Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, dubliner said:

He's going to come good again as soon as we have a proper manager.

At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

The "system" we're playing at the moment is robbing him of a chance to show his worth

He’s too good of a player at his best not to surely? If we can get a manager to get the best out of him, he could be fantastic again

• Like 1

Fact is we looked much better today without him.

If our forwards weren't such utter dicks we would almost certainly have gone in at half time ahead against Chelsea today. 

We did indeed look better without him, however he did actually look sharp when he came on IMO. He kept the ball well in very tight areas.

It's a tough one, his mobility is poor, but if he'd have been in one of those dangerous situations we created first half, you'd back him more than anyone to have the composure to finish/make the crucial pass or cutback.

Edited by Tom13

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Since McGrath our record of buying high profile but past it players hasn't often worked.  Ginola, Pires, Terry etc.

I would say Terry worked, he brought leadership and quality to our team. Ultimately the season was a failure due to poor management and non existent attacking tactics, but he improved us when he came and weakened us when he left.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Looking back on page 1 I did call it would be a disaster move

And I disagreed with you,  it’s been an uninspiring signing only positive is he doesn’t seem like a bad egg. It would be interesting to see how he performed under a real Coach though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

And I disagreed with you,  it’s been an uninspiring signing only positive is he doesn’t seem like a bad egg. It would be interesting to see how he performed under a real Coach though.

I think he is a good guy and probably likes it at Villa but physically he seems finished

• Like 2

I think he has been hung out to dry playing him as a wide forward, he never was fast, and certainly isn't now, his work rate is low and he looks tired everytime he makes a longer run, he is getting very exposed as a wide forward.

He still has a lot of football in him and has still both top class technique and passing ability. It would be perfect for him to play as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 (would also be perfect for most of our other players bar McGinn).

I wonder if we even could do like Man U and Ten Hag has done with Eriksen, play him as one of the two holding midfielders to improve the passing and possession. Against the mid table and lower table teams we could play with Coutinho and Luiz there and boss the game with their passing, against the top 6 we could have big Donk and and Nakamba there to destroy the game, even replacing the no 10 with a midfielder like Luiz to swamp the midfield fully. 

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think he has been hung out to dry playing him as a wide forward, he never was fast, and certainly isn't now, his work rate is low and he looks tired everytime he makes a longer run, he is getting very exposed as a wide forward.

4 years ago by Barcelona... And that's the most annoying thing about it, he failed at barca because they stuck him out there and he wasn't good enough there, we've done exactly the same

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

4 years ago by Barcelona... And that's the most annoying thing about it, he failed at barca because they stuck him out there and he wasn't good enough there, we've done exactly the same

Yes, and an interesting thing is that when Barca bought him, and how they justified his big price tag, was that he would be the long term replacement for Iniesta, who played centrally and further down the pitch. That's where I'd like to see us try to play him, or as a no 10.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Yes, and an interesting thing is that when Barca bought him, and how they justified his big price tag, was that he would be the long term replacement for Iniesta, who played centrally and further down the pitch. That's where I'd like to see us try to play him, or as a no 10.

That would certainly be very interesting. Coutinho ahead of Kamara and Luiz.

Bailey would have to be part of any front three for his pace, Ings CF, and then Buendia and Ramsey fighting for the other spot. Ramsey will eventually be a CM I'm sure but he does have potential to play AM IMO.

I'd love to see this tried anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He still has a lot of football in him and has still both top class technique and passing ability. It would be perfect for him to play as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 (would also be perfect for most of our other players bar McGinn).

I wonder if we even could do like Man U and Ten Hag has done with Eriksen, play him as one of the two holding midfielders to improve the passing and possession. Against the mid table and lower table teams we could play with Coutinho and Luiz there and boss the game with their passing, against the top 6 we could have big Donk and and Nakamba there to destroy the game, even replacing the no 10 with a midfielder like Luiz to swamp the midfield fully. 

This is something I don’t think has been discussed. 

Coutinho needs to be on the ball as much as possible. Why not try him in a midfield three with Luiz and Kamara behind him? That means you can then have pace and ball carrying ability out wide with Bailey and Ramsey. 

Coutinho is comfortably our most gifted footballer. He’s head and shoulders above anyone else even if he does lack consistency. Unfortunately, we’re now resorting to playing a brand of football where the result means a lot more than trying to progress and work on a system. He’ll be a casualty of that. 

A proper manager gets the best out of Coutinho. 

• Like 2

According to slippy G, he just needs a bit of luck. - 

Gerrard on Philippe Coutinho: "We signed Phil, you could see from afar he wasn't happy at Barcelona. The age he's at and the talent he's got, I have full confidence in him. The stats suggest he's not at his best, but we will give him evety bit of support he needs.

"He's pushing and trying. Like the team, he might just need some luck. But you don't lose talent and class. He blew the roof off Villa Patk [when he arrived]. It is still there, my opinion on him won't change ever."

30 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

According to slippy G, he just needs a bit of luck. - 

Gerrard on Philippe Coutinho: "We signed Phil, you could see from afar he wasn't happy at Barcelona. The age he's at and the talent he's got, I have full confidence in him. The stats suggest he's not at his best, but we will give him evety bit of support he needs.

"He's pushing and trying. Like the team, he might just need some luck. But you don't lose talent and class. He blew the roof off Villa Patk [when he arrived]. It is still there, my opinion on him won't change ever."

All of his tactics seem to involve luck and nothing else

• Haha 1

Â