super interesting and overlooked point many wilfully ignore.

• Like 2

Â