January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Julian Alvarez scored 4 goals for River Plate tonight. One that got away this one. He has 15 goals and 6 assists in 16 league games so far.

Then again I guess we could try and get Gallardo as new manager and have him bring Alvarez as first signing in January...

This would be the ticket. Martinez, Buendia, and Alvarez, with Gallardo as Coach....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If we went completely left field, he’d be my choice. The primary issue is that the one trophy he hasn’t won in Argentina is the league title, which he is currently on pace to achieve. Rumors are he wouldn’t leave before that happens, so the very earliest to get him in the door would be mid December when his contract is up. Unfortunately, that timeline would be awful as we don’t have any coaches capable of leading us in the interim. 

Btw: definitely wrong thread for this. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

12 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Not spending the Grealish money during the summer seems pretty smart right now* gives the new manager a bit of leeway for his own signings, but imho already we have a competitive squad which is why this manager change seems different than our usual. 

* yeah I thought we were going to buy Beundia and Bailey and a new forward anyway. Grealish sale may have allowed us to buy a top striker like Ings instead of an up and comer but I reckon we were in for one regardless.

Alternatively if we had bought a left winger and a CDM with the money we might be top half.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Julian Alvarez scored 4 goals for River Plate tonight. One that got away this one. He has 15 goals and 6 assists in 16 league games so far.

Then again I guess we could try and get Gallardo as new manager and have him bring Alvarez as first signing in January...

Now you’re talking!

12 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Alternatively if we had bought a left winger and a CDM with the money we might be top half.... 

Nothing is for certain. All DS runs without Grealish were bad regardless who we play or which league we’re in. Smith clearly didn’t know how to attack without Grealish. This yearvwith the squad we have, you still find us limited and clueless most of the time. A lot of goals came by set pieces.

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Maybe so but would you call Ashley Young a CM just because he played there the other day?

I honestly believe that pretty much anyone can play anywhere, I know that sounds silly, just different players fit different systems. It will be up to the new manager to find the right system

• Like 1

His most recent season and best performances have come from the right for Leverkusen. He also stated he preferred playing on that side.

Which makes it all the more daft we signed him and Buendia when they both prefer playing on the right - now one has to play out of position. 

We replaced Grealish with two right wingers, a striker and no central midfielders. Hence we are where we are in the table. Who’d have thought. 

• Like 1

Working on the assumption that Dean’s sacking was not a knee jerk reaction to the 5 game losing streak, and more to do with 2021 as a whole, do you think NSWE held back a bit with transfer funds in the summer with possible funds needed for a new manager for the January window?

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Working on the assumption that Dean’s sacking was not a knee jerk reaction to the 5 game losing streak, and more to do with 2021 as a whole, do you think NSWE held back a bit with transfer funds in the summer with possible funds needed for a new manager for the January window?

Poss yes, that would make sense and if true something we should be grateful for …