Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I see people continual mention he looks like an expensive luxury player. Is £17 million really that expensive? Seems very mild in the grand scheme of modern day footie transfers. 

His wages and giving a 4 year deal to a 30 year old

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

And the fact that he took a massive pay cut. His wages aren’t even that high given the current model of football. People just want to hold it against it because he’s a Gerrard signing. 

4 year contract on 200k a week.........£42m + £17m = £60m with no sell on value and let's face facts , he has maybe another 2 seasona left at this level, if he improves. 

To be honest, I wasn’t that interested on him coming (I’m not usually with getting experienced players anyway, I like the other approach). Although usually with defenders and goalkeepers it works much better. 
I was worried getting Coutinho and Digne especially the latter as he wasn’t a loan. After some spells from Coutinho I’ve been ok with getting him as he shown glimpses here and there. Also I was a bit worried that someone else takes him and we regret not getting him. But I really think we should go back to our way of things. Carlos for example is ok as a defender you’d expect more from him. Kamara we got him in the right time. So I’m still hopeful that we’re sticking with our way. But we thought some SG signings might leapfrog. We got it wrong. 
Now we’re stuck with Phil, how shall we utilize him? For me as he’s here he can be an impact sub. We need Buendia because of his Physical presence, Bailey for pace. 

To be honest, two wasted years is too much, but we’ve seen much worse under Lerner and Xia. Hopefully we can get it right again soon.

10 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I see people continual mention he looks like an expensive luxury player. Is £17 million really that expensive? Seems very mild in the grand scheme of modern day footie transfers. 

£140k/week is a club record for us I'd imagine.

I think signing Coutinho was a good move. A high profile name, good value in today's market, and a fairly successful loan spell. 

What has happened since is so confusing. 

He looks worse than Carlos Gil.

My theory is that he needs to start off the left similar to Grealish, rather than a central No 10, and needs support from having good ball players around him.

At the moment, he his trying one-twos about with McGinn, Bailey, and Watkins. That is never going to create him any space to work as they move the ball too slowly, or do not have the skill.

Ramsey and Buendia are better fits for him, as is Luiz higher up, and probably Sanson too.

I don't understand why we haven't tried to get more out of him instead of just trying the same things over and over....but that could be said for a lot of Gerrard's decisions.

58 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I think signing Coutinho was a good move. A high profile name, good value in today's market, and a fairly successful loan spell. 

What has happened since is so confusing. 

He looks worse than Carlos Gil.

My theory is that he needs to start off the left similar to Grealish, rather than a central No 10, and needs support from having good ball players around him.

At the moment, he his trying one-twos about with McGinn, Bailey, and Watkins. That is never going to create him any space to work as they move the ball too slowly, or do not have the skill.

Ramsey and Buendia are better fits for him, as is Luiz higher up, and probably Sanson too.

I don't understand why we haven't tried to get more out of him instead of just trying the same things over and over....but that could be said for a lot of Gerrard's decisions.

His first few games he seemed to work very well with Ramsey.

Like everything else that has gone under Gerrard. He is just not getting the best out of his players.

16 hours ago, tinker said:

4 year contract on 200k a week.........£42m + £17m = £60m with no sell on value and let's face facts , he has maybe another 2 seasona left at this level, if he improves. 

Wasn’t it very publicly £125k per week? (Still a ton of money mind)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tinker said:

125k per week would be £26m + £17m fee = £43m. Not cheap but not as bad as £60m.

Â