January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

8 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I honestly believe that pretty much anyone can play anywhere, I know that sounds silly, just different players fit different systems. It will be up to the new manager to find the right system

Martinez in midfield, Jed Steer upfront?

Just pulling your leg!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Working on the assumption that Dean’s sacking was not a knee jerk reaction to the 5 game losing streak, and more to do with 2021 as a whole, do you think NSWE held back a bit with transfer funds in the summer with possible funds needed for a new manager for the January window?

Well if they did I wouldn’t be impressed.  Hinder your manager because you are undecided.  We needed a defensive midfielder at least and could’ve been the difference for example in the Wolves game.  That game destroyed a lot of confidence, if we had won that game after beating Everton and Man U, despite losing to Spurs we would’ve had three wins in four and who knows, with that confidence, how the last few games would’ve gone…confidence spreads plus our midfield wouldn’t have been so decimated last game.  You either back your current manager or sack him, if they did that I hope they never do that again with the next manager.

21 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Working on the assumption that Dean’s sacking was not a knee jerk reaction to the 5 game losing streak, and more to do with 2021 as a whole, do you think NSWE held back a bit with transfer funds in the summer with possible funds needed for a new manager for the January window?

Its stupid if true as it defeats the purpose of the structure they have built. A new manager is supposed to just slot in regardless of the players 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its stupid if true as it defeats the purpose of the structure they have built. A new manager is supposed to just slot in regardless of the players 

I’m not saying it is the case, but you do wonder.

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well if they did I wouldn’t be impressed.  Hinder your manager because you are undecided.  We needed a defensive midfielder at least and could’ve been the difference for example in the Wolves game.  That game destroyed a lot of confidence, if we had won that game after beating Everton and Man U, despite losing to Spurs we would’ve had three wins in four and who knows, with that confidence, how the last few games would’ve gone…confidence spreads plus our midfield wouldn’t have been so decimated last game.  You either back your current manager or sack him, if they did that I hope they never do that again with the next manager.

I’m not saying that they did, it just makes you think with talk of funds being available in January. Perhaps at the start of the season we thought we had enough, but they’ve changed their mind. I’m obviously just speculating here.

32 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m not saying that they did, it just makes you think with talk of funds being available in January. Perhaps at the start of the season we thought we had enough, but they’ve changed their mind. I’m obviously just speculating here.

I know mate, just hope they didn’t.  I hope they don’t work that way.  I think it maybe just the funds that were earmarked for the likes of JWP and ESR maybe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Likely Gerrard will take a couple from Rangers. Dont know a lot about them but we've been linked with morelos, kent and kamara in the past

Kamara probably best bet as he's a DM and looked decent for Finland in the euros. Think they've got Croatian LB aswell who's pretty good so could be one to get in to challenge Targett.

I'd hope not though really as I don't think someone like Morelos is better than Ings for example and they'd want 20m + for him unless his contract has nearly finished.

Our squad is good enough imo so don't see the point in getting 3-4 Rangers players in and then realizing six months later they don't have quality to get us above 8th in the league. Then we're stuck with them.

• Like 1

Don’t think targets will shift at all with Gerrard  obviously an integral part, but one would bet they will have targets lined up who are respectively, better players than Kamara and Kent. Helenader CB was linked before though. Think LB cover, new CB & CDM required… Being greedy a dedicated LW would be bonus. Oh and Alvarez Please .. Not all gunna happen but we just need slight tweaking to add further quality in depth and cover our current deficiencies to suit Gerrard’s high press set up especially. I cannot wait to see Gerrard get hold of Luiz and McGinn, think we will see a more tenacious and dynamic Luiz especially, and let’s hope McGinn’s fitness holds… 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Kamara probably best bet as he's a DM and looked decent for Finland in the euros. Think they've got Croatian LB aswell who's pretty good so could be one to get in to challenge Targett.

I'd hope not though really as I don't think someone like Morelos is better than Ings for example and they'd want 20m + for him unless his contract has nearly finished.

Our squad is good enough imo so don't see the point in getting 3-4 Rangers players in and then realizing six months later they don't have quality to get us above 8th in the league. Then we're stuck with them.

I wanted him when for us in the championship when he was the best player on the park for Osijek against them.

Probably below the standard of what we'd want these days though.

Joe Aribo is a decent player, I remember being very impressed with him for Charlton in the League One play-Offs, he went to Rangers and has seemingly done well and is now being linked with a £10m move to Palace. He, Kent and Kamara, are the ones probably most likely to be linked if Gerrard is appointed, Kamara would probably be the most likely as he plays in a position where we're most in need.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Joe Aribo is a decent player, I remember being very impressed with him for Charlton in the League One play-Offs, he went to Rangers and has seemingly done well and is now being linked with a £10m move to Palace. He, Kent and Kamara, are the ones probably most likely to be linked if Gerrard is appointed, Kamara would probably be the most likely as he plays in a position where we're most in need.

Sounds like a sweet guy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Newcastle and West Ham have now both been injected with money and will be stiff competition for signings in January. This won't be easy and I expect some degree of disappointment. 

Newcastle will be busy signing Journeymen on 300k a week (Coutinho, Ramsey etc). 

In the main we operate in the young, hungry, talented sector. West Ham will be direct competition (Benhrama and Bowen look like big misses)