January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Something about it screams PSG to me

PSG are apparently looking at Joao Palhinha (Sporting) for that position. Now there is a player I would love at Villa. Won't happen of course, just like Kessie wont.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I simply cannot wait for the constant droning for the whole month of January about how it's such a hard time to buy players, etc etc.

Or the "Why don't we throw 50 million at a 'quality' DM?" posts every day.  haha

He's only just turned nineteen, scored three and assisted one in six appearances in the championship, and been linked to clubs better positioned than us. I haven't seen him play, but he's highly rated and has been for a while now coming through Fulham's academy, if he doesn't sign a contract there will be a lot of Prem clubs trying to sign him in January.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, useless said:

He's only just turned nineteen, scored three and assisted one in six appearances in the championship, and been linked to clubs better positioned than us. I haven't seen him play, but he's highly rated and has been for a while now coming through Fulham's academy, if he doesn't sign a contract there will be a lot of Prem clubs trying to sign him in January.

Yep he looks good but i think that youngsters should be the last thing we are looking at. We have some decent prospects to come through to fill squad places at worst and to smash the premier league to bits at best 😁. I think real experience and physically imposing players would compliment our squad. The ironic thing is that our youngsters are going to be imposing players in the majority. Many of them have one or more exceptional physical characteristics.  

I've not seen Carvalho play but from what I've read about him he's quite a different kind of player to any of our young academy players, he's more of an out and out No.10 type, that sometimes also plays as a second striker.

Hope we're back in for Boubacar Kamara and Rafinha Alcantara in January (assuming the Summer interest was real). The former will be in the last 6 months of his contract and has been turning down OM's offers, the latter 18 months and not getting the minutes he would at nearly any other club in the world, so shouldn't be incredibly expensive in terms of fee. I worry about our ability to attract better players if we're mired in the bottom half, though, and wages might be an issue.

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's so hard to find good players in January, but if we can, we should sign a quality DM.

I agree its hard, but some of the best buys for clubs in the top half of the league in the last decade have been January buys. 

Vidic and Fernandes for Utd. 

Van Dijk and Suarez for Liverpool. 

Ndidi for Leicester. 

Laporte and Dzeko for City. 

Can be some absolute winners out there. 

Just don't do an Andy Caroll...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Midfield has to be the priority for January. Plus a LB than can push Targett to either be better or be on the bench.

Many on here were under the impression during the summer that would happen the minute Ash Young rejoined us.

6 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I wouldn't spend another penny until the current shit show is stabilised.  

Agreed tbh. Get our house in order before splashing cash or we will just end up wasting it yet again. Pretty confident we won’t be relegated with the current squad. 

Onuachu was good at Midtjylland previously, did his time overlap with MacPhee's? Has also bossed it with Genk in the last couple of seasons in the absence of a certain Tanzanian great and we love a Belgium-based striker so I'm guessing all of that is where the link has come from rather than anything based in truth.

Or this is an extreme response to us now seemingly playing Pulis ball.

Edited by Indigo

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Onuachu was good at Midtjylland previously, did his time overlap with McPhee's? Has also bossed it with Genk in the last couple of seasons in the absence of a certain Tanzanian great and we love a Belgium-based strikers so I'm guessing all of that is where the link has come from rather than anything based in truth.

Or this is an extreme response to us now seemingly playing Pulis ball.

I don’t believe his time in Denmark would have overlapped with MacPhee, who would have been with Hearts at the time. Probably more the latter and our previous transfer activity in Belgium. 

• Like 1