James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

14 minutes ago, sne said:

They don't want to sell him adds £20m or so to the price. Honestly think we should respect that.

Honestly I think it's the opposite. They want to sell but they know what he is worth.  Just recently Southampton were linked with Longstaff for roughly £10 million. So they have his replacement lined up as well. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Just recently Southampton were linked with Longstaff for roughly £10 million. So they have his replacement lined up as well. 

Imagine replacing JWP with Longstaff. Southampton fans must be practically suicidal. It's like PSG selling Neymar and replacing him with El Ghazi. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think JWP is better than Odegaard.

JWP is better for the needs of our team, certainly. I think we could play him in 2 with Luiz, as an 8 or a 6 in a midfield 3. 

The club won’t pay more than we can afford, so on that basis I don’t really care what he costs. He’s the missing piece of the jigsaw for this team. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

JWP is better for the needs of our team, certainly. I think we could play him in 2 with Luiz, as an 8 or a 6 in a midfield 3. 

The club won’t pay more than we can afford, so on that basis I don’t really care what he costs. He’s the missing piece of the jigsaw for this team. 

This.

He’s also a captain and a leader, something we lack massively in midfield. It’s great being linked to players like Doucoure, but we have no idea what sort of impact he will have. With Ward-Prowse you kind of get a good idea.

I still think we need 2 midfielders, but a leader like Ward-Prowse needs to be the priority.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

After losing Greal-hiss Villa need a statement signing, another Captain/leader, another international calibre type of player.

That was Ings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

From 3 England internationals to 4. Might actually make watching England bearable after this Grealish debacle that soured it for me. 

Until someone has a word in Watkins or Konsa's ear.....

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

JWP would be the biggest meltdown signing I've ever experienced as a Villa supporter (bigger than Bent).  He's one of my favorite non-Villa players in the Premier League and I've frequently watched Southampton games just because he's on the teamsheet.  He's genuinely Top 6 quality and would be a huge statement of intent by the club to show everyone that we're going to continue to try everything under our power to move up the table and gatecrash into the Champions League.  I'm absolutely baffled to see so many on here writing him off but are creaming themselves over Sarr, who none of them even heard of 3 months ago.  

I don’t think anyone’s doubting how good of a player James ward prowse is, the issue I have with this transfer myself is I don’t believe he’s what’s missing in our midfield. He’s an upgrade on our midfielders yes but we don’t need an upgrade on the type of midfielders we have we need a completely different type of midfielder all together IMO. The reason people are ‘creaming’ themselves over Sarr is he fits the mould of midfielder many including myself think we need. Ings, Bailey and Buendia were all statements of intent I think we’ve shown everyone now what we’re aiming for. Add JWP to our team that played Watford on Saturday and I feel the result would have been the same 

• Like 3

As mentioned in another thread, Joelinton and Sebastian Haller cost £40m and £45m a few years ago now. 

If we can get him for £45m + plus add ons, we've mitigated a lot of the risk of acquiring from overseas.

The next 4 - 5 years will be the peak of his career, so we shouldn't worry about resale, although Jordan Henderson is still valued at £18m on Tranfermarkt at 31 years old. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I hate all this Greedlish/ Greelhiss stuff, it’s so cringey. 

I couldn’t agree more, it’s coming across like a bitter 16 year old who’s first girlfriend left him for a better looking lad.

• Like 1

If you believe the gossips we have bid around £25m or so for him previous during the summer. Find it highly unlikely we will double that offer.

If they are interested in selling and we are interested in signing him I think something like £35m, closer to the end of the window feels more likely. Throw in another £10m when we win the CL or if he wins the Ballon d'Or,  something pointless like that if it let's them save face.

If we are going to play 4-2-3-1 I'm not keen on him at all, if we go 4-3-3 them I'd happily take him, for the right price. And £50m is not the right price IMO.

Â