January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I remember a poster wrote “Omar isn’t Cummings” when it was revealed that we wouldn’t be signing him after his trial. I laughed out loud whilst sat on the loo at work. Must have been about 11 years ago.. jeeez. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was on trial from the MLS, we never signed him. Think it was during McLeish or Lambert era

Think it was actually Houllier and we couldn't get a work permit for him, think it was same window we got in Darren Bent so he wouldn't have been needed in any case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WHY said:

Who’s Omar Cummings, never heard of him. I like to think I know all things about our great club. I’m hoping it’s a mistake, otherwise I will need to question myself about how much I actually know 😊

There were many The Wire memes posted here January '11.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zenda said:

Tom Carroll, Omar Cummings, Borja Baston, Grant Holt...**** me old boots. I'll take questionable Saudi owners if it means never having to fish in that loan-pool ever again. 

Modern football in a nut shell. Do you work for the PL?

• Haha 1

I know he had a stinker last year and the dreaded achilles injury a few years back but I still think Loftus Cheek is so talented.

Plays at his own pace.m Physical presence. This is the type of player we need. He's cool. He's calm.

He's talented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I know he had a stinker last year and the dreaded achilles injury a few years back but I still think Loftus Cheek is so talented.

Plays at his own pace.m Physical presence. This is the type of player we need. He's cool. He's calm.

He's talented.

If he is one of 2 midfield signings then absolutely fine. Otherwise, knowing our luck, he will snap his achilles putting the pen down after signing the loan paperwork. 

During the summer window, I did wonder whether the owners decided not to over invest because they were uncertain of Dean. They wanted him to prove himself before parting with anymore money, enabling funds in future windows for a new manager should Dean fail. That could be crucial to not only attracting a new manager but also giving him the tools to improve our team. I still think that we have enough good players but we are totally unbalanced. A couple of carefully selected midfielders will transform the team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He's talented.

He’s getting game time for Chelsea 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Hopefully we back whoever the new manager is in January. A new DM is obviously a must, but we could also do with A LB. 

I’ve got a feeling that we held back some of the summer kitty for January with one eye on possibly changing the manager. 

January is a difficult time to recruit in, but I feel we need to upgrade quite a few players. If we now are serious about aiming for European places, we need players who aspire to be in the top of the PL, not players who are happy to take the club into the PL and stay there. Players like Nakamba, AEG, Hause and Davis need to be replaces with top quality PL players. Most of all we need two new midfielders, a CB, a left back and a back up keeper. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

Not spending the Grealish money during the summer seems pretty smart right now* gives the new manager a bit of leeway for his own signings, but imho already we have a competitive squad which is why this manager change seems different than our usual. 

* yeah I thought we were going to buy Beundia and Bailey and a new forward anyway. Grealish sale may have allowed us to buy a top striker like Ings instead of an up and comer but I reckon we were in for one regardless.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i wonder if we will finally sort our midfield out now.

I think so. If the new manager doesn't have buying a DM in January as his top target I would be surprised and a little perplexed.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Julian Alvarez scored 4 goals for River Plate tonight. One that got away this one. He has 15 goals and 6 assists in 16 league games so far.

Then again I guess we could try and get Gallardo as new manager and have him bring Alvarez as first signing in January...

• Like 3