James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd rather we sign Bissouma than JWP but there is no doubt in my mind that JWP would improve our midfield and I really think we need to improve our midfield.

Is he worth £50m? I've no idea what players are worth these days and I don't much care. If we sign him we've a better chance of progressing than if we don't and that is all I'm bothered about.

I've a few colleagues that support Southampton. They don't think he's worth £50 million. 

Compared it to Everton signing Sigurdsson. 

Not good 

1 minute ago, Villastine said:

I've a few colleagues that support Southampton. They don't think he's worth £50 million. 

Not good 

Maybe it depends who you speak to? I didn’t think Jack was worth 100m but others felt we were being done over. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd rather we sign Bissouma than JWP but there is no doubt in my mind that JWP would improve our midfield and I really think we need to improve our midfield.

Is he worth £50m? I've no idea what players are worth these days and I don't much care. If we sign him we've a better chance of progressing than if we don't and that is all I'm bothered about.

I agree. Some fans take the fee so personally. Nobody dipping into our pockets taking money, If Villa want to pay whatever it takes to get him, who gives a crap. And yes, he would make us better.

3 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Just had a look on their forum. Let's just say they're not exactly raging about the prospect of his sale. https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/58792-interest-in-jwp/#comments

Their fans are starting to do what I did when we sold Milner. I convinced myself that it was a very good amount of money, plus we got Stephen Ireland. I thought if we could get Ireland back to his best we wouldn’t miss Milner at all.

In truth that deal was absolutely awful for us.

I’m guessing some of their fans don’t realise or appreciate what Ward-Prowse does for that team, and think that they can just buy much better with that money.

• Like 2

When the rumour was Luiz to Roma the figure knocked around here was about £35m.  For McGinn to Liverpool it was £45-50m. 

£45-50m (or £X cash plus player(s) ) for JWP seems like the going rate for someone better than Luiz or McGinn.

Covid just hasn’t deflated the market in the way fans hoped it would. 

Also from that Southampton forum, Ings and JWP combined to score 70% of their goals last season. Adding more goals to this Villa team is a very good thing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

image.gif.0b6de86d70059476eaa011907641c71d.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villastine said:

Not good 

Smith and Lange were dazzled by his free kick goals last season. Msybe too dazzled. But it ain't our money...

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

An open question to all V’talkers:

Free kicks aside (not discounting their value to a team) is he better in open play than McGinn, Nakamba and Luiz? 

Yes...  His passing and vision is superb and eclipses the lot of them.  While he doesn't have the motor of McGinn, his reading of the game is much better and tends to be in the right place at the right time, both offensively and defensively.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Free kicks aside (not discounting their value to a team) is he better in open play than McGinn, Nakamba and Luiz? 

I think I've made my feelings clear on this one but to reiterate, no. Not significantly better. Once you take out all his dead ball ability, his stats are not much better than our current options.

Worse dribbler than Luiz

Worse open play shot creator and goal scorer than Mcginn

Worse defender than Nakamba

His passing stats are deceptive simply because of the amount of time he is on the ball. His passing accuracy is actually rather poor.

I don't think there's any more damning statistic than the fact that out of 8 goals and 7 assists last season, only a single goal came from open play and all of his assists came from corners and free kicks.

It's not necessarily a quirk of last season too. 4 open play assists in the last combined 4 seasons. That amounts to 1 open play assist per season. The goal scoring isn't much better either. 8 open play goals in the same time period although only 2 goals if you look at the more recent 2 seasons.

Edit: Technically, he may have 3 goals from open play in the past 2 seasons. It depends on whether you consider scoring a goal from a rebound from a failed penalty as "open-play".

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

McGinn - no

Luiz - no

Nakamba - yes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think there's any more damning statistic than the fact that out of 8 goals and 7 assists last season, only a single goal came from open play and all of his assists came from corners and free kicks.

It’s this damning?! McGinn scored a total of 3 goals last season… thats 5 less than, McGinn assisted 5, that’s 2 less, so JWP contributed 7 more goals than McGinn whilst in an inferior team. 

Can you imagine how many more goals we would’ve scored with JWP in the squad last season with all the fouls we had won. 

Hopefully Bailey has a knack of winning free kicks too if we pick up JWP. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 1

Â