James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

8 minutes ago, commander said:

he'd be a 'head turner' signing, but I'd rather we get someone who is an out and out 6. 

Makes me wonder why we've got such a fantastic recruitment team in (including the man that found Kate, Mahrez and Ndidi) and we've basically just gone out and bought what a bloke down the pub would've said.  Ings, Tuanzebe, Young and JWP are great signings, but we've almost definitley paid a premium on all of them and most of them have alreay peaked - I would've much preferred a better balance of established and ones with a heigher ceiling. 

I think IF we sign JWP Smith will be right up against it, he's bought 'ready made' players and we've invested heavily. Another 11th or even 10th just won't be deemed good enough with this squad and the money spent. 

Oh and we still don't have a great number 6 nor a starting left winger.

You just wonder with their stats based approach. Success in the PL must be weighted far higher. At the end of the day everyone always quotes the overseas players that came over for peanuts and make it, but there's so many that fail.

Would you rather pay 25mm for a player that has a 50% chance of being our guy. Or pay 50mm for a player that is close to 100% certainty. It's not as straight up as picking the cheaper option.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Some thought we fleeced Citeh for Greal-hiss...

Swings and roundabouts.

We did. Grealish is never a 100m pound player but as we got that fee we might now have pay over the odds to sign someone like JWP.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

A midfield 3 of Luiz, JWP and McGinn/Sanson should be pretty damn good, and in line with the quality we have up front and in defence.

Christ man it's not 2011. There's no such thing as a 'midfield' anymore, positions no longer exist. Just vibes. 

In all seriousness on paper that sounds absolutely class, although I would have a preference for JWP at the base of the trio and Luiz the most advanced of the 3. 

• Haha 2

Just now, maqroll said:

We'll see how desperate clubs are as August 30 gets nearer. 

Totally agree. I think some of these French/Spanish/Italian teams might get a bit twitchy if they haven’t got the big money they wanted for some of their players earlier in the window..

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Christ man it's not 2011. There's no such thing as a 'midfield' anymore, positions no longer exist. Just vibes. 

In all seriousness on paper that sounds absolutely class, although I would have a preference for JWP at the base of the trio and Luiz the most advanced of the 3. 

Agree with a preference to have him at the base but I imagine dean would play him the right of a 3, use his crossing from deep in the inside right a la de bruyne 

Ir just sell him back to Genk for 5m. Get him off the books. 

Sad that his injury torpedoed his Villa career, but maybe he can salvage his football career in a less demanding league with a club that has nurtured him before.

31 minutes ago, commander said:

he'd be a 'head turner' signing, but I'd rather we get someone who is an out and out 6. 

Makes me wonder why we've got such a fantastic recruitment team in (including the man that found Kate, Mahrez and Ndidi) and we've basically just gone out and bought what a bloke down the pub would've said.  Ings, Tuanzebe, Young and JWP are great signings, but we've almost definitley paid a premium on all of them and most of them have alreay peaked - I would've much preferred a better balance of established and ones with a heigher ceiling. 

I think IF we sign JWP Smith will be right up against it, he's bought 'ready made' players and we've invested heavily. Another 11th or even 10th just won't be deemed good enough with this squad and the money spent. 

Oh and we still don't have a great number 6 nor a starting left winger.

Sorry, just to clarify

Tuanzebe - a loan for a backup centre back - i don't think he has peaked at all

Young - free transfer. Won Serie A last year and superfit. Provides cover for a number of areas

Ings - one of the top goal-scorers over the last couple of years. One year older than Kane (and Lukaku) and a quarter of the price. Still many good years in him. 

JWP at £50m would definitely be 'top end' but its not my money. If the club think he's worth it, they'll pay it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Totally agree. I think some of these French/Spanish/Italian teams might get a bit twitchy if they haven’t got the big money they wanted for some of their players earlier in the window..

Yes I think you’ll find Jonny Foreigner will soon fall into line, once he realises the game’s up. 

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I posted earlier something along the lines that its a difficult deal to get through and will only be sanctioned once they have signed his replacement. 

I wonder if we're in for a Delphinho Thursday tomorrow.

Image result for eric morcombe gif

• Like 1

I hate to use a transfer window cliche but pretty sure we are "testing Southampton's resolve" with this waiting period.  They have a # and we aren't willing to meet it so we will drag this towards the end of the window and see if they blink. 

19 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Ir just sell him back to Genk for 5m. Get him off the books. 

Sad that his injury torpedoed his Villa career, but maybe he can salvage his football career in a less demanding league with a club that has nurtured him before.

Wouldn't doing that make him a whopping great loss for FFP?  If I understand how that works, which I don't really.  Either way I'd prefer us to loan out Wes for a season and see how he goes.

Ward-Prowse would add loads to our midfield and as said above, you know what you get with him so there is no danger.  Yes we might get a cheaper option that most likely will take a while to settle but we already have that player in Sanson.  I say get it done before Spurs sell Kane and have money to throw around.

Â