January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

38 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I felt they held back in the summer, I suspect now it wasn’t reluctance to spend but perhaps doubts about Smith.

Could be an interesting window, I think we need a back up keeper and a better LB. The top priority though is CM as I felt it should have been in the summer.

It strikes me also that he didn’t know how to use certain players brought in. I do think there’s been some long term planning regardless of manager come Jan. 

• Like 1

When I was reading the Rangers forum a few days back one of the reasons that they kept giving for why he wouldn't join us was the fact that he'd apparently said several times that in his managerial career he only ever wants to be at a club that is challenging at the very top, or words to that effect. Which makes me think we're going to be spending big in January or next summer.

Personally think we could do with 4 or 5 but realistically most of that will be left for the summer and probably rightly so, but getting a midfielder right ASAP is the main thing and it feels like everyone can see that. 

As much as this stewardship of the club has garnered praise - deservedly - I thought the pursuits of JWP and ESR in the summer were borderline amateurish, hopefully lessons were learned from that and there's no mucking about in January when it comes to signing a player in that area of the pitch.

Edited by Indigo

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

If they were unsure that he would be staying in the role it would have been quite sensible. 

Not giving the manager (and the team) the best possible resources to be successful is moronic.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, a m ole said:

IF they held back funds from Smith, that’s a **** dumb thing to do.

They are worth billions, technically they hold back funds every window unless they want to buy every single player in the PL. 

A new manager coming in will necessitate new signings to suit his philosophy / put their own stamp on the team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

They are worth billions, technically they hold back funds every window unless they want to buy every single player in the PL. 

A new manager coming in will necessitate new signings to suit his philosophy / put their own stamp on the team. 

We have a whole team of scouts and analysts and a director of football that identify targets and sign them. If we didn’t sign someone in the summer, JWP or similar for example just because we don’t want Smith to have too much, all we’ve succeeded in is setting him up for failure. We may as well have just sacked him in the summer. The idea is absolutely **** stupid. 

Edited by a m ole

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Personally think we could do with 4 or 5 but realistically most of that will be left for the summer and probably rightly so, but getting a midfielder right ASAP is the main thing and it feels like everyone can see that. 

As much as this stewardship of the club has garnered praise - deservedly - I thought the pursuits of JWP and ESR in the summer were borderline amateurish, hopefully lessons were learned from that and there's no mucking about in January when it comes to signing a player in that area of the pitch.

Don't understand your logic here? One was Southampton's best player and captain, and the other is part of Arsenal's family silver and now playing for England. If we'd got either it would've a huge statement of intent. Both were clearly unsettled with their contracts. Why not try and get them - we've clearly got the money. If it doesn't work out so be it - nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Not giving the manager (and the team) the best possible resources to be successful is moronic.

No club gives their manager the best possible resources to be successful. Clubs must make business decisions too. It would be moronic to spend every bit of available cash on one window without anticipating a possible downside. Some players may get seriously injured (Wes / Heaton), some make have personal reasons to leave football, the manager may leave (sacked or resign) and you need to have money available for the next transfer window to deal with these possibilities. 

Just now, El-Reacho said:

Don't understand your logic here? One was Southampton's best player and captain, and the other is part of Arsenal's family silver and now playing for England. If we'd got either it would've a huge statement of intent. Both were clearly unsettled with their contracts. Why not try and get them - we've clearly got the money. If it doesn't work out so be it - nothing ventured nothing gained.

More so the manner of the attempts to get them rather than the statement either would have been. Obviously either would have been an amazing signing in their own right, but specifically the reported offer of £25 million for Ward-Prowse was even being laughed at by fans on here it was so derisory. Never felt it had legs really despite it being a position that most deemed a priority to get a significant signing in.

No club gives their manager the best possible resources to be successful. Clubs must make business decisions too. It would be moronic to spend every bit of available cash on one window without anticipating a possible downside. Some players may get seriously injured (Wes / Heaton), some make have personal reasons to leave football, the manager may leave (sacked or resign) and you need to have money available for the next transfer window to deal with these possibilities. 

Yeah sure obviously, but your example was the club holding back funds for Smith because they'd lost faith in him and more or less expected him to fail and were saving the money for the next guy.

That would be both reckless and stupid. Guess it would fit the narrative that Purslow was looking to bring in Gerrard regardless and that Smith's days were numbered.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, a m ole said:

IF they held back funds from Smith, that’s a **** dumb thing to do.

Should have just fired him in the summer then. Why wait til a third of the season is gone and we hover just above relegation. 

When people repeat this rumor they make it sound as if it was some shrewd business move by Purslow and company.  When its actually quite dumb, really dumb. If we get relegated because Steven isn't able to turn it around, then what?  I'm sure Purslow will feel like a genius for holding back those funds in the summer. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

More so the manner of the attempts to get them rather than the statement either would have been. Obviously either would have been an amazing signing in their own right, but specifically the reported offer of £25 million for Ward-Prowse was even being laughed at by fans on here it was so derisory. Never felt it had legs really despite it being a position that most deemed a priority to get a significant signing in.

We don't know the inside story behind the offers for either player so I reckon it's a bit unfair to call their pursuits amateurish. It would've been the same approach that landed us Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Martinez, Watkins, Cash etc etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah sure obviously, but your example was the club holding back funds for Smith because they'd lost faith in him and more or less expected him to fail and were saving the money for the next guy.

That would be both reckless and stupid. Guess it would fit the narrative that Purslow was looking to bring in Gerrard regardless and that Smith's days were numbered.

He spent 95m in the summer. Yes, I have no doubt we could have spent more than that but we didn't. There must be a reason for that. And yes, it makes sense to plan for additional and not previously budgeted  transfer activity in Jan. That is just basic prudent business practice

• Like 1

He spent 95m in the summer. Yes, I have no doubt we could have spent more than that but we didn't. There must be a reason for that. And yes, it makes sense to plan for additional and not previously budgeted  transfer activity in Jan. That is just basic prudent business practice

I suspect that reason is that we didn't get any of our top targets and didn't want to spend a bunch of money on inferior players that we didn't really want. Now that I think was sensible-ish even thou it has hurt us in midfield and LB so far.

Gerrard will likely get more money that Smith would have gotten in January, that's part of the deal when getting a new manager. Doubt he would have signed unless he was promised funds, just like Conte would not have signed for Spurs. New managers almost always means more funds are made available.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

We don't know the inside story behind the offers for either player so I reckon it's a bit unfair to call their pursuits amateurish. It would've been the same approach that landed us Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Martinez, Watkins, Cash etc etc...

Of course, all we have to work off is the reports - granted from valid sources in some cases - so if they're was any embellishment then fair enough, but from the information we have to work with it appears as though Villa were just led down the river by the players' respective agents, and even were that not the case and they did want the move I'm not sure any of the touted figures would have been remotely near what was needed to get the job done. Was just an odd outlier to me given the need for a signing specifically in the mould of JWP, especially considering how well they were able to get the signings you mention over the line.