James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

£50m is far too much for JWP.

I'm sure you could get better for less nearer deadline day.

I wouldn't even mind us taking a punt in Ndombele, since he's out of favour at Spurs. Fits the bill for what we need (strong DM with a decent shot) and Smith would sort out his apparent 'attitude issues', no doubt. To be fair, I'd have attitude issues too if I had to deal with Mourinho (and the rest of the boring Spurs players) for however long.

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Not really. A proven top quality PL striker in his prime will be worth more than the 30m we paid for Watkins. Will JWP be worth in excess of 50m in 2 years time? Not so sure. 

Danny Ings 😉

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Ben White was £50m. I see this as a similar level of a signing. 

Ben white is more handsome, have you not seen that jaw line?

JWP looks like a nice boy, not someone who’s going to steel our wives away. 

£50m is far too much for a plain James 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Ben White was £50m. I see this as a similar level of a signing. 

So do I, but everyone was also surprised at 50 mil for Ben White. 

The market is what it is. Good English players are a premium. Clubs have to decide whether it is worth it or not. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

£50m is far too much for JWP.

I'm sure you could get better for less nearer deadline day.

I wouldn't even mind us taking a punt in Ndombele, since he's out of favour at Spurs. Fits the bill for what we need (strong DM with a decent shot) and Smith would sort out his apparent 'attitude issues', no doubt. To be fair, I'd have attitude issues too if I had to deal with Mourinho (and the rest of the boring Spurs players) for however long.

They paid £60m+ for him. Levy would want at least that for him.

Hopefully Rob Mackenzie finds us a strong DM. It would be great if we didn’t have to pay shit loads for players after other clubs had identified and signed them. Otherwise there’s no real point having a scouting team.

Ward-Prowse is a little different as he was a youth player for Southampton, but it would be so good if we found our own Ndidi or Bissouma instead of buying them off of another PL club for shit loads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So do I, but everyone was also surprised at 50 mil for Ben White. 

The market is what it is. Good English players are a premium. Clubs have to decide whether it is worth it or not. 

Exactly the bit highlighted in bold.  White, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Chilwell, Sancho, Grealish etc, have all been sold for obscene amounts. Rice and Phillips talked about as £60-70 million players. Don’t even get me started on Kane and his £150m value.

I can see why Southampton think he’s worth £50m. He’s their captain and an England capped player. Unfortunately, compared to someone from abroad, the value looks poor but it’s around the going rate for an England international player.

Personally, I reckon this move will happen before the window shuts and will be around £40m, with perhaps some add ons.

7 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

just for context, arsenal are paying £30m for martin odegaard. if we spend £50m on james ward-prowse, I don't even know what to say.

For context you’re missing out other factors 

Wages

Existing contracts

Madrid want rid 

10 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

just for context, arsenal are paying £30m for martin odegaard. if we spend £50m on james ward-prowse, I don't even know what to say.

Someone like Odegaard wouldn't even think about us...

We have to know our standing in the scheme of things, we are currently trying to punch above our weight and get out of midtable obscurity.

Also, I think the fact that there is no cultural shock and he is already an astablished PL midfielder is worth an extra 5-10m.

No first season syndrome, not missing France/Italy/Nigeria etc, no language barrier, he already knows many of the guys, he is a captain, Southampton don't want to sell. 

He is probably a £35m player. But the smaller factors all add up to the quoted price tag.

• Like 3

Â