January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Of course, all we have to work off is the reports - granted from valid sources in some cases - so if they're was any embellishment then fair enough, but from the information we have to work with it appears as though Villa were just led down the river by the players' respective agents, and even were that not the case and they did want the move I'm not sure any of the touted figures would have been remotely near what was needed to get the job done. Was just an odd outlier to me given the need for a signing specifically in the mould of JWP, especially considering how well they were able to get the signings you mention over the line.

If they'd managed to get Emile Smith-Rowe to Villa Park I'm sure we'd be in a much much better position than we're in right now. JWP I can take or leave, but Smith-Rowe would've been an incredible signing. Based on how much he's kicked on this season he would've filled the Grealish shaped hole quite nicely.

Of course his agent was using us to get him a better contract but if there was even a 5% chance of him coming here it was worth pursuing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

If they'd managed to get Emile Smith-Rowe to Villa Park I'm sure we'd be in a much much better position than we're in right now. JWP I can take or leave, but Smith-Rowe would've been an incredible signing. Based on how much he's kicked on this season he would've filled the Grealish shaped hole quite nicely.

Of course his agent was using us to get him a better contract but if there was even a 5% chance of him coming here it was worth pursuing.

Agreed all round, ESR is excellent but obviously a different type of player to JWP, who given the Buendia and Bailey signings in retrospect is just in a position it was more necessary to get done given the current state of the squad. As I said, no issue with going for either, was just the apparent manner of it that surprised me really considering I don't think anyone anywhere would have expected them to happen as a result of the offers that were reported.

I'd be surprised if we bring in more than a couple of players.   It's January, notoriously difficult and expensive.  I think they'll do enough business to be reasonably certain of being clear of relegation and use the summer window to kick on.

• Like 1

My first choice for a DM in Jan would be Mikel Merino. Knows the league from his days at Newcastle and has developed into an elite player since then. Still only 25. He’d be pricey but worth it IMO. 

Also been reading good things about Orel Mangala a Belgium DM at Stuttgart who also happen to have the perfect left back for us in Borna Sosa. He fits Gerrard’s vision of attacking full backs perfectly IMO and would compliment  Cash. 

Once again, we need a top class DM, if we only sign one player in jan, it needs to be that.

I almost have some confidence that Gerrard will actually fix the long standing issue, he wont like our powder puff midfield i dont think.

i wonder if we could offload a few in Jan also.

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

My first choice for a DM in Jan would be Mikel Merino. Knows the league from his days at Newcastle and has developed into an elite player since then. Still only 25. He’d be pricey but worth it IMO. 

Also been reading good things about Orel Mangala a Belgium DM at Stuttgart who also happen to have the perfect left back for us in Borna Sosa. He fits Gerrard’s vision of attacking full backs perfectly IMO and would compliment  Cash. 

I hope we go for Cheick Doucoure in Jan before Arsenal sweep him up, and if Targett doesn’t perform then a new LB as well. 

El Ghazi out & probably Davis too. JPB & Archer are fine as cover. 

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

I like Targett but he doesn’t offer the same attacking output or ability as Cash. Sosa or Hickey add attacking skill and depth. 

I’d be willing to bet Targett has a significantly higher attacking output than Cash on goals, assists, chances created or any other metric you choose to pick. (I might be totally wrong).

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I’d be willing to bet Targett has a significantly higher attacking output than Cash on goals, assists, chances created or any other metric you choose to pick. (I might be totally wrong).

This season? Targett has the edge in quite a lot of offensive stats. Not all of them, but most of them.

The stat I want to highlight the most is their key passes stats. Targett has had 14 this season. Cash has had 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

This season? Targett has the edge in quite a lot of offensive stats. Not all of them, but most of them.

The stat I want to highlight the most is their key passes stats. Targett has had 14 this season. Cash has had 3.

I would love to see those supposed 14 key passes from Targett as every time i have watched him he has been attrocious. In the one game alone at Villa Park he had eleven opportunities (More than any of our players in that game) to create something from good positions and he wasted every single one of them in shocking style.

As for Cash i do like him but he really needs to work on his crossing & shooting. If you remember that goal he scored against Everton (a very good strike too), he has had the exact same situation many times but on every other occasion he's skied it miles over the bar. If he could sort that out & finish more like in the Everton game he'd be a great player.

For me our fullbacks are one of the weaknesses of this team.

Maybe someone new on the left of midfield instead of another atrocious player (ElGhazi) who could be on the same wavelength as Targett may help but i fear he needs replacing in all honesty & he rode the Grealish wave previously which made him look better than he is.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Unfortunately a lot of those assists were for the opposition.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Any good and gettable DMs available in January?

Yes, Cheick Doucouré at Lens. Only 21 and we were linked to him over the summer. Arsenal now sniffing around but no reason we can’t pick him up. We’d lose him for the African tournament but it’s only a few weeks. Potential Ndidi type player we desperately need, imo. If we’d got him last window I reckon Deano would still be here. 

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I imagine we’ll be linked with Glenn Kamara from Rangers. Decent player but not next level or better than what we already have IMO. 

He isn’t any better than what we have.  Hopefully we don’t go near him

• Like 2

I'm sure SG will have noted a few talented players playing against Rangers in European games, that may have been out of his price range then, but would not be now.   

Edited by John
  • Like 1