January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I really hope our new transfer strategy is "only buy players from Rangers or Plops youth team"

With Newcastle’s financial clout I don’t think we’ll be able to stop Eddie Howe signing all of the Liverpool youngsters for £25m+ each.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So. Who do we want then? Can't imagine we don't sign a midfielder or even two (I do worry slightly about Chuks development as can imagine Gerrsrd wanting to change the midfield and then having both old and new midfield and therefore hampering development.)

CM

LB

CAM

CB

GK

Is my list, not all for Jan, the final two can wait till the summer. As they're backups. 

24 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Then why the **** didn't we spend the huge transfer budget in the summer rather than put in stupid £30m bids for Ward-Prowse and Smith-Rowe?

New manager might want say in how the money is spent. They weren't impressed with Smiths efforts over the last 12 months etc?

Just a guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

the highest paid manager thing means very little given how fast the market moves and smith being appointed whilst we were a mid table championship team

I agree and provided we stay in the PL, our next manager will then be our highest ever paid manager.

• Like 2

In terms of Gerrard going back for his former players, I would take Glen Kamara as a defensive midfielder and Ryan Kent for left wing, price dependent. No idea who I would go for as a left back, but somebody who can replicate Matty Cash's dynamism wouldn't go amiss. I really do like Matt Targett but the guy looks absolutely broken of late. 

We need to upgrade Targett, McGinn and Nakamba immediately. That means a proper first choice left back with pace, a mobile CDM who can read the game and distribute and a proper box to box central midfielder who can tie it all together.

By then he should have sorted out the mess of the front 3. Get a tune out of them etc. If not, we'll need to add another string-pulling attacking mid to the ranks.

• Like 1

I wonder if Gerrard will think about Curtis Jones in January? He’ll know him well I’m sure and what he can offer. I know he’s not the CDM we crave but I can see Gerrard being interested.

As regards to LB, I hope we’re still interested in Aaron Hickey as he sounds a real prospect. As an alternative, I know a Derby fan who is always banging on about Lee Buchanan being good. Could be one to watch. 

17 hours ago, Mazrim said:

New manager might want say in how the money is spent. They weren't impressed with Smiths efforts over the last 12 months etc?

Just a guess.

Also they would have surely known it was the wrong time/window to spend with clubs knowing we had the 100m Grealish money just in!!! (As was evident with the prices we were being quoted at the time) Personally i think they have played a blinder as all the fans of other clubs at work just love telling me how Gerrard will have no budget as we have spent the Grealish money on Ings & co! Erm nope we haven't.... Ings maybe yes but Buendia & Bailey i believe were bought in to compliment Grealish & add quality to other areas too? This for me has been half the problem this season, our left hand side is malfunctioning as Grealish used to carry the ball out using Targett as a foil but doing all the smart work which often resulted in a chance created etc. Without him there Targett has been shown up for the fullback that he actually is and the creation from the left has vanished as he hasn't got the quality to deliver a good cross nor the ability to beat a man & get a shot off.

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I wonder if Gerrard will think about Curtis Jones in January? He’ll know him well I’m sure and what he can offer. I know he’s not the CDM we crave but I can see Gerrard being interested.

As regards to LB, I hope we’re still interested in Aaron Hickey as he sounds a real prospect. As an alternative, I know a Derby fan who is always banging on about Lee Buchanan being good. Could be one to watch. 

Nothing on the Jones link specifically as we know we looked at him previously, but I desperately hope we don’t fall down the trap of chasing players who are the lazy journalist links just because the head coach knows them a bit. Every transfer window is going to be full of Liverpool youngster loan links, but I hope we are above that and simply go for the best players available, Jones or otherwise. Loan moves can **** off for the most part, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Nothing on the Jones link specifically as we know we looked at him previously, but I desperately hope we don’t fall down the trap of chasing players who are the lazy journalist links just because the head coach knows them a bit. Every transfer window is going to be full of Liverpool youngster loan links, but I hope we are above that and simply go for the best players available, Jones or otherwise. Loan moves can **** off for the most part, too.

Yep, I agree.  You just know he’ll be linked though along with many others. 

I felt they held back in the summer, I suspect now it wasn’t reluctance to spend but perhaps doubts about Smith.

Could be an interesting window, I think we need a back up keeper and a better LB. The top priority though is CM as I felt it should have been in the summer.

• Like 3