James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

Business post the Grealish sale was always going to be difficult to get value. JWP for £50m is only worth it if the current squad plus JWP gets Europe and extra TV money latest next year as per our plan. Even then I think we'd get better value paying well over the odds still (as the whole world knows we just got £100m) for a player playing in a top European league. they'd still get to feel like they were fleecing us but it would be a lot less expensive than shopping in the UK.

• Like 1

I would like us to sign JWP if we were able to get him for a reasonable price, but if I’m honest I don’t see our midfield becoming any tougher with him in the side, I think we’d still be seeing the same complaints in the match threads after defeats about our soft midfield. What we don’t have in our midfield is a strong, combative player who will get in opponents faces, I don’t feel that JWP fits that bill either.

• Like 1

I think he’d be a great signing, not just for his quality from set pieces but he’s also excellent in general play too. Southampton will want a lot of money for him but I think we should pay it. From watching from afar, he seems to have a great attitude and wants to improve and be the best player that he can be. If we do sign him, it will annoy Southampton fans especially after signing Ings too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Southampton apparently have set £50m as the fee they would accept for JWP  (from Birmingham Live}

he he he

Are they still goin.

Seems like we're playing a game of chicken with them, they are a selling club, everyone of there players has a price and we are a buying club with money. 

For this to happen, both parties need to budge, 40m including bonuses is a fair number.

It's not my money, we can afford it.

Think we should sign him.

Apart from Sanson who admittedly we haven't really seen much of, Ward-Prowse (I think) would be our best midfielder.

£50 million for a Captain of a PL team and current England International seems about right. If we get him it improves Villa and weakens another potential rival.

Ward-Prowse might get us top into the six too!

45 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This. JWP is fairly similar to Luiz

I agree ..... apart from one is a dynamic, positive, improving midfielder and the other plays for Villa !!!

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Whilst it's a lot of money, I feel he's a player we genuinely need. There will be no doubt be better options abroad for that type of money but the risk factor is far higher.

Or we could just wait for another opportunity else where. 

We have a good enough squad to get us through this season, safely 

He’s not the defensive destroyer that most want but he would improve our ball retention no end. Plus his free kicks and corners are outstanding. Whether that’s worth £50m, I’m not sure, but I’m happy for the club to pay it if we think it will make us better. 

• Like 1

Â