James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

Is he really what we need? Genuine question... great setpiece taker, fine midfielder, but he seems like at best an upgrade on the mcginn/luiz/sanson spot when what we need is a Rice, Phillips, McTominay,  Fletcher, Keane sort of midfielder. 

Haven't seen enough of him so happy to be told I'm wrong!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Is he really what we need? Genuine question... great setpiece taker, fine midfielder, but he seems like at best an upgrade on the mcginn/luiz/sanson spot when what we need is a Rice, Phillips, McTominay,  Fletcher, Keane sort of midfielder. 

Him and bissouma in that central midfield 2 tales us from soft in the middle to strong throughout the entire spine of the team.

Totally changes us to a team who can dominate the ball and the tempo of a game.

We don't hold or win the ball well and distribution is often too slow going back and forth to a midfielder then defence and back again several times due to lack of distribution, quality on the ball and calmness on the ball.

JWP is as good as we can get at the moment for a recognised quality midfielder. 

People want to unearth the next kante for 1 million shekels, we need a quality player there now. Not a punt in the dark no ones heard of. 42.5 to 50 million is what it may take and people are also scared of that. Don't be.

11 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

I'd argue we need him AND a combative midfielder like you've mentioned to be honest. It's by far the weakest spot in our team.

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Him and bissouma in that central midfield 2 tales us from soft in the middle to strong throughout the entire spine of the team.

Totally changes us to a team who can dominate the ball and the tempo of a game.

We don't hold or win the ball well and distribution is often too slow going back and forth to a midfielder then defence and back again several times due to lack of distribution, quality on the ball and calmness on the ball.

JWP is as good as we can get at the moment for a recognised quality midfielder. 

People want to unearth the next kante for 1 million shekels, we need a quality player there now. Not a punt in the dark no ones heard of. 42.5 to 50 million is what it may take and people are also scared of that. Don't be.

I think we're on the same page, but JWP is lower priority. I'd punt 60m on the ball playing holding midfielder though and live with the current squad options. Kante is out of this world, but there have been many ballplaying DMs who would be good enough. 

42 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

So if he’s better than what we have, surely that’s improving the team? 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

So if he’s better than what we have, surely that’s improving the team? 

Well.. yeah... but it's about priorities. JWP is a minor upgrade on existing staff, a 60M DM would be a major upgrade on a massive hole.

For example, we're not saying we should sign Pau Torres, even though he'd be an upgrade on Konsa, because CB isn't as big a priority. 

We’d be mad to pay anymore over 35m for JWP. I’m a big fan but that seems like extortion. 
He’s their captain and they have lost a lot of quality this summer. I can see why they have set a high bar, they can’t afford to lose another. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Southampton apparently have set £50m as the fee they would accept for JWP  (from Birmingham Live}

Hence the reason we likely aren’t buying, stupid money. Like him and think he improves us but they’re taking the piss, much like many teams will be with fees associated with us now

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Southampton apparently have set £50m as the fee they would accept for JWP  (from Birmingham Live}

Is he not worth that? It can't be far off. £45million and they've got a deal!

I would love JWP, he would improve our first 11, but he also isnt the fix to our imbalanced first 11.

McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey are 8s or 10s.

Luiz i think is an 8.

Nakamba is a 6 but isnt good enough.

JWP tbh, is an 8 also.

We need a 6, our problem is we have a proverbial s*** ton of good 8s and 10s, but zero top class 6s.

We can buy JWP and he will improve the first 11, but he isnt going to fix our major imbalance at 6 i dont think.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Inspiration said:

Hence the reason we likely aren’t buying, stupid money. Like him and think he improves us but they’re taking the piss, much like many teams will be with fees associated with us now

The Grealish transfer has inflated values elsewhere: have a decent player? Pivotal to your team? Cool, his value just went up £10m. Is he English like Grealish? Oh, that player's value went up ~£20m. 

It's the classic Graham Taylor thing: Alpay gets into the Team of the Tournament at the World Cup in 2002. The same time that Rio Ferdinand is moving to Man Utd from Leeds for £30m. Taylor hears of interest from Leeds in Alpay and says Alpay was in the WC team of the tournament, Rio didn't: ergo, the price goes up.

Fair enough, Leeds were taking the piss in that case, but it's this idea that record transfers f*ck up the market. They recalibrate everything making it a crap time to actually buy players.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would love JWP, he would improve our first 11, but he also isnt the fix to our imbalanced first 11.

McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey are 8s or 10s.

Luiz i think is an 8.

Nakamba is a 6 but isnt good enough.

We need a 6, our problem is we have a proverbial s*** ton of good 8s and 10s, but zero top class 6s.

We can buy JWP and he will improve the first 11, but he isnt going to fix our major imbalance at 6 i dont think.

I think all this is about right

Â